“Oh dear, what a shame ”

The White Horse Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Horse Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: British
Good for: View, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

It’s very sad for me to have to write this review as the White Horse has been one
of my favourite restaurants for a very long time. The oysters I had to start were excellent, as always.

The three fish main courses all had problems. I had mussels as a main course which were shrivelled from over cooking or being kept warm. Another main course of hake in tomato with octopus was very salty and a third of sea bass was dry and served with slightly curried couscous and some spinach. A main dish of pork was okay but fairly bland. We waited for a while to speak
to the manager at the end, who was very pleasant and apologetic. No one came to
ask as to how the food was whilst were eating. Our table was booked for 20.45 - the earliest table available. The restaurant wasn’t busy as we arrived. As we left staff
were setting up with cereals and dried
fruits for breakfast. The manager suggested that he would not charge us. We thought this was very decent of him.
We would have been happy to pay for the items which were okay. The manager sent a very nice email afterwards. I think we’d want to see reports of exciting consistent cooking standards before we return.

1  Thank teabus
RobWilliamson1, General Manager at The White Horse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Dear Teabus,

Thank you for your review.

I am saddened to read that you did not have a pleasant evening. I would like to wholeheartedly reassure you that his is definitely a one off. I am so sorry that even after we tried to rectify on the evening and also following up with an email that you were still displeased.

Please accept my sincere apologies and I do really hope this does not deter any future visits.

Rob

Write a ReviewReviews (1,183)

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Had 4 friends over and took them to the very friendly White Horse a few doors away. We always try to get a table in the bar area as like the atmosphere, and setting. Great beer and champagne served by very happy and friendly staff who are always welcoming..5 tremendous fish and chips and a pulled pork burger was devoured with gusto and full enjoyment. Friends thought it was great too. We had supper for 2 earlier in the week next to the roaring cosy fire..equally as good.

1  Thank robert_brant

Thank you for wonderful review. I am so pleased you keep returning!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal and that my team looked after you all.

Come and see us soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Stayed here recently on a cold wintry February weekend. We ate in the bar one night and the restaurant the second night. Both meals were exceptional. Wonderful, friendly, efficient service and really fresh fish on both nights. The Brancaster mussels were so good we had them twice. Good atmosphere in both the restaurant and bar - a mix of locals and people staying for the weekend.
They kindly sent my nightie back which I left behind. Could not do enough to help. Will go again.

1  Thank DSLTunbridgeWells
RobWilliamson1, General Manager at The White Horse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Thank you for your lovely review.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed both your meals and that my team looked after you well. We are blessed to have a great group of people.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Ate here today, a snowy cold Saturday. Found a table even though they were clearly busy. Ate in the bar which had a great atmosphere. We both had the beer battered cod and chips, we both thought the portion size was a tad small but pleased to say we were wrong. Pleasantly full at the end and both plates enjoyed. Only niggle was that we both found bones in our fish, if not it would’ve been five stars. We will definitely return in the summer as the pub is in a great position to be enjoyed in the sunshine.

1  Thank Charlotte D
RobWilliamson1, General Manager at The White Horse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighted that you managed to get a table and enjoyed your lunch.

Come and visit us again, sit on the terrace and enjoy the panoramic views and (fingers crossed) sunshine.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

Four of us met for lunch and, having booked well in advance, were happy to have a table looking out over the marshes. The first sign that things have changed (and not for the better), was the thin paper napkins. This restaurant is too good for such flimsy napkins.

The menu was very good for us because it had a wide choice. Two of us enjoyed the mussels, a good sized bowlful as a starter. The smoked salmon was also good and the plaice fillet served as a starter with cold mashed potatoes was a surprise.

For main course our vegetarian chose the celeriac and declared it to be very good (and filling). Another chose the black bream which was served with pilau rice, onion bhaji and curry sauce; all very good. The disappointment came with the fish and chips, which two of us chose. The fish, although cooked well, was very small and encased in armour plated batter which was not at all up to the standard one would expect. Additionally, the tartare sauce was served in twee little pots which was almost impossible to access.

For dessert, two of chose sorbets which were served with some sort of crumble topping, entirely unnecessary. The lemon tart was good and the creme brulee a surprise in the way it was served.

Followed by americano coffees and washed down throughout with white wine and Woodforde's Wherry this was an adequate lunch which did not quite satisfy to the same extent which previous meals here have done.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your lunch. I will be looking at the issues that you encountered to ensure that these do not reoccur.

Come and see us again.