“Birthday bash”

TRS Yucatan by Palladium
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

My sister and I surprised our mom to a trip here for her birthday. My mom loved it! We stayed in the adults only portion of the hotel. The room was massive, it was able to fit the 3 of us. The customer service was phenomenal as they dolled up our room on my mom's actual birthday and surprised with with balloons and champagne. My mom and sister had never been to the Riviera Maya and fell in love. They really enjoyed their experience.

I, on the other hand, have been to the Riviera Maya many times and have stayed at different Adults only resorts, so here is my comparison.

It is a hotel, within a group of other hotels and each one has a different color wristband. The adults only section is tiny, the pool is tiny and they only have one restaurant on site. In order to get anywhere within the other hotels, you either need to walk a great distance, or wait for a trolly or train. The rest of the restaurants serve great food but you will need to make reservations for them daily. The breakfast in the White Sands and Colonial is great, but very busy with families.

To get to the beach, there is a rock pool close to the adult hotel, but it is not an adult only pool. This pool however, is a salt pool with fish inside. There ate tide pools in front of it. It's quite magnificent. The adult hotel has a special sectioned off area way on the other side of the property, just for adults. I would suggest getting a ride because its rather far and the path is not straight. Once there, there are a limited number if cabanas available. They serve food (snacks) and alcohol there. The beach has several trees so you won't necessarily have a clear view of the water if you stay in the cabana. Venture out of the private space and there are lounge chairs and some palapas available, this is the money shot! Just keep in mind, there is only one bar at this side of the beach, the next bar on yhe beach is about 2 hotels down.

The main pools were large, only one swim up bar though. There are families everywhere so keep in mind that the noise level is high and there more children in the pool.

The service everywhere is top notch and the food at dinner was great. However, I would not return. I like my adult only hotels, meaning there are no kids anywhere. This hotel had great options but there were too many children and everything was so far apart. If I had a gamily, this would be a great choice with their kids water area and kid friendly atmosphere. But I prefer my vacation getaways at true adults only resorts where all of the options are near by and pools have several swim ups. It was still fun, but wouldn't return.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Haycoconut
Roxana A, Gerente at TRS Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Dear Haycoconut,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your last stay with us but foremost for choosing us to celebrate your Mom´s birthday! It sounds that you had a terrific time!

On the other hand we appreciate your comments making a comparison with other adults only resorts you had stayed. We know that is through our guests comments that we can see what works and our opportunity areas where we need to work. We are in a process of huge changes, actually since July 1st Royal Suites hotel is closed for renovations and in December 1st will become the brand new TRS Yucatan hotel with new services, amenities. I highly recommend that you visit our website for more information and I truly hope you give us another opportunity to change your actual opinion about us!

Best regards,

Roxana Alvarez

Reviewed 15 August 2017

My husband is a self-described "not a beach person." So saying, he loved this resort and it's beach and the pool and the food and drinks and gym and spa and the beautifully appointed Mayan Suite with excellent WiFi. After years of reluctantly accompanying me to Caribbean destinations this is the one he wants to return to - and he has never suggested returning to any before. I guess all I can say is that this large resort (comprised of a number of smaller resorts catering to different demographics) just has it all. We felt pampered. We felt appreciated. There was tremendous attention to detail and it was all just perfect. The beach is fabulous. Long and wide and offering both sun and shade. We stayed at The Royal Suites and had an exclusive beach area which we really appreciated. Our server went above and beyond for us. I actually get a kick out of listening to my husband wax poetic about this resort. We WILL be back. However, as a heads-up, The Royal Suites area will apparently be closed for the 2018 winter season for new construction and updating.

