14,680 results
All reviewspremier lobbycozumel buffetle gourmeta la cartesfishgolden lobbyplaya del carmensnack barquiet poolkids water parkakumal beachshow tablemichael jackson showmain buffetother resortsgreat resortactivity pool
Reviewed 14 May 2010

Hola! :o)
Very impressed with our vacation! We have stayed at the GBP in Punta Cana as well, so we decided to check out the GBP in Mexico since neither of us have been before. We had an awesome time!

This review might be a little long...but I am definately going to give some good tips and reviews especially if you are a first-time traveller to this resort/and or Mexico. Well, first off, coming from Toronto, ON Canada where the weather is ridiculously cold and rainy for mid-May we had the most amazing weather in Mexico! Considering it poured and hailed 5 out of 7 days straight for our last vacation to Punta Cana---we prepared ourselves this time for all types of weather! But to our surprise we had clear blue skies, hot (but very bearable) temperatures, and nothing but constant sunshine!

The GBP consists for 3 separate resorts (Akumal, Tulum & Coba) we had the opportunity to check out all 3, so I can write a little review on all. Since we stayed at Coba, I will start with that one!

COBA: We went as a couple (ages 25-30)...this resort is massive! Coba is the farthest from the beach (takes about a 10 minute trolley ride to get there). However, Coba has the best pools---fun poolside activities all day, everyday (bingo, water aerobics, Zumba, water polo, volleyball etc..) Also amazing poolside lunches freshly cooked daily by a chef (lobster paella (amazing), bbq'd chicken, burgers & hotdogs, risotto, pasta etc etc...very handy as you don't have to give up your lounge chair to go eat lunch at a buffet! There is an activity and lunch schedule included with the package they give you at check-in. The staff were so amazing and very friendly...always smiling and always very interested to hear about our lives back home. Coba is definately the more "up beat" section...lots of music played by the pool, and the travellers there just seemed more personable and willing to have a good time! Here are a few suggestions:
*wake up early if you want a lounge chair under an umbrella---most are snatched up by 10am, and there are LOTS of ignorant people that throw their towels on a lounge chair and leave for HOURS at a time.. and I mean HOURS...even though there is a sign on all the umbrellas to "please not reserve a lounge chair if you are not there!" Just common courtesy, right?
*there is a swim-up bar and a standing bar at Coba as well (the pool is huge, but it is split in 2 sections by a bridge) There is a drink billboard posted behind the bar of all their specialty drinks that are much worth trying. As always, the cerveza is great! XX beer (Dos Equis) always stocked in your mini fridge and on tap at all the bars. Margaritas are fantastic as well as "Malibu & Pineapple", "Dirty Monkey's", "Blue Hawaii's" and "Coco Bananas"...they are definately not stingey with the alcohol so make sure to have a few waters in between! :o)
*Coba has a big buffet in the lobby (Kukulcan), however being the busiest section on the resort, it is the busiest buffet. We never had to wait for a table, but we did find that it was the exact same food every single day, however, there is a MUCH better buffet at Tulum.
*There are also nightly activies outside Kukulcan buffet at Coba (salsa lessons, karaoke, Mexican band shows etc etc) these usually start around 8pm-10pm and draw in a fairly large crowd of people.
*The bar located inside the Coba lobby is very small and slow for some reason. We always had to wait in a line of at least 10 people to get a drink. But there is a larger bar right behind it in the auditorium that is much better.

TULUM: Like I said before, Tulum has the best buffet...much larger than Coba and we found that the food in general was much fresher and alot more variety. Not saying that Coba wasn't fresh or had variety...but if your looking to get away from the crowded area at Coba it is much worth the 3 minute trolley ride to Tulum.

AKUMAL: We didn't visit Akumal too often, however we did eat at their buffet for dinner one night (figured we'd check them all out) and were not impressed. It was extremely small with not much variety... but is very quiet and empty if that's what you are looking for.

LA HACIENDA/DONA ISABEL (shopping area on resort):
*Lots of shops on the resort! You cannot barter in the indoor shops (the ones on the perimeter as they all have set prices) but don't be afraid to barter at the outdoor huts...never pay what they are asking as you are a fool if you do so! Same goes for Playa del Carmen if you get a chance to go shopping there! There is a Sports Pub and a Disco located at La Hacienda as well. Great for nightlife and if you like to dance or listen to live music.

