“well kept real ales”

Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Beautiful 16th Century Pub with Accommodation having a comfortable, traditional feel with a slight contemporary twist. Here at the Hardinge we are focusing on keeping the great british pub alive, with fantastic kept ales, a beautiful wine selection and home made fresh food. We offer a traditional pub menu, from our famous ham and eggs to something slightly more special from our specials board like our locally shot present... Tom and I have been here since February 2013, and have endeavoured to make a friendly and happy pub, so why not come down and try us... .
Reviewed 29 July 2017

New landlord is keeping good real ales at reasonable prices. I have yet to try his new menu which I hope to do so shortly. Friends tell me its much improved from previous landlord.

1  Thank bob o

Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

My friend and I had intended to visit Melbourne Hall this weekend but were distracted by what was intended to be a quick lunch but turned out to be a full, lazy afternoon at the Hardinge Arms. The building itself is charming: exposed beams, proper wood-panelling and so on, and it's light and airy.

We both chose Fish (haddock), Chips and minted peas, which was an excellent choice. Lightly battered fish, beautiful texture to the peas, neither to wet nor dry, and 'rough-cut' chips. Tartare sauce came too. 'Tasty' is a bit of an understatement and it is so refreshing to have a plate of food where everything works so well.

For sweet, my companion chose the house interpretation of rhubarb crumble, which got a silent, smiling thumbs-up.

The menu isn't large but it's proper and grown-up; formulaic it ain't. There are separate lunchtime and evening menus, too, which is nice. There's some outside seating and good parking.

I understand that new owners took over recently and they deserve to do well. Already, they've set a fine standard for friendliness and service.

Oh yes - they serve the excellent, hoppy Shepherd Neame Whitstable Bay bitter, too!

2  Thank Petrazeena
Reviewed 23 May 2017

We have stayed here before, on the whole it is a great place for a one night stay, to visit the local,area.
Rooms do present as a little tired, but very comfortable.
Food and service is excellent.

Reviewed 13 May 2017

The greeting we received at the Hardinge Arms was warm and friendly. The area we dined in within the bar area, was also warm and welcoming. The hospitality we received was very pleasant and charming.
The lunch menu was very extensive with a selection of dishes which do not usually appear on the 'run of the mill' menus. This appeals to people with varied preferences. I believe the menu changes throughout the year to adapt to seasonal availability.
The parking was adequate with outdoor seating. I would consider the Hardinge Arms to be very suitable for ladies who lunch, romantic couples, families or business people. I can thoroughly recommend this inn which is full of character, in a charming village. Well worth a visit.
We were also shown the sleeping accommodation, which was in character with the pub, and provided all the requirements for people travelling.

1  Thank Jacquie F
Reviewed 20 April 2017

During our stay, we were here several times. The hosts are very nice and friendly and you are never rushed. Food was excellent and I would highly recommend for a pub lunch or dinner.