Grand Bahia Principe Coba
  • Breakfast included
US$392
BahiaPrincipe
  • Pool
Las Villas Akumal(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$173
Orbitz.com
US$542
US$370
bedfinder
No availability for your dates from our partners
14,360 results
All reviewspremier lobbycozumel buffetle gourmeta la cartesfishgolden lobbysnack barplaya del carmenquiet poolakumal beachshow tablemichael jackson showmain buffetother resortsgreat resortdon pabloactivity pool
Reviewed 30 July 2010

First time to an all inclusive and I have to say this place was awsome! Literally all you can eat and drink 24/7!

As the others says the place is absolutely huge. You need to take a shuttle to the beach but a number of pools, restaurants, bars, and snack bars are walking distance no matter where you are staying. There is also lots of activites going on and entertainment everyday so the option to get active and party is always there if you want. Check out the Hacienda at night - they play the most addictive song that will make you come back night after night.

I could nit pick at a few things but overall I thought the food and staff were excellent time in paradise. I would highly recommend this resort for younger people and couples - less so for familes and older people just because of the size.

I will return - soon I hope.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank talltraveller90
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Returned from the Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya on 12th July after our second trip there, and I have to say it was every bit as good as the first time. Last year were stayed in Tulum, but were returning this year with our two sons and their girlfriends, and requested to say in Coba. This was a good move, as the rooms are all “junior suites” and all have spa baths.
We booked with Thomas Cook, but if we were to go again would probably go with Thomson as they give extra leg room (33in as opposed to 29in), and allow people in parties to book extra luggage allowance separately. It was a bit of a bind having to book two separate parties so the girls could get 20kg of luggage allowance. Also we found that Thomson airline staff have a better attitude to their customers.
The staff at the hotel were every bit as good as they were last year, with big smiles and a “hola” to greet you every time you meet them. If you take the trouble to learn a couple of words in Spanish, even just “Please” and “Thank You” the Mayans love you for it.
The grounds are immaculately kept, with a huge army of staff tending them, and look out for the wildlife. Along with the hundreds of iguana, we saw a number of coati, and even though we were five minutes walk from the beach, there was a huge crab outside our block one night.
The food in this place is to die for, literally!! I enjoy my food and look forward to dinner time, but even I was outfaced at times with the choice in the buffet. The food is hot and plentiful and I really cannot understand the critics who say otherwise.
Don Pablo’s was fantastic, again, whilst Dolce Vita was out of this world. Our waiter there, Alex, improved the evening from just “eating out” to a dining experience to be remembered. The Mediterranean restaurant provided another memorable meal, with the waiter, Benjamin, being very attentive and friendly. The Japanese restaurant was a wonderful experience and, although I am not one for fish, I surprised myself by really enjoying it. Others visited was the Mexican (of course), the Gourmet, and the Brazilian, all of which provided great food in a fantastic atmosphere.
Although we didn’t join in, the animation team kept everyone entertained throughout the day. Watch out for the Australian girl who thinks she can dance . . . but can’t. We were in stitches watching her cavort about the poolside, then on stage in the evening. Priceless!
I was a bit anxious as I had “bigged” the hotel up and hoped the rest of the party would not be disappointed. After the first week, I asked my elder son’s fiance if it was as good as I’d said it was. She replied that it was actually much better. Thank God.
BEWARE. Although there were lots of Spanish and Canadian people there, along with the Brits, the hotel is really geared up for the Americans, who think they own the place (mind you, don’t they think they own the world!!). They barge into queues, then give you dirty looks if you tell them where the back of the queue is, they demand to be served first at the bars, they fill their plates to overflowing, leave most of it, then complain when the chefs can’t keep the trays filled.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank Briballs
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Bahia Principe Coba is one of 3 resorts together. Huge. Takes time to get around but shuttles are frequent. If you want to be by the ocean, then go to Akumel resort but it doesn't take much time to get there from Coba by shuttle. Pools were great with swim up bar. Buffet was excellent, lots of choice. Al la carte restaurants were exceptional. Went to Le Gourmet, Mediterraneo and Mikado in Coba and Arlequin in Akumel. Never got sick. Took probiotics before and during trip and used hand sanitizer provided in the restaurants. Staff were friendly and evening entertainment was good especially the Michael Jackson show. Upgraded to Club Golden when we booked resort. Well worth it for free internet access.
Get to the beach early if you want a deck chair in the main areas. Reserving by towel is a hazard there.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2010

My family of 4 stayed here from July 17-24. We have been to several places in Mexico, including Cancun twice. I expected it to be alot like Cancun without all the partying and young drinking crowds. It was.. but the beach was nothing like Cancun. Very rocky beaches with designated swimming areas. I love the white sand but enjoy being able to go out into the ocean to play with my kids. This is my biggest complaint.

