“Superb food but....”

Ranked #1 of 2 Quick Bites in Hathersage
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Deli, cafe, coffee shop
Reviewed 7 November 2018

I have visited the Deli a few times and I always enjoy the food, there are plenty of it and nicely presented. Tea and coffee are excellent but what I love the most is their cakes. I often buy a few pieces after my lunch and take it home. The space is very limited and during busy hours could feel very cramped but that doesn't stop me from returning. I make sure to arrive early before it gets too busy. There are discounts for take away food so it's worth bearing in mind.

The staffs and bosses are always friendly and helpful from my past experiences but unfortunately not my last visit. After lunch I was ready to order some take away cakes and I had made sure there wasn't a queue. The boss was busy making/serving coffee so he called one of the staffs, a very tall young lady, come to serve me. There wasn't a "hello", no smile, and very minimum eye contact from her. I ordered 5 different cakes, as she wrapped each one individually I began to realise from her facial expression and body language that I was too much trouble and I nearly felt I should apologise for buying cakes. She wasn't particularly rude but the cold expression and unfriendliness made me feel very uncomfortable. Even my husband waiting nearby commented on her behaviour to me afterwards.

Would I recommend the Deli? Yes. Would I go back again? Yes. I love the Deli and it's such a shame our enjoyable lunch was ruined by one unpleasant staff.

Date of visit: November 2018
2  Thank Discover59124387820

Reviewed 5 November 2018

Jenny & I were here for a light lunch this time, sitting outside at the tables at the front in the sunshine. We shared a deli cheese toastie with Henderson's and mustard, and a vegan salad (hummus, falafels, pitta, and a mixed leaf salad with roasted peppers and beetroot strips with a balsamic dressing) - both delicious. Really good quality food and an imaginative menu too, as well as the food always being beautifully presented. Definitely one of the two classiest places to eat in Hathersage (the Social Club is the other), and deservedly really popular - e.g. the large number of cyclists there in all weathers, for food and for drinks. Friendly staff too. We'll keep coming back.

Date of visit: November 2018
2  Thank amdgriggs
Reviewed 25 October 2018 via mobile

Cramped and a bit pricy, also busy when we were there.

But, nice food and coffee; you could do worse.

Take your choice

Reviewed 25 October 2018 via mobile

Could not decide if we should eat a snack or go somewhere for a meal, decided to go to this Deli, it looked popular that's always a good sign, my wife had butternut squash soup, I had a Bacon and Brie Panini, took some time to arrive, Soup was good as was the bread that came with it, my Panini however was a little tough to eat, but I did enjoy the side salad, would we go back, probably not

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

Lovely little stop off. Quick and friendly service for our big group. Specials and soup were delicious.

1  Thank joshb27