“Disappointing”
Review of San Marco - CLOSED

San Marco
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are a family owned and run restaurant offering you excellent value by serving freshly cooked quality locally sourced ingredients in a beautiful and relaxed setting.
Reviewed 27 May 2013

This is a pleasant restaurant, although draughty and cold with the door open. The staff were very attentive but, despite our group of 15 pre-ordering, it was 30 minutes before we got anything to eat and there were long gaps between courses.
My portion of Penne Milano was very small, like a child's portion and my partner's Vesuvio pizza had a base that was so hard it would have needed a steak knife to cut it properly. My sweet was two small pieces of plain cake, not homemade?, with half a scoop of ice cream. The quality of the food was good but the portion sizes let it down.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

Visited in August 2012 (didn't get round to doing the review until now) for my brothers birthday meal with him, his partner, my partner and my parents. The location is lovely, unfortunately that is about the most positive thing I can say. At first we were served by a waitress who was quite nervy (new?), but obviously willing to help which was fine (went off to get answers to drinks questions, etc). Later a blonde waitress took over for the rest of the evening who didn't seem to understand the concept of customer service - didn't smile, quite impatient, etc. Most of the food was fairly good (pleasant, but not amazing) my dad wasn't overly impressed with his starter however (bland).
A pity really - this restaurant probably has the potential to be very good, but for us it was sadly let down by the service and somewhat average food for some of our party.
There are some excellent restaurants around that certainly have the edge in every way over San Marco, meaning I won't be returning - much better to go to nearby Casa Vecchia instead for an Italian.

Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

We were the only ones in the restaurant, staff not particularly friendly, there were 3 of us who all had pizza which tasted like it was a frozen pizza, the base was really strange and very dry and the pizza topping was sparse had very little flavour at all. Complained but got no replacement or discount. Would not return.

Reviewed 19 April 2013

My wife and I moved to Wheelock about 18 months ago and were happy to find this lovely restaurant on our doorstep. The atmosphere is so warm and friendly that you go in that it makes you feel like you are on holiday. The food is really nice and pretty cheap too and the wines are fantastic. The owner is a really friendly man who even gave us a free bottle of wine when it was my wife's birthday! I honestly do not know why some people having given bad reviews, as we go time and time again and always have a great experience!

Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

We come here regularly and have always found it to be great, friendly service. The staff are lovely and food is very tasty..
A real hidden gem and is a must go if you live in Sandbach!!