“Great Pork Belly - and Dog Friendly”
Review of Ship Inn

Ship Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Dunwich
Price range: US$51 - US$51
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 June 2015

Called in for an evening meal after taking the dog for a walk on the beach. Fairly busy but found a table in the bar with the dog. Looks a bit rustic but we had one of the best pork bellys we've ever had in a restaurant.
Would definitely go again.

1  Thank Ian M

Reviewed 4 June 2015 via mobile

We stopped here as this pub has a very good reputation. The village of Dunwich is well to do and the pub is rustic and quite charming. The bar had quite a charm and I loved the setting with its lovely stripped wooden tables. The menu was good enough with plenty of choice but I have to say my lunch when it arrived was disappointing. I opted for a beetroot and goats cheese tartlet on a bed of rocket with pine nuts and dressing. There was plenty of salad but the tartlet barely passed its description. It was extremely thin with little or no substance and was gone in basically three mouthfuls where the salad took sometime to demolish. 80% salad, 20% other. At more than £9 for a fairly simply put together meal, I considered I was ripped off. My husband had sausage and mash and for £11.95 this was again quite steep but then we were in Dunwich and that's what they can probably get away with. His meal was substantial and tasty so I suppose it's hard to argue with that. Would I return, definitely not. I've been to a lot better.

1  Thank Delia P
Matthew G, General Manager at Ship Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2015

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, we value the fact that it takes a bit of time to do and we value feedback where ever we receive it. Also we would like to thank you for letting us know there is a 'hype' about us, I can promise we were not aware of this.

I find the feedback you offer a little confusing if I'm honest as it seems perhaps your expectation of what we would deliver was different than what arrived on your table. We take considerable time to word our dishes in a way that offers an honest description of what we do and we don't use any flamboyant or technical catering terms, for Example: Our Beetroot and goats cheese tart served on a salad of apple, toasted pumpkin seeds and English leaves with house dressing. Id exactly what we serve and certainly doesn't have pine nuts or rockets.

Perhaps next to our generous Sausage & Mash, the beetroot tart didn't really meet up to it in meal expectations but it is offered as a lighter choice and one that also satisfies the vegetarians amongst us. The organic salad leaves are actually grown for us in Norfolk and we feel that they are not just a plate filler but an essential part and perfectly worthy of being the main element in this popular dish.

I would also like to defend your comment about being a rip off. If you have read this review I would encourage you to read other reviews and visit our website to take a look at what we do. Fresh food cooked to order can not be cheap by its very nature and we truly aspire to serving the best we can find and a price that is perceived as good value.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Reviewed 28 May 2015

We were camping nearby and the site manager recommended The Ship for good food in an unpretentious setting. He was so right. After a blustery evening walk on the beach, we stumbled windswept into the bar, all warm wood and welcome. The menu was long enough to force some difficult choices but short enough to inspire belief in the local and seasonal nature of the dishes. Late May in Suffolk...local asparagus with creamy ricotta..free range pork from up the road where the pampered porkers seem to live in canvas yurts, when they are not snuffling around in the late spring sunshine. Rhubarb compote and shortbread.All inheRit portions and utterly delicious. Plus the best Adnams can offer. The staff were smiling and unobtrusive. I overheard the manager answering enquiries about dairy intolerancess and wine choices with honesty and a good deal of sensitivity. Restorative and refreshing on all fronts. Recommended wholeheartedly.

Reviewed 24 May 2015 via mobile

Popped in here after tiring of the hoardes at Southwold on a Bank Holiday. Pub is huge so seating no problem and we had some starters (potted shrimp (too much butter) and scotch egg (amazing))

Great Adnams ales and dry hop on tap, quick friendly service and good value. You can park down by the coast if too busy and walk back up in two minutes. Worth trying.

1  Thank stevejackson375
Reviewed 19 May 2015

The food was tasty, plentiful and beautifully presented. The usual menu was supplemented by a specials board.