BEACH: We didn't spend much time at the beach unfortunately. It is very rocky and just like the pools, the lounge chairs are all snatched up by early morning. We went in the off season as well...I can just imagine the fight for lounge chairs during spring break...NO THANK YOU! Suggestion...bring water shoes! You will need them! Buy them BEFORE you go as well, as they are fairly pricey at the resort, not made well, and not alot of sizes especially for adults. Also, invest in a cheap set of snorkeling gear and an underwater camera...there are alot of tropical fish and coral on the beach to see. The beach was definately beautiful, but we preferred being at the pools instead.

RESTAURANTS/A LA CARTES:
We got 3 choices for our a la cartes. We chose the Mexican Tequila (Tulum), La Gourmet (Coba) and La Pescadore (seafood at Coba).
MEXICAN TEQUILA: definately would NOT reccommend. We were very disappointed in this restaurant considering it is a Mexican restaurant in Mexico! Also to add, we overheard many other tables commenting on the same thing as well. It was just a weird experience...they had no guacamole, the menu was NOT Mexican whatsoever (I had salmon on asparagus and my boyfriend had chicken stuffed with mushrooms) I was expecting to see a menu with tamales, burritos, guacamole, quesos etc. but NOPE! Their desserts were pretty pathetic as well...absolutely nothing Mexican besides churros that were never replaced once empty. The only upside to this restaurant is that it is right on the water so you get the benefit of hearing the waves on the shore while eating.
LA GOURMET @ COBA: Amazing atmosphere, food and service. Your plate is literally a piece of artwork, well worth snapping a picture of. I had the lime and raspberry sea scallops as an appetizer and the duck l'orange as a main course. Both were very very good. This menu is very impressive with high-end foods that you would pay a fortune for elsewhere, and the desserts are to die for as well. We had the chocolate fondant and the grand marnier soufflet. MmMmmmm....
LA PESCADORE (SEAFOOD): This was my favourite...I love seafood...the appetizer buffet is really really good! I had the coconut shrimp as a main course and my boyfriend had the seafood trio. Both were very impressive. Best coconut shrimp I have ever had!

EXCURSIONS:
XPLOR: If you get a chance to go to Xplor DO IT! It is awesome! A little pricey, but well worth it! For 2 people it was just under $260. Xplor consists of 14 ziplines, water rafting, cave swimming and driving your own 4x4 jeep through 2 jungle paths and natural caves. This is an all-day excursion so they offer you an amazing buffet lunch with high energy foods and drinks. You wear a helmet the entire time which has a micro chip in it that captures your every move. It snaps professional pictures of you while doing your activities and saves them to a USB port for you to buy at the end of the day. You will definately need water shoes and lots of sunscreen for this trip!
PLAYA DEL CARMEN: Great if you are not afraid to barter! There are thousands of shops and it would take days to go through them all...it is best to shop around however, because many of the shops carry the exact same items but are willing to sell them for different prices. Like I said before...NEVER pay their asking prices, because it is always ridiculously high. They will holler at you in the street to get you into their shops! But don't be afraid to say no thank you and keep walking! For example: I went into a sterling silver shop to buy a bracelet. The salesman started me off at the price of $85 US...haha! Yeah right! Let's just say I left the store WITH the bracelet only paying $20! They expect you to barter...they enjoy it! You could leave Playa del Carmen with a garbage bag full of stuff for only $50 if you are smart about it! Also, when at the resort...to get to Playa del Carmen, make sure you take the "Collectivo". It is a white van that is located outside of La Hacienda, which also takes you to the Tulum ruins for a fee of only $3 per person each way. It is very safe and convenient. It brings you there and picks you up at the same location. Very easy to use. Do not pay the prices through a travel rep as they will charge you about $15 per person each way...take the collectivo.
TULUM RUINS: Considering our vacation was only 7 days we did not get the chance to see any of the ruins. However, people we met on the resort as well as our travel rep. told us that this is the last year they are letting people climb the ruins. The reason behind this is because the Mayan people believe that the world is going to end on December 21, 2012 with a solar disaster (as their calendar goes no further than that year) it is a very spiritual belief on their part, therefore they are trying to preserve the ruins. Our travel rep suggested for us to go and see them, but we just didn't get around to doing it...our next vacation will definately be 10 days as there is so much to do and see! He also advised us that if you go to Tulum there is an awesome beach but absolutely no shade.