Stayed: March 2017
Roxana A, Gerente at TRS Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

Dear 2keys1trip,

First and foremost, thank you for your good comments and feedback from your last stay with us. I feel glad to read that you and your husband had a wonderful vacation more than you were expecting, taking into consideration that your husband does not like beach resorts. I believe that you made the best decision in choosing Royal Suite Yucatan. I am excited to see how the Palladium family become bigger and bigger, summing you to our beloved family!
Regarding the TRS renovations, we hope to be open in November 15th, reservations are available thru our website or your travel agency. We are looking forward to reopen the hotel since we will have new amenities and services that we will be happy to offer you specially being repetitive guest.
Please feel free to contact us for any question or when you already booked your trip to let us know that you are coming back!

Warmest regards,

Roxana Alvarez

Reviewed 11 August 2017

Stayed hear for two weeks and have just returned and I have to say I don't think we would go back. The Good bits free transfers from the airport was very good and the staff were excellent and the swimming pools were fantastic but they allow the kids at the swim up bar and serve the non alcoholic cocktails and they were throwing them over each other and throwing the plastic glasses into the pool and others were trying to swim with the glasses in there hand no way more drink in the pool. Now the bad bits most of the food in the restraunts was not to a good standered in fact the onli good restraunt was the Tye very good food well done to Brenda and Omar, the room was not what we were expecting as guests of RS members no Views and when complained were to we were in a jungle what did we exspect well better customer relations would help but never mind I was in the jungle what did I exspect.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank walter1414
Roxana A, Gerente at TRS Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Dear walter1414,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and concerns about your recent stay at the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa; we greatly depend on our valuable guests feedback and welcome every opportunity to improve.
On a positive note, we are glad you enjoyed our Tai restaurant and the good service from our staff members. As you might be aware, we are upgrading the TRS rooms and facilities so on November we will reopen and I am very confident that your negative comments will be solved with this renovation.

Hopefully you can give us an opportunity to change your opinion and you come back once we are open. Please feel free to contact us anytime.

Best regards,

Roxana Alvarez Olmos
Palladium Hotel Group

Reviewed 5 August 2017

I am reviewing this late as well... First off, our wedding coordinator was Elsa. She was lovely. Second, when we arrived, Martha greeted us and made our reservations. Martha with TRS reception is a GEM. She is amazing. There is a TRS driver whose name escapes me, he likes to do origami - he is great! I can't believe I forgot his name...

We were lucky enough to be bumped up to first class on the way down (I hope it happens again one day... le sigh). We were given complimentary champagne, but I do not know by whom. We took our luggage with us to the room (we were very nervous because it had all the wedding tip money inside!).

Free room service which was nice... We got the lobster at the restaurant. Actually I liked the lobster at the steakhouse with a lot of butter. We never ordered lobster in room service. We ordered room service sushi (not good) and room service tapas (it was okay, but a bit fatty).

The buffet was all right - TRS special restaurants were closed while we were there I believe. The Thai restaurant and the Japanese restaurant (not the hibachi section) were actually very good I was surprised! The steak at the steakhouse - Cowboy is all right. Short Ribs were actually good too.

We had a lovely waiter at the Japanese restaurant who made us a paper napkin rose. I do not remember his name.

I think Guillermo at Rifle Shooting was so great! Archery was all right. It was hard. Rifle shooting was a lot of fun - our highlight. Guillermo at the Italian restaurant was also really nice. At the Italian restaurant, the steak is good, but I don't think I liked the other things. The buffet at the Italian was surprisingly good.

We had our rehearsal dinner at La Adelita. It was so delicious! I was really happy.

The Spa is really, really nice. The pool at the Spa is colder than the big general pool everyone has access to. The big general pool was so deep! I enjoyed the little sandwiches and the fruit drinks at the Spa. We did book an adult only night at the Thai restaurant. We did get back one night and there were rose petals and chocolate covered strawberries! That was really lovely.

When we arrived in our room there were little appetizers and a fruit basket. It was really nice. There was a TRS butler (a woman) who helped me into my wedding dress. I forget her name! I'm so sorry. TRS butlers are great - they do everything!

The International show was the only show we saw... it was interesting. You can tell the people in the show work really hard.

