“AWFUL!!!”

Ranked #14 of 213 Restaurants in Crewe
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Brewing is at the heart of the business and our JW Lees cask ales are always very popular with regulars and visitors alike. Our back bar is filled with premium spirits and quality world wines for all tastes. We serve pub food favourites throughout the day from steak & ale pie, fish & chips, to daily home-made specials. If you fancy something simpler, we have a variety of light bites and sandwiches. Whether you’re eating alone or hosting a party and looking for somewhere to celebrate you can always be sure of a warm welcome. The Duke of Gloucester is named after one of the most unique steam engines in the UK. To this day, The Duke is a much-loved locomotive and is considered a very special piece of steam railway heritage.
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

Where do I start..

We can here for a birthday meal, there were 8 of us.
Table service awful, we ordered a drink and the bar, it took 20/25 mins before we even got given a menu.
It then took another 20 mins for someone to come over and take the order.
I would appreciate all this if it was busy, but there was no one else in there.
The starters and main took a good 30 mins to come out, this would be fine if the food was nice.
The food was full of pepper, constantly bitting into pepper balls.
After finishing the awful meal we sat there waiting for a birthday cake to come out. We had to go and remind them twice to bring it out and it still didn’t come, so we paid the bill and left without the cake coming out or singing happy birthday.
The food and drinks are expensive, and defiantly NOT worth the money.

As a group of 8, we will never be returning.

Joe L, General Manager at The Duke of Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2018

Hi

Firstly, I must apologise for your experience as this is not the standards we aim for and certainly not what you should expect when you visit us. I was really disappointed to read how unhappy you were with your last visit and would like to look into this further. If it's not too much trouble would you mind emailing me with a bit more detail and hopefully we can use it to develop our service standards for the future.

I do hope it doesn't put you off trying us again.

Kind Regards

Joe

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

For anyone that’s not been here for a while it’s definitely worth revisiting. Food is much better lately and the staff are really attentive if you’re sitting down for a meal. I would even go as far to say that the service matches some of the better restaurants I’ve eaten in.

We’ve visited 3 times in June and the food has always been nice and well presented.

Only given 4 stars as I believe there in room for improvement on the desert selection.

Thanks for taking the time to leave us such a positive review. I was really pleased to read your comments especially about the front of house team and the food and will make sure to pass them onto the team. Hopefully see you again soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

8 pieces of scampi and a pile of oven chips for £11.75!
Our son visits this pub regularly with his girlfriend and enjoys the food so we went on his recommendation
We have had better food
Good polite staff but food is nothing more than average and shockingly overpriced

Hi Sarah

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I'm sorry to see you didn't enjoy your meal last time you were here. Hopefully next time you visit we can make up for it. I will pass your feedback on to the kitchen to look at improving the portion size.

Kind Regards

Joe

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

Attentive and enthusiastic staff along with well prepared food with good variety, ensured an excellent experience. Well worth a visit and good value.

Joe L, General Manager at The Duke of Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review - really glad to see you enjoyed your visit, I'll make sure to pass it on to the team. Hopefully see you again soon :)

Reviewed 15 June 2018

Four of us walked here for dinner whilst staying nearby in Crewe during a racing weekend at Oulton Park. The menu catered for our different needs - a couple of us weren't too hungry so opted to just have a sharing board and some sides, others had mains and desserts. The food was really good and arrived in decent time. The price was reasonable. Service could've been slightly better, with a strange experience with a waitress who came over to ask if everything was ok. We had received the bill and had cards on the table so I just said we were waiting to pay - she genuinely looked at me like I'd fallen off Mars and said 'ooookay..?' It provided some amusement at least! Overall would recommend however.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review - I was really pleased to see your overall experience was positive and appreciate your constructive comment on the service - work to be done! Hopefully we'll see you again soon :)