ROOMS: Rooms are very clean and well kept. Mini fridge is always stocked with beer, water, pop and snacks. Even when we did not hang our "needs cleaning" sign on the doorknob for the maid, our room was still cleaned up (bed always made, fresh sheets, towels and fridge stocked.) The only downside to the bathroom was the crappy shower curtain. We always managed to soak the floor while showering even while being super careful not to. Good tip: ask for a mattress pad during check-in...the beds are extremely hard for some reason and even with the mattress pad I still had a sore back in the morning...but the pad does help I suppose! There is also an extra pillow in the closet, an iron (but no ironing board), hangers and plastic laundry bags for wet clothing. To iron our clothes we just took one of the hard cushions off the back of the couch and used that...worked well enough. The bathrooms are stocked daily with the usual shampoo (no conditioner), body wash (kind of like dish soap), bar soaps and shower caps. We always bring our own however as the stuff they give you is not very good.

WHAT TO BRING: Big mistake on my part...I did not bring any bug repellant. The mosquitos, flys and red ants were pretty viscous this month...definately bring some...esp. for nighttime! Bring lots of sunscreen and SPF chapstick as well (sun is extremely dangerous this time of year) I actually ended up burning my eyelids (I know...stupid me!) while laying in the sun for 20 minutes...tip: if you go tanning, bring your little tanning goggles with you that way you won't get sunglasses lines on your face and you won't burn your eyelids like I did! :o)
It was not fun!
--Bring a bubba (insulated thermos mug) can be purchased at WalMart or Target for under $20...very convenient! We bought Canadian ones...I gave mine to the pool bartender at Coba, so if you see it, tell them us crazy Canadians said hi and we miss them! Keeps your drinks cold and prevents you from having to get up several times for a new drink considering the glasses they give you are fairly small (esp. for beer drinkers!)
--Bring lots of small $ bills for tipping...another good way to tip a maid is to bring her gifts from your country and leave it for her in the room with a thank you note. They appreciate the smallest things (most of what we take for granted) hair clips, tylenol, playing cards, cheap jewelry, makeup, toiletries, key chains, nailpolish etc. etc....everything is appreciated, trust me! Just go to the Dollar Store and pick up a bag of stuff!
--When you leave the resort, try to leave the majority of your toiletries for the maid (they love this) plus is makes your baggage alot less heavy coming home. --Bring watershoes (you will need them for the beach and most excursions), a water camera, extra batteries and extra sunscreen as sunscreen/tanning oil/bug repellant is very expensive to buy on the resort. A bottle of sunscreen will run you at least $25 US. It is better to bring more sunscreen than to not have enough! You will go through alot!
--Bring the "animation team" at Coba some cd's! They love upbeat music! Make a good one with tasteful music on it for them to play (minimal swearing as there are kids) ...we could tell they didn't have much to work with as they always replayed the same few cd's.
--Hmmmm what else....bring hand soap as well...its much easier and less messy than using the dry bar soap they give you. Also make sure to bring aloe vera and an unscented body lotion (to prevent bug bites) as they do not provide lotion in the room.

SHOWS: The shows were great as usual...if you get a chance to see the Michael Jackson show do it! Lev Jackson (impersonator) is awesome! All shows at Coba start at 10pm and usually last for at least 1 hour. Get there about 20 minutes early if you are planning to see Michael Jackson however, this is a very popular show and the auditorium is always packed!

Well I think I'm going to conclude my book now! Sorry about the long review...I guess I just can't say enough about this place! We are so impressed with the GBP's that we want to try them all in different countries. Hopefully your vacation is as enjoyable as ours was! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to drop me a line!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
16  Thank coconut_000
Reviewed 13 May 2010

There are no words, or pictures for that matter, than can do justice for Gran Bahia Principe Coba - and anyone that has written a bad review obviously has nothing better to do with their time, then nit-pick!!
This resort has it all. Beautiful grounds that are always maintained; fabulous food (I highly recommend the Brazilian Steak House!); an awesome activity pool for those who enjoy sitting in the sun with a cold one listening to music; PLENTY of activities; shows galore; friendly staff; and delicious fruity drinks as far as the eye can see.

There are only two things that I can complain about, one: that the Coba beach is a bit rocky; it really wasn’t a big deal for us; we enjoyed the activity pool a lot more anyway. ...And two: getting loungers, which also wasn’t a huge deal. We always found one; sometimes it would just take a few laps around the pool. A word of advice, if you see a few loungers with towels on them, ask anyone near it how long the people have been gone for; if it’s longer than an hour or 2, kindly remove the towel, and the lounger is yours! (No harm, no fowl ;]). PS: The Mayan Extreme Excursion is AWESOME. Ziplining through the jungle, and snorkling in a cenote! Good times. I will definitely return.

Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2010

We went there on January 2th. to January 9th 2010 and we had a wonderful time. It was our third visit at this hotel and everything was perfect like the first time we went there !

Entertainers : The animation is fantastic ! They do everything they can to make you participating and enjoying your trip ! We want to thank especially Alex who took care of my little cousin at the Kids Club ! He's very friendly, always smiling and he's trying to to the best he can, to make you participe at the activities. THANK YOU !

Rooms : The rooms are spacious and clean.
Foods: The food is delicious. We don't have anything bad to say about it.

Don't miss the « Fiesta Mexicana » on thursday night ;) !!

We love so much this hotel that we'll go again on may 23th !! :)

Go ahead, eyes closed !!

• Stayed: January 2010
2  Thank Cath03Quebec_Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2010

This was our 5th trip to Mexico (4 times to the Mayan Riviera and 1 time to Cozumel). We all agreed that the Gran Bahia Principe Coba is in the top 2 or 3 of the resorts we have been to. Right up there with the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo and Barcelo Maya Colonial.

Arrival: We booked with Sunquest Vacations in Canada and flew with CanJet. If you don’t plan on booking with Sunquest or flying with CanJet, feel free to skip this part and go right to my review of the Coba. Sunquest was okay to deal with, but I find we do so much researching before we go (and this being our 5th trip, we knew quite a lot about the area) that we didn’t find our representative overly helpful. CanJet is the lowest “frills” airline we have ever flown. We have flown some cramped charters to Mexico before, but CanJet was the most uncomfortable. There are certain things we all must take in stride when going on a tropical all-inclusive vacation, but it was frustrating to not have a working entertainment system (no TVs) or a functional bathroom in the front of the plane for the entire flight. As far as the food, the 5.5 hour flight from Halifax to Cancun consisted of a lard muffin and yogurt. The plane going there was quite dirty, but coming home, the TVs worked and the service was better. All in all, it seemed rather hit or miss. The bus ride to the resort was rather long (we knew this going, but it shouldn’t stop anyone from going to the Coba). We stopped at 4 other resorts on the way there to drop people off. I would say it was more than a 2 hour bus ride which included a stop at a local store for drinks/beer/snacks.

Now for the resort review:

General information:
The Bahia Principe resort consists of 3 resorts, the Coba, Akumal and Tulum. When we were first considering going to the Coba, the first thing travel agents said to us was that is was “set back from the beach.” They talked as if you need to run across the highway and climb through mangroves to see the ocean - NOT TRUE! I wish this would be less emphasized because for someone who was going to Mexico for the first time, this could deter them from the Coba. Being back from the beach was a non-issue as we were in villa 2B, very close to the Akumal section. However, regardless of where you are on the resort, the beach is no more than a 3-5 minute trolly ride or 5-10 minute walk away. I really considered the resort as just one big complex. Don’t think of it being chopped up and hard to navigate. It is HUGE, but the key is to stay on the main paths. If you wonder off, yes, it would be easy to walk in circles and get lost.

Grounds:
The grounds throughout the entire resort were beautiful. The grass was green and always freshly cut. The shrubs and palm trees were always looking perfect. There is a very efficient trolly system that takes people from lobby to lobby, villa to villa, or to the hacienda and beach. We found the system to be very helpful. We never had to wait for more than 2-3 minutes for one to come, and if we were walking, many of them would stop and offer us a ride. Our first day was a little hectic in terms of trying to navigate around the resort, but once we found the main paths everything was easy to find. There were many lizards to take pictures of and also lots of birds to listen to. There was no litter anywhere. We found the cleanliness of the resort really set it apart from the Grand Palladium in the Mayan Riviera, which had grounds that were not as nicely kept (we stayed at the Palladium in 2009).

Room:
Our room was on the top (3rd) floor of villa 2B. Being in villa 2B meant we were very close to the Akumal section and the Akumal Premier Lobby. It was a great location with adjoining rooms for our family of 4 (2 in each room). We sent a room request 2 weeks prior to going. As well, we called the resort the day before going to confirm our room request. Everything was met perfectly. The room was always kept clean. We had to leave the odd note to our maid to ask for extra of some things but that was no problem. The sitting area in each room was a nice feature. It gave the room more space. Each room also had a balcony with a nice view and chairs.

