“Back to its very best”

Ranked #9 of 46 Restaurants in Tarporley
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2018

We visited on Friday evening to try the food as we had heard that a new chef was in the kitchen, Wow what a difference! The pub is beautifully furnished,the staff where very helpful and attentive without being intrusive, we had a dog with us and the pub is dog friendly with water bowl and dog treats provided.
The Friday night menu features a special fish menu alongside the usual menu menu with a full range of fish dishes with a choice of sides and a sauce of your choice. You can also add bottomless Prosecco for a very reasonable £25 , great for the lovers of Italian fizz.
My starter of crispy egg on a ham hock base with crushed minted peas and a cider sauce was absolutely delicious.
The main menu has a great range of pub classics , Fish pie for me, a fish special of plaice , taken off the bone by the chef, and a tempura prawn with a selection of extra sides all top quality. The attention to detail and the balance of textures and flavours has taken this food to a much higher level.
In addition they now have a wide range of vegetarian options and vegan ice cream, vegan chocolate brownies and vegan chocolate sauce.

Overall a great meal in a beautiful pub.

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely meal on a weekday evening. It was busy but calm and not too noisy.

The portions aren’t too big so if you’re a member of the Clean Plate Club, you won’t feel over full when you leave and/or there’s room for desert.

There are enough well trained staff to keep things moving and customers happy.

There are theme evenings advertised (eg Fish and Fizz on Fridays - any fish dish and bottomless prosecco for £25).

As an upmarket village pub I hope they are supporting local producers and would do well to list these on the menus or in the restaurant.

Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

Was really expecting the full package after seeing the fish supper advertised for early birds. Live entertainment is something that particularly attracted us to this newly reopened pub.

First impressions were good with attentive staff and with a fresh new look.

The early bird fish supper was something that I was particularly interested in and I was not disappointed . I had the Cornish plaice which was fresh and superbly cooked with lovely sauce and side dishes.the chef knows what he is doing.

Why the title “fell short” I hear you asking?? Well firstly the prosecco I ordered was a VERY small serving of 125ml which is way smaller than I have had any where else. We also had to check the small serving of Sauvignon Blanc which should have been 175ml and turned out to be 125ml. An apology was excepted and the serving was put right....ok could have been a genuine mistake. But most of all we were disappointed to be told that there was no live music on that night. Tut tut they really should have said on their Facebook page or web-site. A real shame to be letting people down in their first weeks of opening. I will try it again but will ring first to make sure that what they are advertising is in fact accurate.

Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

Well refurbished, nice atmosphere, very good food, and helpful staff..
Well worth a visit, and we shall certainly be visiting again very shortly...

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

We were on the way to the opposition in Bunbury but it was full, luckily I knew of this place and also knew that it had recently changed hands.
Comfortably not over full, clean decor, basket seating. Good warm welcome by bright young staff (all female), happy to assist at all times.
Good local ales, a Weetwood's pint consumed, soft drink for my wife. 'Do you do a cheesy toasted bread ( not on the menu)?
I'm sure we can says Emily (name on bill). It was very good and surpassed the oposition.
One pork belly for me and Sunday beef for her. I ask why do you always have beef? It's nearly always tough as an old boot!
Beef tender! Pork good too.
Two Americanos with cream... My God, a sugar pot with tongs, no dirty fingers in this one, full marks!
Total £42.15, £45 paid inc tip and drinks.