“Awesome, Fresh and Surprisingly Healthy”
Review of Rooks Tavern

Rooks Tavern
Ranked #310 of 2,285 Restaurants in Columbus
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Description: Fire Kissed Comfort Food; a boisterous, friendly place, full of happy people and great food, a place where memories are made.
Reviewed 12 April 2017

I have to eat very clean due to an autoimmune condition but my kids and husband can eat whatever the heck they want. Rooks Tavern was the perfect balance incredible taste and extremely fresh, unprocessed whole food. Also appreciated that they mark their food clearly (gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian). Anyone who has to eat a strict diet will understand what I mean. Unlike anything I've ever had, their flavors erupt (in a good way). The dry rub barbecue was perfectly cooked. my son raved about his burger, my husband said the BBQ ribs were the best he ever had and my daughter had a salad while I went for the trout. We also shared a dish they called Cowboy Cassoulet. So glad the waiter told us to get it. It was a yummy concoction that was inspired by Texas BBQ tradition. Their secret seems to be local food that is cooked on a giant, open flame. Well worth the trip to OSU campus area and by far the nicest place in that area. Also, great cocktails and it didn't break the family bank. We will be returning!

Reviewed 6 February 2017

Columbus doesn't have very many barbecue places so Rooks Tavern is definitely a great addition to the city. You can pick to have different types of barbecue by the quarter, half or full pound. Everything was fresh, made in house, and cooked to perfection. They also have vegetarian and vegan options, I ordered the Jackfruit tacos and was blown away with the flavor. My husband and his cousin couldn't stop talking about how great the meat tasted with the adobe rub. The only downside is parking because Rooks is near a residential neighborhood but is definitely worth the struggle with parking to eat a Rooks

Reviewed 5 February 2017 via mobile

Several weeks prior to our visit, I reserved a table for five at this restaurant. We arrived as they opened and were the first customers there. Imagine our surprise when we were seated at a booth designed for four. Many other larger spaces were available, but we were told that they had reservations for those spaces. Gee, I thought I had a reservation too. So five of us crowded in. Not comfortable at all. I just don't understand how this could happen. Why would you take a reservation under these circumstances?
As an apology, we were offered one free appetizer for five people. Underwhelming.
The food is very good. The service was mostly good. But I don't think I will ever go back. This place does not understand how to treat customers. Very disappointing.

Reviewed 16 January 2017

Went several weeks ago and can't wait to go back. Cool atmosphere will open flame grill visible from dining area. Excellent beer menu with local options. Smoked chicken wings were very good but the hunter's plate was so good. The smoked trout dip was the star of the show. The burger was gigantic nut cooked as I requested. My buddy got the cowboy cassoulet and it was very flavorful. Will definitely be back to Rook's.

Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

How refreshing to experience a casual, yet sophisticated BBQ. Located along the fringe of Ohio state student housing, this was a pleasant surprise. Single challenge is parking, but worth it. They say that is being worked on. Loved the roasted golden beets and roasted chili's. Shared a full rack of dry rub Memphis style ribs. Didn't need the sauce. Considering all the rotating items on the menu, need to consult wait staff for current offerings of the day. Appear to offer full bar. Numerous draft craft beers range from local to national. Check it out.