“Omg. GREAT food!!”

Ranked #9 of 73 Restaurants in Amersham
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Cuisines: European, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: 300-year old traditional Country Pub / Restaurant in beautiful picturesque olde worlde English village. Wisteria round the door, wooden and carpetted floors, real log fires, original beams. Private areas available for functions.
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

After our long drive from mainland europe to the uk we needed to relax and have a pint and a meal.

We had guinea fowl with mushroom sauce and it was delicious!

Only thing: not enough veggies with it. To me a beautiful piped band of mash and 2 halve cherry-tomatoes do constitute vegetables. I missed something like a salad. Maybe we should have ordered it extra.

1  Thank Naomi B

Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

We visited for dinner with friends. Between us we tried the steak, lamb shank, Cajun chicken burger and sea bass. It was all cooked well. I had an awful cold so unfortunately couldn't taste anything but I'm told it was tasty. Nicely presented. The Camembert started was lovely too. The staff were friendly and efficient. The music playing was classical which was not our kind of thing but probably reflected the majority of customers in there. A lovely civilised pub. We have visited on many occasions in the day and it's a lovely setting in the very pretty Penn Street.

1  Thank harper1984
Reviewed 20 June 2017

Having booked to have sunday lunch, we arrived slightly early and were shown to our table by a friendly member of staff. We ordered drinks and chose from the menu. The choice was for three roasts and a fish dish and one vegetarian. Our food turned up quite soon as we had arrived early in the day.If you require a small meal that was also available. The meals were good but the meat was cool and the roasted squash was underdone. We asked for a further portion of squash that was cooked correctly and that arrived promptly. This was not the first time that the meat had turned up cool and the veg was underdone and not of them for a table for three.

Reviewed 19 June 2017

A very disappointing first visit and on Father's Day! Firstly they had our booking down at the wrong time which didn't bode well but thankfully they still had tables available due to cancellations.

Starter of avocado and prawn missed the mark as avocado wasn't ripe and on receiving a second non-ripened avocado they adjusted the starter for other diners to a simple prawn cocktail.

Vegetables to accompany mains for three diners arrived at different times to the point that one diner received theirs as we all finished our main courses. I can't imagine how they coped for parties of more than 3! Roast potatoes were marked on the menu as accompanying all main courses but did not arrive and on asking were told there weren't any. However, when we came to pay we were advised roast potatoes should have been served.

No offer of discount for poor service or food. Sorry, Hit and Miss, I won't be returning!

All in all,

1  Thank Chicago074
Reviewed 19 June 2017

I had visited this pretty country pub before for lunch with a friend and had enjoyed the atmosphere and food very much. This led me to recommend it as a venue for Father's Day lunch but I was left feeling disappointed and embarrassed that I had made the suggestion. It didn't bode well that when we arrived for our 12.30 booking we found that the person who made the booking had put us in for 2.30 and had also made an error in the contact telephone number for us. However, there was fortunately room to seat us. My husband ordered the 'Half avocado filled with prawns and a marie rose sauce' as a starter but was unable to eat it as the avocado was totally unripe. The waiting staff apologised and brought another portion of the same starter for him which he ate, but with difficulty because it too was unripe. We mentioned this to the waiting staff. We all ordered a main course from the special Sunday Menu which said that all the main courses came with roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables. When our meals arrived there were 2 dishes of vegetables which contained 2 boiled new potatoes and a modest selection of other vegetables. Whilst the vegetables were nicely cooked we didn't receive any roast potatoes, nor were there enough of the boiled potatoes to serve 3 people. When we queried the lack of roast potatoes and insufficiency generally for 3 people we were told that there were no roast potatoes with the main courses. A further dish of new potatoes was brought. The particular member of staff who was waiting on us at that time was the same person who made the errors over the time of our booking and the contact number. It seems trite to make a fuss about roast potatoes but we mentioned the issue on paying our bill, at which time we were assured that they were definitely on the menu and we should have had them. I had hoped that this pub would be a 'great find' to which we could take guests in the future but now I'm not sure that I would be confident enough to do so.