2,181 results
All reviews ice room golf trip golfing break relaxation room cream tea pro shop great golf play golf lovely hotel round of golf set menu bar prices cheshire countryside restaurant staff from start to finish birthday treat couldn't fault
Reviewed 11 August 2015 via mobile

My daughter n son inlaw booked to stay here a overnight this month through secret escapes, my husband passed away suddenly so my daughter asked for the dates to be changed to September. This hotel said no n that it had to be July ( my daughter was too upset to go then n was unable to get time off her work) so as a result they lost their money. Now as a large company with hotels in Scotland I thought they could have given another date n hotel under the circumstances, but clearly the idea of money for nothing suited them better.

Date of stay: July 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank SusanM3672
GMMacPortal, General Manager at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2015

Dear Guest

I am very sorry for the loss of your husband, our condolences go out to you and your family.

I spoke with your daughter Justine yesterday and explained that the hotel were not contacted in regards to a refund or a date change, this was left with the third party operator.

Should this have been discussed with a member of my team then we would have been more than happy to change this date for you. Following our conversation I have emailed Justine and offered to look at a venue closer to home for her to rearrange her stay.

Once again, our sincere condolences for your loss.

I look forward to speaking with Justine in the near future.

Reviewed 11 August 2015

My self and 15 guys had a very enjoyable golf trip here and all were impressed.
We played the Championship course on Sunday afternoon and then the Premier on Monday morning which we all thought the better of the two courses.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of Macdonald Portal Hotel Golf & Spa.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and particularly enjoyed our golf courses.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Many thanks

Reviewed 11 August 2015

Overall very good. Apart from breakfast. Not very enjoyable for one person out of 4. Undercooked food. And a bar lady on in the eve. Had attitude when we asked to put our drink in a tall glass. Clearly did not know that a vodka and tonic is to be served in a tall glass.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf & Spa.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us overall, however I am sorry for the disappointing aspects of your experience.

Please be assured that I have implemented a programme of remedial training with the catering team based on your feedback and I hope, should you stay with us again, you are able to notice the improvements in these areas.

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 August 2015

We were a group of 68 golfers. Enjoyed the golf courses. Do not eat here if in a very large group as the kitchen seems unable to cope. As a family or small group who were in the restaurant they seemed to enjoy their experience.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf & Spa.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall and appreciate your constructive feedback which I will share with the team.

We look forward to you visiting again soon.

Many thanks

Reviewed 11 August 2015

Enjoyed the stay however the staff are over worked at the bar, staff pleasant but service was not to standard because of this.

We purchased the stay dinner bed and breakfast but the dibber is a 3 course and this menu is poor - we were however allowed to purchased a meal up to the value of £50 which was a great alternative.

Wine is pricey and food is very pricey for the quality.

Standard bedrooms are great size so would not consider upgrading as these were more than sufficient for a 1 night stay.

In all honesty you would get more fore your money if you were to visit carden park instead, stand and quality is much better for the same price.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were disappointing, I would have liked the chance to discuss this with you during your visit.

We are currently implementing training for staff across all departments and I hope, should you stay with us again, you are able to notice the improvements.

Kind regards