Food:
The food at the resort was more than good – it isn’t like Canadian food but that’s because we weren’t in Canada. Nonetheless, it was fresh and most was tasty. The buffets were often repetitive at breakfast but the evening suppers were good. They always had a beautiful display of food and even had ice sculptures. We went to the Coba and Tulum lobbies for supper. Our lunches were usually at the Akumal lobby. There was always “made in front of your eyes” pasta, which was a favorite. The produce was also very fresh and all the foods were the correct temperature. We didn’t eat a lot of meats down there (which was hard) but we just wanted to be safe. I am sure it would have been fine though as all the food was fresh. For a la carts we did the French Le Gormet at Coba, the International Arelquin at Akumal and Japanese Mikado at Coba. The Gormet was okay. The service was great, however, we left it a little hungry. I ordered a stuffed chicken with vegetables and just got a piece of chicken stuffed with shrimp (which was good) but a little dry due to lack of sauce or vegetables. However, the atmosphere was nice. The Arlequin was quite good. It had a beautiful setting right on the Akumal shoreline. It was my Mother’s birthday while we were down there and we told our waiter and they came out with a chocolate cake and drinks. We thought that was a nice touch. The food was also quite good. It seemed to be a bit if everything with a Mexican flare. Mikado was the best a la carte. It seemed to be a favorite of many, so I recommend reserving as soon as you arrive. We had a show table and the chef cooked everything before our eyes. They served an egg and rice/vegetable dish and also a chicken/stake/seafood dish with vegetables. It was filling and delicious, and
Pools:
The resort had many pools (I can think of at least 6 off the top of my head!). We found the Coba pools to be nice looking - islands, clean, gardens and free form. However, we spent most our days at the pool by the Akumal lobby. The Coba pool was a bit too loud, very loud speakers and activities (which is what some people really like, so not a negative comment). The Akumal pool was nice because it was right by the beach. We are the type of people that like to go from pool to ocean every hour or so, so this fit our needs better. The Akumal Pool was very pretty, with beautiful palm trees and bridges. There was another activity pool at Akumal by the snack bar and there were also pools at Tulum. Since you have access at all 3 resorts, I would take some time to explore to see which one best fits your needs.

Beach:
The beach was stunning. There was a huge long stretch of beach with white powdery sand. There were two dock/wharfs that extended out and you could swim with fish right off of them. The water was only waist deep and refreshingly warm. The waves were very big during our stay. It was a lot of fun jumping up on the sand bag “whales” and letting the waves push us off. The current was very strong in some places, but the sand bags created a quiet cove to swim. If you wanted the big waves, you just need to climb on the sand bags or go down to the Tulum Beach. I would say the Coba/Akumal beach was the nicest though. The beach was great for walking and it was also very clean. There were coral patches, but not really in the cove area, and for the most part, they were easy to spot. I would say you definitely don’t need water shoes.

Entertainment:
By the time the night rolled around we were tired pretty early so we didn’t do much entertainment. However, we did see the Michael “Lev” Jackson show which was very well done. The Coba theatre was beautiful, and the show was actually so popular that there were not enough seats for everyone - and there were a lot of seats! We also went up to the Hacienda by Tulum. It was a nice shopping village with venders and shops. We preferred bartering with the venders. It was a nice area to walk around and we even noticed some Canadians catching the hockey games in the sports bar there. Also, the lobbies had nice shops and jewelry for decent prices.

Service:
The service at the Bahia was fantastic. I found this is what set it apart from the Palladium and Barcelo in Mexico. The staff seemed to remember us from day to day and they were very friendly. The trolly drivers would offer us rides and the buffet staff would always offer us drinks. The only seldom issue was with the font desk staff at the Coba lobby. We found some of them would be very helpful and others would be less friendly. It really depended on who served you as some were more knowledgeable than others. Overall, the service was great though.

Excursions:
We have been to Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Cozumel and Tulum before and didn’t want to spend all day at a park so we decided to spend one morning at a Tulum beach. We asked our taxi driver to take us to the south Tulum beach (which we heard was as nice as the ruins beach at Tulum). It was called “El Mariachi/Paraiso” beach. It was beautiful but not as enjoyable as we had hoped because it was so windy. The sand was blowing so hard it hurt. On a calm day, I think the beach would be very nice. It was still picturesque but since it was a public beach it was not as clean as the resort beach.

Weather:
We were worried about the weather prior to going as they seemed to have been getting lots of rain. Out of our 8 days there, we had only 10 minutes of rain one lunch time and we were inside eating so it didn’t even matter. The sun was out in full force most days with the odd few minutes of cloud. It was extremely hot during our stay - hotter than ever before. Humidity was 100% everyday and it easily reached in the 40s Celsius! Overall, we had great weather.

