“A lot of good, peppered with some needed fixes ...”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #91 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Painesville, Ohio
“A lot of good, peppered with some needed fixes ...”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Pros: Rooms are large; mostly clean; front desk people are great; excellent location; comfy beds; nice tv and cable; complimentary breakfast was decent; everything worked.
Cons: carpet was pulled-up under the heater; water damage behind shower nozzle caused mold on wallpaper in bathroom; the workout room had nothing in it; the "business room" was a broken (with a virus) computer at a small desk in the hallway on the first floor; was a bit pricey for an older hotel in this condition.
Would love to have rated higher - I think a few fixes would jack the review up to above average!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
ciasdt, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
First of all I would like to thank you for writing a response for our hotel. Your comments will help us improve our hotel to better serve you and our future guest. I just would like to let you know that thanks to your comments we have fixed the carpet that is pulled up under the heater we have also cleaned up the mold with bleach and re-wallpapered the wall. Our fitness center will hopefully be ready the 2012 summer we are waiting to get approved by the corporation and the state. Our Business center has a new computer it’s unfortunate we have some guest that like to download content that has viruses and it causes an inconvenience for you our guest. I hope that you can give us another chance in the future to better serve you and so you can have a proper stay with no regrets. I can tell you that we will be using your comments and putting it to good use.

Thanks for your time
Kind Regards,

Diana Valdivia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New York
Reviewed 28 January 2012

This hotel was an odd mix of very good and not quite so good, with the very good outweighing the not quite so good by quite a large margin, but not by a large enough margin to make it excellent.

The not quite so good things kept me from rating this property 5 stars. In fact, some of the very good things were mitigated by the not so quite in a really strange way. For one, they have a beautiful pool area, but it's odd because it's ground level, right next to the street, with virtually no visual privacy from the office building across the street or people just walking by on the sidewalk (the walls surrounding the pool were very low, maybe about 3-1/2 feet high).

They have a terrific hot breakfast with a DIY waffle iron and both plain and chocolate waffle batters, sausage patties, and a large selection of continental (bread and pastry items). Another thing we really liked was that the juice/coffee bar and a little refrigerator with yogurt were left unlocked during the day, unlike some hotels where as soon as the free breakfast time is over, everything gets stashed away under lock and key.

The room was beautiful with large comfy beds, but the beds were so high they were not so easy to get into or out of. I am 5'6" and had to sort of hop up backward to sit on the edge of the mattress - my mother, who is 5'4" and walks with a cane, had to hoist herself up with her hands (and a couple of times, I had to help her).

There were signs in the 3rd hallway with arrows pointing toward a mythical ice machine - when I asked a hotel staff member, she told me that the ice machine had been removed from the 3rd floor for sanitary reasons and there was an ice machine one floor up in the samespot (ok, but why leave the signs on the 3rd floor?).

The poor desk clerk was pleasant and hardworking but she was all alone at the desk. I checked in around 6pm and she was back at the desk early the next morning. When I asked her if she'd been there all night, she said, no, she left at the end of the evening shift and came back for the early morning shift. There were no towels by the pool and she couldn't call anyone to bring them out, but rather she had to bring them out herself. She also manned the breakfast service by herself. The telephone in my room didn't work, and she got a new one for me, but called me and asked if I would mind coming down and getting it because she had no one to bring it up to me. Once, when I was standing at the front desk waiting to ask her something, she was on the phone with a customer who was giving her a very large problem and keeping her on the phone for a very long time, to the point where I was joined in line by 3 other guests waiting to check in.

I don't blame the desk clerk for that, but I do blame management. While the desk clerk was busy dealing with the customer on the phone, why didn't they have a second desk clerk to deal with other guests? Why was there only one desk clerk on any give shift who had to do virtually everything? It seems like such a bad business move it's elementary - if the one desk clerk has to leave the desk to attend to a guest, who's manning the desk? No one.

I guess my overall impression is that this Comfort Inn has upgraded itself to the point where it looks and feels like it's more upscale, but without the know-how from management to actually make it so.

And the other reviewers are right about the creepy little parking lot. It forks at the entrance - when you enter the driveway, you can turn right, and the parking lot will dead end at a wall, or you can go straight, and if there are no parking spaces, you have to turn right again onto the street (it's a one-way street) and go back around the block if you want to try the other side of the parking lots. Very weird. Also - the handicap spots were not the parking spaces closest to the entrance. How strange is that?

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ciocio1
jaynashushi, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 5 December 2014
i would like to apologize on hotels behalf and can assure you that we are working hard to make sure that your next stay is your best stay thank you and have a blessed day
Austin, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We used 16000 points to upgrade to this Choice Hotel and were disappointed. The man who checked us in was wonderful. He showed us where to park our car where it was seen by cameras and safer. We actually chose this hotel because of the security.

Our room faced an alley and looked worn. Nothing much extra in the room, not even a notepad or pen. The cleaning person vacuumed up and down the hallway at 7:20 AM and then knocked on our door even though we had a do not disturb sign out. I woke up with several bites on my neck...in groups of three. Breakfast seemed dry and stale . We felt we wasted our points on this stay.

In talking to the residents of German Village, there is an issue with vandalism in this beautiful area now. Just be aware and careful if staying in Columbus.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
im glad to hear that you were satisfied with our establishment and can assure you that your next stay will be your best thank you for your business and have a blessed day
MI
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I frequent many Choice hotels, so there's always a level of expectation with the name. This one wasn't over the top awesome, but it was a decent place to stay.

The biggest thing that caught me off guard was the exterior. This was a group reservation, so I didn't look up photos online first. The parking lot of the hotel is VERY small and not convenient to get in to or out of. If that lot is full, you can park across the street, or on the other side of a brick wall. We weren't so sure of this arrangement especially being downtown and the lots not being all that well lit.

Check-in was quick, no problems. ALL the desk clerks, no matter what shift were VERY helpful and VERY friendly. They were courteous to everyone and looked genuinely interested in helping you.

The interiors of the hotel were a little aged, but nothing that bothered me. The room was very spacious & nicely decorated, with a desk, nice TV, sofa bed, King bed and decent size fridge. The bed had plenty of soft pillows, blankets and clean sheets. Just to note, there was NO divider between the sofa bed and King bed -- it's just one large room.

Bathroom had nice amenities and was VERY clean. One issue was the toilet was not solidly bolted to the floor, so it wobbled a little bit. We told the front desk clerk.

The continental breakfast seemed like it had a variety of things, but it was constantly running out and not even replenishing at 8:30am. Those coming in around 9am had even fewer choices. There were juices, coffee, tea, cereals, yogurt, toast, hard boiled eggs, sausage, egg patties and danishes. Unfortunately, the waffle maker wasn't cooking thoroughly, then would leak and made a huge mess all over.

They have a small business center with one PC and a printer. Easy internet access.

Overall location was decent to downtown fun, but there wasn't anything near us. We walked several blocks just to find a Krogers a few blocks down. I thought it said there were a ton of fast food, conveniences and restaurants nearby, so either we were blind, or they don't exist.

The fitness center was non existent at the end of October. A bummer.

The price was over $95/night, and I wouldn't say it was worth that. It's not a bad hotel, but my guess is you're paying for location. Nothing stood out as fabulous except the employees.

3 Thank Turkoize
minneapolis, mn
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We will not be going back to this hotel. The smell of disinfectant/insecticide in the hallways was overwhelming. That is what greets you when you walk to your room. The upholstery was stained on the couch and chairs and the bedding was very worn and dated. This is one of the worst hotels I have stayed at. When I read the reviews on the hotel (after I had checked in), some guests had rated it as a nice place. I don't know what kind of hotels they typically stay at, but I would not call this a nice hotel. The Best Westerns and Holiday Inns that I have stayed at have been much nicer than this hotel.

1 Thank greatfun_11
Iam terribly sorry for your troubles and we willing to compensate you for your previous stay for repeat business and can assure you that me and my staff will personally take care of those issues and can assure you that your next stay will be your best stay thank you for your time and have blessed day