Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews tide pools sea lions general store rocky shoreline small refrigerator waves crashing wonderful stay beach access small hotel narrow road laid back grocery store hidden gem private balcony tides kitchen cove
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 August 2021

My husband I stayed in one the suites and it was fantastic! The room was spacious and clean and had everything we could possibly need. The view was incredible and the sunsets were amazing. Jen was so friendly and so accommodating. She happily fulfilled every request we had. The Tide Pools were wonderful and walking the paths around the Inn provided even more beautiful views.

The one thing I have to say, which is more of a tip, not a complaint, Is the restaurants were all closed. The only thing open for food was the Pizza parlor and they had a 2 hour wait. This has nothing to do with the Inn...just wanted future travelers to know. We had only planned to eat out one night during our stay and brought plenty of food so it wasn't a problem for us. But I could see how it might be for someone else. There is a little store by the campground that has a deli and some hot food. There is also a General Store up the hill a little that is surprisingly well stocked. It even has a little produce department in the back. So it you needed you get easily get food if you had planned on eating out.

Wonderful stay, wonderful hostess, wonderful town. We can't wait to come back.

Date of stay: July 2021
Reviewed 3 August 2021

We had a great experience recently on a three night stay in an Oceanfront Full Suite. Beautiful views and it was wonderful to leave the windows open at night and listen to the ocean waves. The Innkeepers were friendly and accommodating. The road in and out is nothing to take lightly, but if the RV's can do it, so can we. We will definitely keep this on our list of places we'd like to return to.

Date of stay: July 2021
Reviewed 28 June 2021

I take 10 days for a motorcycle tour every year as my vacation. This year I toured the 101 which included a two night stay in Shelter Cove. I found Shelter Cove by looking around at my route on Google Maps when I was in the planning stage.
Like anyone reading this review, I did my due diligence in reading reviews and accounts of other people’s trips to the area and the Tides Inn.
I’ll start by addressing the route to Shelter Cove. I made the trek on a Harley Davidson and found the road to be challenging but not impassable. Experience level on this type of terrain will be the biggest factor for your personal experience. If you have driven any type of mountain roads that include switchbacks and turn outs then you will find this to be an average ride. If however you have not driven this type of terrain then you will definitely want to take it slow and utilize the turnouts to allow more experienced drivers to pass.
The town of Redway will be your last stop with regularly prices provisions before heading down to the cove. So if you are staying awhile and have a hard time justifying the costs in Shelter Cove then do yourself a favor and stock up here. Once you reach the cove the effects of supply and demand is very evident. Anything you intend to buy while there was brought there by someone who made that same drive both ways and paid retail for it. There are also only two real options for regular staples, one being the Shelter Cove General Store and the second being the campground store a few hundred yards from the Tides Inn. The same holds true for restaurants. The town is really more of a village with a very small constant population so if you are expecting the typical resort town with seasonal workers and a bustling shopping district you are about to be in for a shock.
The attitude here is very laid back and feels very much like most islands i’ve visited. It operates very much on “island time” so don’t expect instant service and definitely leave any “let me speak to a manager” attitude in your luggage because it will not fly there.
Now most importantly, the purpose of the review is The Tides Inn itself. I prefaced with the i fo on Shelter Cove simply because it was relative for context, especially given the couple of negative reviews which you will have undoubtedly read.
The Tides Inn sits directly on a bluff overlooking it’s own little cove with a population of sea lions, otters, and virtually every other kind of wildlife you would want to see. The view is amazing for 360 degrees. The sunset is breathtaking and it is a very short walk to the camp store for a hot meal or cold beverage. It is also walking distance to Gyppo Ale Mill for a delightful dinner.
The inn is run by an absolutely wonderful person who made sure our stay was everything we hoped for.
Verna does the work of at least 5 people running the day to day bookings, maintenance, laundry, grounds, and virtually every other task involved in running a small hotel. She was accommodating when we were an hour early to check in and paused what she was doing to get us settled in. She was very informative about the area and was as nice of a host one could ask for. If you can accept that you are truly someone’s guest here and not just staying at a corporate chain with no identity then you will be rewarded with much hospitality.
The inn is clean and charming. It is quiet and relaxing. It is genuinely everything you could want for if what you want is a little time away from it all.

Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Verna Kaai, Innkeeper at The Tides Inn of Shelter Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2021

Thank you so much for your kind words and we hope you had a wonderful trip.
We hope see you again on your next trip our to California and the redwoods.
Verna

Reviewed 7 June 2021

Unbelievable! I stayed at the Tides for 2 nights , views are great very peaceful but the woman that runs the place is like a tyrant! You can't even move and she's watching you-paying the price I paid $180 a night I think I should have some privacy and respect. I stay at the Cove quite frequently and I will NEVER stay there again just fyi-go next door to the Oceanfront and have a little freedom

Date of stay: April 2021
1  Thank 586kaseys
Reviewed 27 May 2021

BEWARE: this hotel will cancel your reservation for no valid reason right before your visit.

Here's what happened to us:
- We reserved a room over a month in advance for Memorial Day Weekend. This trip is our babymoon before our twin girls arrive later this year.
- Literally two and a half days before our visit (or less than 72 hours before we were scheduled to check-in), we received a phone call from Verna saying that the inn was cancelling our reservation.
- Why, you ask? They said they have terms, which are NOT posted on their website, that require a 2-night stay over a holiday weekend. In our confirmation email from April, it confirmed that the 2-night minimum applied to full suites only. We had rented the standard room.
- They had a month to contact us to let us know, but they waited until days before our trip to inform us.
- We weren't able to find another hotel in the area given the lack of notice and we had to cancel our trip.

The manager we spoke with admitted they violated two of their terms (the 2-night minimum is not required for rooms that aren't suites and they cancelled with less than 72 hours before our arrival). She was dismissive of the situation they created for us and did nothing to help resolve the issue.

Please note that other reviewers had the same thing happen to them.

Date of stay: May 2021