Overall, I would stay at any three of the resorts at the Bahia Principe. I think the Coba is more grand than the others (its lobby is much bigger and a bit classier) but this is because it is the newest. All three resorts were beautiful. 1 week is never enough to enjoy what these beautiful Mayan Riviera resorts have to offer. You will love this resort!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank flyersomeone
Reviewed 11 May 2010

This was our second time to the Mayan Riviera, and first time at the Gran Bahia Prinicipe Coba. Picked this place mostly because of the price and the great reviews on this site.

BOOKING
We booked last minute on selloffvacations.com and travelled with Air Transat. We got the golden package/junior suite. No issue, requested a king size bed and got it on arrival. The only crappy part was that it was an early morning flight, so prepare yourself that your room won't be ready until 3pm when you arrive (make sure you have your swimsuits in your backpack as they take your luggage when checking in.)

CHECKING IN
Bus ride from the airport is about 1 hour-1.5 hours.

We checked in at the Premier Coba Golden lobby, although it was an exclusive lobby, we waited a while to get checked in. The bonuses with the golden package: free internet access, free room service, junior suite, full fridge everyday (beers, pop, water, chips, chocolate bars). It's worth the extra $40-50 to upgrade.

THE ROOM
The junior suite was nice and clean and included a jacuzzi bath. We had a minor issue with the fridge (it wasn't working) but advised front desk and they had someone fix it right away.

THE RESORT
The place is massive. There's three resorts that you have access to (Coba, Tulum, Akumel). Coba is a little farther from the beach than Akumel and Tulum but everything is accessible by trolley (you'll use the trolleys a lot). The place is so big that it's very easy to get lost even with the maps. If you are not into this, best to find somewhere smaller.

The place is super clean, the staff do an excellent job keeping the place immaculate. It is actually unbelievable how clean the resort is.

BEACH
The beach is a good size, the water is very shallow but a lot of the swimming in area is sectioned off due to a strong current. The beach water is very salty and hurts the eyes when swimming. Bars are easily accessible as there are 3 or 4 on the beach. Chairs under huts are hard to come by, but that was expected as it was super hot last week.

POOLS
The resort is not short of any pools, you could access one within a couple of minutes wherever you were on the resort. The nice part about the Gran Bahia Prinicipe, whether you were looking for a quiet area to swim or a loud area with music and entertainment, there was always pool for everyone's taste.

BARS
The bars were plentiful and would serve you pretty much whatever you wanted. We brought Bubba-Kegs to keep our drinks cold and these were wonderful. Sometimes the bars didn't have straws though so remember to keep your straw when you get it. Drinks were strong and the beer is some of the best beer we've drank.

DISCO/HOUSE BAND
Every night (except Thursday which is Mexican night) there is a house band at La Hacienda along with Salsa and Merengue dancing. This never seemed to last long enough and before we knew it they were singing the good-bye song. But immediately after, the disco opened which played pop and r&b music but appealed to both young and old who were dancing up a storm on the dance floor. It is very hot in there so we could never manage to stay too long.

A LA CARTES
We went to four a la cartes: Mediterranean, Seafood (Frutos Del Mar), Brazilian and Japanese. We would rate them as follows:

1. Japanese - good food, great entertainment, excellent service, great atmosphere
2. Brazilian - great food, again great service, also a good time
3. Mediteranean - excellent service, food not bad
4. Seafood - not the best food and we did not get good service here

OTHER
The staff were very warm and friendly for the most part and made us feel very welcomed, teaching us Spanish, having a shot with us or having a chat. One of the bell boys even helped our friend pack when she almost missed the bus! Jose at Akumel (near the back window) was our favourite server.

Nightly shows were very entertaining. Best show: the Michael Jackson show! Get there early to get good seats!

There were a lot of shops on the resort which were just as good if not better than the shops you would find in Playa Del Carmen.

Also, the restaurants, lobbies are not air conditioned so be prepared that the only cool area on the resort is in your room.

CHECKING OUT
Checking out was a breeze. Our bus arrived at 5:15 am so we were able to do express check out the night before, and only had to pass in our keys in the early morning. Our wake up call was a few minutes late, but this was no problem. We called for a trolley and it was there in a flash.

The resort is huge and caters to everyone's interest. There's 21 bars on this resort! We would definitely recomment this resort for a nice relaxing and entertaining vacation (young or old).

Also, buy dollar store snorkel gear, it does the trick!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple