Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.com
Travelocity
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 January 2020

I visited Svalbard with my son in dec/ Jan and split my time between basecamp and another hotel. BASECAMP is right in the middle of the town centre so within safe walking distance of most cafes restaurants etc. As there was a bear about!! From we arrived we felt totally at home and comfortable enough to ask all the stupid questions tourists probably ask!! They helped book excursions for us in advance, helped with taxis to restaurants etc. I was concerned as the first night we were booked on an overnight elsewhere and would have several hours to kill before heading there but the hotel gave us our room a night early as no one had booked it. ! Incredibly cosy, like a log cabin, with ladders to beds on mezzanine and a hatch into a communal lounge space with tv and games. It’s not for everyone, and somewhat unconventional but it was perfect for us.

Room tip: I chose one of the larger family rooms which had two separate double beds.
Date of stay: December 2019
2  Thank graceandnature
Torill Brandal B, Kundeansvarlig at Basecamp Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2020

Dear graceandnature,

Thank you for staying with us in Svalbard. We are happy to hear that you like our style and enjoyed your time in Longyearbyen. Hope to see you again for more adventures in the future. Next time perhaps under the midnight sun at Isfjord Radio?

Kind regards
Team Basecamp Explorer Spitsbergen

Reviewed 23 December 2019 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights. Absolutely marvelous hotel. The entire hotel is made of wood. We had two rooms with a deck and bunk bed style. The rooms are cozy, rustic and an experience in themselves. The people here are warm, welcoming and friendly. The place itself is magical. Breakfast was good. Dining at Kroa was also fabulous. The amenities are fantastic. They have a gorgeous reception area where you can read or play games and enjoy the feeling of being up north! A must stay if you're ever visiting Longyearbyen!!

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank carolinen2166
Reviewed 19 September 2019

The hotel is decorated like an older trapper's lodge, which is so charming. The staff is super nice and the whole trip was really smooth since we were doing all of our activities with Basecamp Explorer. It is a bit on the expensive side, but then again all of Svalbard is expensive and this hotel really added to the experience of the trip. Rooms are clean and comfortable, can't recommend enough.

Date of stay: October 2018
Reviewed 19 September 2019

This hotel has real character and is part of a wider network of accommodation beyond Longyearbyen. Wood and authentic archives everywhere. Good breakfast next day after a very warm welcome at 0100. You really felt you had reached the High Arctic. A world apart.

Date of stay: September 2019
Reviewed 10 September 2019

I stayed at the hotel for7 days, and it was a really great experience. The hotel staff is awesome; they are super-friendly and always ready to help you with whatever you need. Breakfast is included, and it has a good amount of choices. Everything is gresh and delicious. If you are a solo traveler, the communal breakfast is a great place to meet new people and make new friends. My room was floor to ceiling wood, with a raised seating area. The beds were very comfortable with a fluffy duvet that kept me nice and warm. The location is perfect! You are right in the pink zone in Longyearbyen, so you can easily alk around town and to restaurants and stores. Kroa, a casual restaurant with great food, is literally out the back door of the hotel, which is a nice amenity. You can get pub food or a more substantial meal at Kroa; the servers are very friendly and the atmosphere is fun. I arrived at 1 AM and someone was there to check me in, and when I left at the same time, they prepared a take along breakfast for me. The hotel is decorated in a trapper's style, which gives it a little bit of an adventure feel. I really recommend this hotel, especially for solo travellers.

Room tip: Rooms over Kroa are a bit louder.
Date of stay: August 2019