“One of the best days in Svalbard!”
Review of Green Dog Svalbard

Green Dog Svalbard
More attraction details
Owner description: Green Dog Svalbard is a family run business, located in Bolterdalen 10 km from Longyearbyen. We have more than 20 years of experience in dog sledding from Svalbard and Greenland. Green Dog have more than 200 polar dogs and every year 20 new puppies are born. Green Dog offers guided trips with sled-dogs year round in Svalbard's high arctic wilderness. Drive a dog-sledge to a rare ice cave in Winter with our skilled guides or join us at Bolterdal hike, dog cart trips or hike over the Foxfonna glacier in Summer.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

My two friends and I had an amazing glacier hike with our awesome guide Chris!
It was on our second to last day in Svalbard and made our trip so much better then it could have been.
Chris was amazing! Teaching us so much and being a true guide and friend.
Meeting the dogs at the end was an amazing touch and definitely added to the experience.
You really felt that Chris was there for us and not just to do his job and go home, he was there to guide us and it seamed like he enjoyed it aswell!
Thank you Greendog!

"beautiful landscape"
"log cabin"
"recommend this trip"

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Well this Tour became the number one event for my daughter who has been traveling with me trough Dubai, Denmark and Norway. She rates this tour over EVERYTHING else we have done...including Pulpit Rock and the Florli 4444 Stairs.

But you have to LOVE dogs.

And that we both do.

Our guide was Laura and she was fantastic. Did not stop talking the whole time! We learnt more about Longyearbein as well as the dogs than on an 11hr expedition to Pyramiden. She was a wealth of local knowledge. Who ever employs her needs to pay her more!

Anyway, everything was very smooth with this operator. Picked up on time, dressed warmly, lots of time for pictures and photos, and even a cognac and biscuit at the end to warm up. And did I mention the puppies??? OMG. So cute.

Only regret for my daughter is that she didn't have enough time to go around and pat every dog in the yard!!

Gives us a reason to go back.

Thanks Laura! Wish we could have seen you dance!

Reviewed 11 September 2017

I've been visiting Svalbard for a week now, I have been on two excellent trips with Green dog!

The Foxfonna hike was very interesting as I got to see a lot of wildlife, including reindeer and (can't remember the name!) snow chickens?? We started off outside a radar station, where our guide, Chris, gave us a very detailed talk about some of the science they do on the island, like aurora studies and ice mechanics. We then walked to the Foxfonna glacier which was so cool! You could see river channels flowing down it. When we got to the other side we saw the most amazing view of the valley, and had some hot drinks and cookies. Chris's dog looked tired after though, he slept quite a bit at the top! While we were there, we talked about the mining work in svalbard, and how it all started back in the 1900s, and where the town got its name from.

We walked on further down the mountain and came to a cute hunting cabin, where we had a really nice travel lunch and talked a lot! Chris was really nice to talk with and started up some really fun conversations! We finished off at Camp Barents and took a car to the dog yard to meet the puppies and other dogs! Very cute!

My next trip was just as fun! I was picked up outside the hotel the next day by Jonas. We were taken to the summer dog yard and given some warm overalls to wear, then we met the (VERY!) eager sledge dogs. Our guide gave us really clear instructions on how to drive the carts and how to handle the dogs. After harnessing the dogs onto the cart we drove off down the road and into the valley. I was on a cart with Jonas, he was really friendly and nice to talk to. He told me about how it is to work on the dog yard, and how the winter season is up there. It was really nice weather that day and we made a few regular stops to take in the views and give the dogs some water. I really liked how much attention Jonas gave to the dogs and how well he treated them. When we got back we were told how to take the dogs back to their houses and how to take their harnesses off, I gave it a go but they are very strong! We then went into the Russian cabin and had some coffee and cookies, and were driven back to our hotel.

Overall these were some really good trips and I would recommend Green dog to anyone visiting Svalbard :) Thank you everyone!

1  Thank Irene N
Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

Chris was a super knowledgeable guide, knows everything and we had lots of fun. Must be the most clever guide we ever had! ASK the husky was great company as well. The route was a great variety across the glacier, through rocks and grass. Would highly recommend Green Dog tours !!!

1  Thank A6098SNjamesk
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 August 2017

Did the dog sledding on wheels trip on the morning of 11th August 2017. Picked up at the hotel and taken to the dog kennels. Got into the all in one suits and given instruction about the dogs and how to drive the sleds. Some held the dogs at the front while the dogs were attached to the sleds and we were away. Most exhilarating trip with the dogs eager to go and it seemed fast on the road on wheels.Lovely scenery and a very good guide named Maarten. We went back to the kennels and unhitched the dogs from the sleds and put them back at their kennels. Very friendly happy dogs. We were then taken to the cabin up the hill for hot drinks, biscuits, and to meet the puppies. A wonderful experience and would highly recommend this company.