AIrport and Transfer - When we landed.. we had to wait a bit to get through customs. Then we were stopped by a representative of Aventura Spa Palace resort wanting to "invite" us to have a day at their resort on them and then book a tour package through them for up to 8 tours for only $200 for all 4 of us. Sounded like a deal, right? Well.. it was TIMESHARE and I don't like timeshare. We spend almost 3 hours listening to someone try to sell us on the resort and buying weeks with them. We continuously stated no thank you but the salesman wanted to argue with my husband about how we could not find a better deal elsewhere. Then we booked 3 out of the 8 tours and got stood up on the 2nd tour we tried to take (a zipline tour). The Tour bus never showed and when I called them on it, they stated they couldn't do anything about it. Well, my next call was to American Express who could do something about it! DO NOT STOP AND TALK TO THE PEOPLE AT THE AIRPORT. We met a few other families with the same problem.

The Resort - Bahia Principe (as with the one we stayed at in the Dominican Republic) is huge. This one is actually 3 resorts in one (Coba, Tulum and Akumal) You can use all 3 facilities for restaraunts, pools, bars and the beach. Tulum seemed to be in the best location and you could actually get rooms looking out at the ocean. We booked Coba and could see the ocean off in the distance. We also booked Gold but I don't see any true benefit. When we got to our room, there were 2 tshirts in a bag hanging on our door handle. There was a fruit basket with champagne on the little table in our room and robes and slippers for two. We had a minibar as I expect everyone else did. We got a great deal $2000 including airfare for 4 so I didn't even know we paid for Gold, so it was fine. Just don't pay extra.. you really don't get extra. The room was nice and plenty of space. The beds are very hard and we even had a pad put on ours. I didn't sleep too well the entire trip. The bathroom was nice size and the shower had great water pressure. The minibar was stocked well the first day but even after several phone calls for water and snacks (chips & candy bars).. we didn't get anymore until our last night there. They did stock the sodas and beer reguarly. Every bar we visited was nice and the bartenders very friendly. The drinks were great and were not watered down. The food overall was good but the buffets could use a little variety as it seemed they had almost the very same food nightly. The shows were typical of any all inclusive resort and kept us entertained. My kids enjoyed the kids participation before the show and winning tshirts and chocolates. The many pools were nice. My kids especially loved the Coba's activity pool as they enjoy playing volleyball and water polo. Coba's pools aren't as big as Tulum and Akumal though. We visited almost every pool they had. Almost every pool has a swim up bar too.
The only disadvantage to this resort is that it is very large and to get around you need to ride the shuttles. The shuttles can be a long wait (esp from Coba to Tulum or from the Hacienda (shopping center) to any of the resorts) I think they need either more shuttles or to hustle a bit more. I also don't like rocky beaches so it wouldn't be my first choice of areas to visit if I wanted the beach/ocean experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Sturdivant
Reviewed 27 July 2010

This hotel was a breath of fresh air from the moment we arrived.....

Myself and my girlfriend recently returned to the Yucutan Peninsula, opting to stay for the very first time in our lives in a resort we'd stay at before - That turned out to be a mistake unfortunately, feel free to read about it in my review for the Occidental Grand Xcaret!

Anyway, we moved here with the help of our tour rep and the difference in what were both apparently 4.5-5 star resorts was so vast it will be very difficult for me to quantify in a quick review. To summarise though, the service at Coba knocked the Occidental into a cocked hat! Every member of staff at Coba is friendly, smiling and helpful. The service is more akin to a small boutique hotel, rather than an extremely large resort catering for a huge amount of people with varied tastes and requirements.

We were lucky enough to enjoy staying in a Junior Suite at Coba, so this also entitles you to a dedicated Premier Lobby, Bar and Premier Restaurant breakfast and lunch buffet. Having said that the main buffets, bars and snack bars at Coba are also so very good that the only difference with the Premier is that it's a little more chilled and relaxed, service is a little faster (purely due to numbers) and the options are a little less on the food front (purely due to size). The junior suite room was fantastic and we had more than enough room to be overly comfortable. The bed was a Super King and maid service was exceptional. We left a tip and little 'Gracias' note for our maid everyday as she worked so hard, she in turn left different little towel animals and bed sheet displays every day to greet us when we returned to our room. Maintenance our also fast and easy to get hold of should you need them for any reason, having a dedicated dial button on the room phone. We changed pillows simply because the ones we had on arrival were a little old and smelt somewhat, but they changed all of them without any fuss within 10 minutes.

Coba shares a resort with 2 other hotels - Akumal and Tulum. We visited all and they're all well kept and have similar quality service. I can't review th others too much as we really stayed at Coba the majority of the time, as it has so much to offer. The beach all 3 hotels share is also excellent and Akumal is only down the road too, well worth a visit for snorkelling or SCUBA.

The a la carte restaurants here are excellent, Mikado particularly good fun and good food too. The buffets are also all exceptional in my opinion. The amount of food and drink to cater for all tastes on offer every day is breath taking. The service is also fantastic, with champagne or other drinks being handed out to guests on arrival every night and pretty fast for such a large buffet once you're seated as well. Honestly, if you have any issues with this buffet try others in nearby resorts, I can't speak for all, but against others we've tried it simply blows them away.

Ultimately this resort really does offer great location, grounds, facilities and really does know how to cater for its guests with great service. I would have no hesitation in recommending this resort to friends and family alike. It was truly sad when it was time to leave.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple