Review Highlights
A magnificent round trip to Pyramiden from Longyearbyen!

Reviewed 2 March 2021
ThatNorwegianAuthor
Spitsbergen, Norway
Hunt for arctic adventures

Reviewed 28 August 2020
KaareY
Kristiansund, Norway

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 March 2021

Jittery with excitement, we headed out from the Russian house in Longyearbyen in the morning, heading East through the splendor of the Advent and Sassen valleys. We rested at Blåisen (the Blue ice) before embarking on the most challenging part of our trek.

What waited was 80 kilometers of continuous glaciers flanked by snow and wind-scoured mountain peaks stabbing up through the undulating cover of ice, the Arctic sun painting everything in pink, white and golden colors.

After making the 800-meters descent from the vast expanse of the Lomonosov ice sheet and down the Ragnar glacier, we finally started to crawl along the coast of Petuniabukta (the Petunia Bay) and reached the ghost mining town of Pyramiden in time for a late lunch.

Hotel Tulpan is the only glimmer of light and human life in the Russian ghost town. There, w got a warm reception, excellent meals, comfortable rooms, and two extensive, guided tours through the abandoned town. It was an eerie experience walking through the derelict buildings, as it looked like everyone just got up and left, leaving everything behind as if fleeing from some unimaginable calamity.

We retraced the 180-km route back the next morning, trusting our guides and their experience as we drove through 60 km of white-outs and strong wind on the glaciers, getting a true sense of the real Spitsbergen.
The whole experience was made easy by Andrey and Dimitri, our two experienced, knowledgeable (and very laid-back) Grumant guides!

Date of experience: February 2021
goarctica, Manager at Grumant Arctic Travel Company, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2021

Thank you so much for your feedback! Looking forward to new adventures with you!

Reviewed 29 August 2020

The year 2020 will for always be a special one, but it helped me to chose one of the most memorable destinations.
I went on a seven day tour with Grumant Arctic Travel Company, exploring the arctic for 7 days.
Pyramiden is a strange place where time has stopped, nature have started to reclaim what’s theirs and the few people who still runs the hotel and guiding is filled with warmth and smiles.
Even though the hotel is super nice, it’s the surroundings that you would explore (with an armed guide). The Polar bear could be around, so you should be most careful.
Pyramiden has a lot of abandoned buildings witch is a great place to explore life in the 80’s an 90’s before the settlement was abandoned in 1998.

You should look forward to traditional Russian cousin in the restaurant, friendly people and an atmosphere that will give you long lasting memories.
I already miss this place, and the calm feeling it gives your soul.

Tanks a lot to our guides, this has been a great trip

Date of experience: June 2020
2  Thank KaareY
goarctica, Manager at Grumant Arctic Travel Company, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2020

Dear Kåre,

Thank you for your kind feedback!

Hope to see you on Svalbard again!

Have a fantastic time!

Reviewed 28 August 2020

The Grumant TEAM is a BIG and wonderful family living in the most isolated and difficult part of our WORLD. They created a big town and now they are offering to share the experience, adventures and KNOWLEDGE with us, giving incredible adventures in maybe the most beautiful place in the world.

I've been many times in Svalbard and always I visit Barentsburg, they are like a family opening the arms to you.

They have TWO hotels in Barensburg (Barentsburg is a super nice hotel, like any CITY hotel, like a "Holiday Inn" and Pomor Hostel) and one in Pyramidem (I've never been there yet, my trip was cancelled this year 2020 for the COVID19) and the hotels are perfect, the food incredible and everything.

I had a "big" accident close to Barentsburg and we returned to the town and I received a first class surgery and the best attention as possible, I am alive thank you to GRUMANT.

The team is perfect prepared, with knowledge about everything and security,

With them you can do Pyramidem and Barentsburg, and if you want the full complete adventure, there is one that is like one week. DO IT if you can

Date of experience: April 2020
1  Thank hgonzale3
goarctica, Manager at Grumant Arctic Travel Company, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2020

Dear Hipolito!
Thanks a lot for your feedback! Hope to see you in Pyramiden in 2021!

Have a great time!

Reviewed 28 August 2020 via mobile

On my last three trips to Svalbard I have been a satisfied guest at Grumant Travel Agency.
They have provided very good service for me by booking my stays at Pyramiden Hotel-and been very helpfull too with the questions I had regarding my stay in Pyramiden Hotel-and in 2017 I was even upgraded to a better room at the hotel.
The staff there are all very friendly and helpfull.
I Can only recommend this Company if you want good service and experiences on your trip to Svalbard.

Date of experience: September 2019
3  Thank thomasbP7284II

Dear Thomas,
Thank you for your kind words! We are always happy to see you in Barentsburg and Pyramiden!