“Good pub grub at sensible prices!”
Review of The Stags Head

The Stags Head
Ranked #18 of 134 Restaurants in Wellingborough
Price range: US$13 - US$35
Cuisines: Asian, European, British, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Stag's Head is a stone built Traditional Village Pub & Restaurant, serving home cooked food 7 days a week plus all day Saturday & Sunday. Our menu can be found online. We cater all day Sunday with our full menu plus a choice of four roasts. Celebrations, Business lunches and wakes. Are our speciality. We also have a Snack, Gluten & Dairy Free Menus available. Our team of Chef's try and source all our ingredients locally where possible.
Reviewed 5 December 2017

This is a well run busy village pub that offers a range of dining options including restaurant, buffet, bar snack teas coffees etc. We had a pub lunch, Large Steak and Guiness Pudding with gravy chips and peas (proper suet pudding!) and Chicken and bacon wrapped with Gorgonzola sauce. Delicious. The Baileys and Chocolate Fudge Cake trifle was a perfect dessert.

Reviewed 26 November 2017

Sunday lunch for 4. Order placed 2 lamb shanks, venison & a Sunday roast. Waitress came & told us they only had one lamb shank so a second venison was ordered. She then returned & told us there was no venison either & this was only 1pm. So we ended up with one lamb shank & 3 roast dinners. We waited nearly 30 minutes for food to arrive & the vegetables were cold. We sent them back & on their return it was obvious they had been put in a microwave & had gravy poured over them. Even without this the vegetables were overcooked & it now looked awful. This must have been the worst experience of a Sunday lunch ever & I certainly would never recommend the place to anyone. Interestingly one of our party & been told of a similar experience by a friend just wished I'd listened rather than given this place a chance. It was dreadful

3  Thank kayh351
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Very good Sunday lunch and catered for children's version/ portion of adult Sunday lunch. Staff friendly and helpful definitely go again when in area. Excellent parking with ease of access.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

I came in with a group of friends and had a wonderful meal. I can recommend the lovely Bruchetta and the lasagne beautiful. We had to wait for our food as the place was packed but we were advised that this was the can. The meal was well worth the wait and the staff were very friendly. Thank you for a wonderful evening.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

We went to the Stags Head for lunch on the Monday only because it was the only date our friends could fit in. It's quite a large place easily reached in the village and looks attractive inside. We were shown to our pre booked table and given attractive menus and then left and left and left. Eventually I went to the bar and ordered some drinks. The barmaid offered to bring them to our table in a tone of voice which suggested she thought she was doing us a favour. She appeared to be the only member of staff actually serving customers though a couple of other black clothed ladies bustled about from time to time. Nothing wrong with the London Pride which was the only Cask Ale I could see. I had Moules to start and the ones which were open were fine. For the main course I had the sweet and spicy chicken which was nice but not a lot of it. My friend had the 1/2 roast chicken of which there was a lot but it was dry. The Sea Bass and the last Lasagne and the steak pie were all enjoyed. For pudding I had the Waffle with Ice Cream. The parts that I could break off were nice. Unfortunately the last quarter resisted my attempts with Spoon, Fork and Knife and eventually threw itself on the floor.
The service was pretty slow and the Waitress explained that was because she had been on the phone. We explained that we did not consider that was our fault and also mentioned the defects with the food. Helen went away and came back with an adjusted bill as compensation. That was appreciated but we would rather the place had been adequately staffed to give us proper service and all the food was satisfactory.

1  Thank Den C