“A place of hope for endangered species.....”
Review of The Wilds

The Wilds
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

The Wilds is a 9,000 acre wildlife sanctuary established on land that had been heavily stripmined. Finally turned over by the coal company to a non-profit organization and with the help of many volunteers the land began to recover and various plants and trees were introduced to the environment. Endangered species began to be introduced in 1992 and later a breeding program was established that helped place animals back in the native environments they disappeared from. While not the range of animals of a large zoo, the ability to see not one animal of an endangered species, but entire family groups living together in an open setting is wonderful. I was especially pleased to see family groups of both Asian Rhinos and African White Rhinos. Tours in open sided vehicles, or special tours with wildlife associates, childrens tours, horseback tours, overnight stays in yurts and a 10-station zip line circuit are all available at The Wilds. The people guiding the tours are very knowledgable, more so than those at many wildlife parks. I waited much too long before visiting The Wilds, but will be back with family and friends.

2  Thank Jerry W
in 30 reviews
"horseback riding"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed 8 October 2017

It is a beautiful, unique place. I have stayed in yurts in California. These were better. We came with our moms (both late 80's) and we were concerned about how they would do. Everything went well. They stayed in the ADA accessible yurt while we had a premium yurt. It was such a long haul to get there, we stayed two nights and I think that is about right (the food would get repetitious after more than 2 days). Breakfasts and dinners were good, the portions were huge. I guess they want to be sure you are well fed since there are no other restaurants for miles around. The standard safari was great. Our guide was very good. I agree with most of the 5-star reviews, though I have a couple of peeves.

It's not a cheap place so the experience ought to be top drawer in all respects. The most annoying thing was flies in the dinning room. The service was very good the food was good and there were flies at every meal. When we complained, they shrugged. I don't buy that they can't do anything about the flies. The yurts are very nice, but you shouldn't have to have a premium yurt to get a fridge. If you don't have a fridge you'll want a cooler. And you'll want to bing snacks and beverages with you since dining hours are fairly limited. Most of the yurts are in a stand of trees that partially obstruct the views from their decks. There is a very nice observation deck by the concierge yurt which is where we would have been in the evening if we didn't have our parents with us. We stayed in Yurt #11 which was very good (as expected since it was a premium yurt), but Wi-Fi was very spotty. It was fine when we were closer to the concierge yurt, but if that's important you, I wouldn't choose #11.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

This midweek getaway started out as a disaster....my husband's team was in the playoffs and I scheduled us a place without TV, I found a review that advised against going because of wasp (Husband is allergic) The route the website recommended had a detour. When taking the alternative route the call center recommended we were stuck behind a wreck for 1 1/2 hours. But the call center at the Wilds was very helpful. Even told us to be careful and they would see we got dinner if we were delayed past 7. Everyone we encountered was nice. No wasp that we could detect.(I had stocked up on spray just in case). We arrived well before 7 and dinner was good.The chicken marsala was better than the pork chop but both were fine. Desert was decadent. Pass the main parking lot and turn left at the top of the hill to check in for the Yurts. Yurt was clean and pleasant (no radio reception but wifi was good so we could stream the game). The campfire was cut short due to rain but was very pleasant. I felt my blood pressure fall within minutes of being there. a simple overnight and I felt we had been on vacation for days. I We did the open air tour and encountered more wildlife and closer up than I have on various tours in Denali and whale watching excursions.

Do bring good binoculars, bug spray and a flashlight. My only suggestion would be a guide in the Yurts that details what animals you were likely to be able to spot from the Yurts. For those of us that delayed the tour until the second day. The confirmation could contain more practical details like where to check in. Only suggestion for the restaurant would be to carry a dryer white wine as the ones they carried were overly sweet.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

Spent a Sunday afternoon. Took the open air bus tour with the canopy top. Entire tour took approximately three hours. This is not a zoo - some animals are at a distance; take your own or rent the binoculars for approximately $5. There is food available near the bus stop as well as at one of the stops along the way. As you might expect the food was not inexpensive and some items had already been sold out. It would be fine to take a small bag of snacks and beverages. A spectacular afternoon was had by young and old alike.

1  Thank BayIndigo