Mateo and his brother (can't remember his brother's name) are so kind (the drivers for TRS? Not sure...).

There were little chocolates and honey for the turn down services. And towel animals! We tried to tip two dollars every night but we started running out of money...

It was a nice stay. We will go back!

Room Tip: I forget what room we were in but it was near the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Rosa R, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at TRS Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for thinking of us again!

We really appreciate your time to share such a wonderful review about your stay at our TRS Yucatán , and we feel honored that you gave us the unique opportunity to be your Wedding destination choice.

We are glad to hear you had a great time and that there were some outstanding staff members who helped to making sure you had the vacation you dreamed of, we will send your uplifting comments to Elsa, Martha, Mateo and both Guillermos; your kind recognition of this super team is warmly appreciated by us all.

Regarding your comments about the restaurant food and rooms service, we appreciate your feedback, as we are always looking for opportunities to address any areas of improvement and growth opportunities.

With all our heart, we wish the best and we hope, this is the beginning of many special trips as a couple to our beautiful Riviera Maya.

Warmest regards,

Rosa Rivero
Hospitality Manager

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

A bit late with the review to be completely honest just feeling down when got back from the most wonderful holiday ever! Coming from the UK it was a long flight but when we got to the Royal Suites it was like we were Royalty. Seen immediately to sort our keys and given the briefing about the resort. We were given complimentary cocktails by the lovely Lucy who we got to know well! We had our luggage taken to our room and were left to sort ourselves out. With 7 hours difference in time we thought we'd just go to our restaurant to have something to eat. We were up early and went for breakfast at our restaurant greeted by Ana who had such a warm welcome and we decided to eat inside which was the only time we did as having breakfast outside in England isn't really an option! We took up our positions on our comfy sun beds and soon had fabulous fruit kebabs served. Mario and Diego served us drinks round the clock and Heindrick served behind the bar. These guys are amazing and are so attentive and work so hard! Victor came round offering the Spa which we went to twice. I had a 80 min massage and then a massage and facial which took about 20 years off! Such a relaxing place to go and chill out with lovely fruit based cocktails! We took the cart to the beach a few days and had the cabana beds where we had the lovely Fernanda serve us, she was always smiling and laughing, such a joy to have around! Our lovely concierges Javier and Paola were amazing we got to book the adult only nights at the restaurants and one night we got back to our room and there were rose petals leading to chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of bubbles I asked her why and she just said "because". Such wonderful people! The restaurants were fabulous, loved the teppanyaki show. Couldn't fault any other restaurants the food was amazing! The show guys really produced a great show they work really hard rehearsing during the day! Being English the wildlife was amazing and I was very naughty and hand fed the raccoons at the beach restaurant! The birds no Coatis were fabulous and we had a rather old Coati around our block who was very riendly. I have to say I've only had three trips to Mexico unfortunately due to it being so expensive to go there but this place is second to none I hope at some point to return its paradise! I probably haven't mentioned all the people in the Royal Suites including the lovely cart drivers but every member of staff at each hotel are fabulous! I can't recommend The Royal Suites enough!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rosa R, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at TRS Yucatan by Palladium, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for giving us the pleasure to welcome you in our only Adult Resort and make every minute of your long trip from UK worth it!

We always love to read the way our guests enjoyed their first experience in our Hotel facilities, and we are proud to know, that as a previous traveler to Mexico, your impression of our exclusive services, facilities and kind attentions from the staff that serve you, were second to none, this motivates us to continue offering memorable experiences to all our visitors.

Your gratitude for the brilliant performance of all the people you mention, is as valuable to them as to the management of our hotel, so we will not miss the opportunity to give them the recognition they deserve.

Our only adult Hotel is currently being renovated and expanded, to have new rooms, a new infinity pool overlooking the ocean, an addition of new exclusive restaurants, and many surprises that we trust that you will love, so we invite you to contact us when you decide to return and live the experience in our new TRS Yucatán.

Best greeting from all the Palladium Family!

Rosa Rivero