All reviewsennerdale bridgecoast to coaststeak piepacked lunchnext morningstayed heregreat walkwelcome sightlarge portionsshepherds armsdays walkingpowerful showerexcellent hostsgreat place to staythe pubroom was cleanevening meal
Reviewed 26 April 2016 via mobile

Lovely place to have a quiet evening meal - the dining room is small and almost like sitting in a lounge at home but this adds to the comforting feel of the place - the menu is the same and hasn't changed for some time but what is served is excellent - not noticed any specials offered bit as I say what you order of the menu you can guarantee is good - never had a bad meal here yet!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2016 via mobile

Stayed here on 2nd night of our C2C walk. The room was clean and tidy, the bathroom although small was well equipped and modern. The evening meal was excellent and well priced. The breakfast was also really good. The owners are really friendly and helpful. Paul's tip for finding Loft Back just after Black Sail youth hostel was spot on. He will also pick you up and drop you off at Enerderdale Bridge on the C2C route - highly recommend.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2016

My wife and I spent a rainy few days here. We were made to feel very welcome by Joan and Paul, who were outstanding hosts who made sure we had everything we needed.

The home cooked food was excellent (they actually cook the Steak how you ask for it, which is a rarity in my experience) with more than generous portions.

The bed was enormous and very, very comfortable. The room was clean and well provisioned, and the shower was one of the best I've ever used, so much so that I ended up showering twice a day just to use it.

Our room was directly over the bar and you could just about make out traces of the voices and laughter from downstairs until they cleared out at around 23:00, but you certainly wouldn't describe it as noisy.

We were sad to go at the end of our stay and we'll be sure to drop by for a pint next time we're passing!

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2016 via mobile

Joan and Paul made us very welcome. Homemade and cooked food. The most enormous steak I've ever seen! The Whitby fish was very good. The boys loved the steak pie. I felt a bit cold so a cosy bedspread was provided. We shared the bar with locals who enjoyed having southerners staying. The location was great and one of the party did a long track run. Proper professional go kart track where Jenson Button goes.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 February 2016

Excellent hosts who went above and beyond to make my stay a pleasure. Very attentive to small details that made my few days a great, comfortable and pleasant experience.

Ultra clean, compact single room with a small but perfectly fitted en-suite with a great, powerful shower.

Friendly pub atmosphere, tasty hand pumped bitter, generous meals and a large Lakeland breakfast each day.

I would recommend for walkers or a business stay without hesitation. No noise in my room, I slept like a log.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business