“Warm and welcoming”

Ye Old Kings Head
Ranked #25 of 48 Restaurants in Battle
Price range: US$9 - US$13
Reviewed 27 February 2018

Had a fantastic lunch here. From the minute we walked in we could not have been made more welcome. It was their first day open after (I presume) a refit. The owner Neil apologised for any wait as they had just reopened. He needent have as there was none, the food arrived piping hot on hot plates. We were on holiday and had come to Battle for the day. I had looked at the guide books recommendations on were to eat. The Kings Head wasn't in it as I presume they were not open when it was published. We always have a good look round to find somewhere decent and we were not disappointed. If we go back to Battle we will definitely revisit this establishment and I would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

1  Thank lornaspencer

Reviewed 21 February 2018

I was worried. I've been a 'local' here for a year. Rick and Sandra left a couple of weeks ago and I've been dreading a new and 'improved' pub. There have been improvements and they are for the better. The pub now has a warmer, fresher feel while still retaining the traditional pub features. Obviously, I had to try the wine, my husband tried the ale and we both tried the food. 10/10 for all. The new menu still retains the pub classics like fish and chips, burgers etc but has a few new dishes. Variations on the old but this is a change for the better. The food is still good and plentiful, the wine is cold and the ale is room temperature. It's still my local and I love the new look. 600 years and still going strong. This is one pub that has stood the test of time. Not much has changed in that time but what has changed has enhanced and improved.

Family friendly, dog friendly, quiz nights, ELF nights and fun every night.

1  Thank V348KQchris
Reviewed 19 February 2018

We popped into the Ye Old Kings Head during a one night stay in Battle. It was the first day open after a refurb, and the decor was really nice inside. Good range of drinks and a friendly atmosphere. Seemed to be really popular with the 'locals'.

2  Thank Jonesy2304
Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

Popped in mid week for something to eat. Can't understand why so few frequenting this fine tavern. There were great local British ales on tap like Harveys and my wife had a very nice house Merlot from a good house selection. The Camembert and bacon burger and chips was delicious and accompanied by a lovely pile of well-cooked crispy chips.
What topped the delicious repast was that it was all enjoyed sitting by the inglenook with our toes being toasted by a crackling open fire.

2  Thank RobEd221
Reviewed 29 November 2017

My partner and i had spent the morning enjoying the 1066 Battlefield and Abbey. After which we were feeling hungry and as it was a Sunday, we felt like having a roast dinner. After walking along the high street in Battle, we came across Ye Olde Kings Head.

It looked lovely from the outside and upon entering. We were greeted by a friendly barman who showed us to a table and served us drinks. After looking at the menu we both chose the vegetarian nut roast.

My partner ordered the brie bites with cranberry, which were cold inside, indicating they had been probably heated up in a microwave from frozen. It only got worse from there.

After our dinner had already started being cooked we were informed that the gravy was not vegetarian friendly. This annoyed us as we assumed that as they had a vegetarian roast dinner option, vegetarian gravy would also be supplied. One assumes gravy is a given with a roast dinner.

After trying to cancel our meal with the barman, we could hear disagreement from the kitchen from the cook that we could not cancel. She came out and continued to be confrontational telling us the dinner was cooked and she would make a sauce. Hating confrontation we agreed to have our meals.

We did not enjoy our food when it arrived, the nut roast was soggy and everything seemed to be covered in cheese sauce. The vegetables were boiled and flavourless and the potatoes were a little greasy. We did not eat much and will not be returning. We reluctantly paid after deciding not to have dessert. The food seemed to have all been microwaved with no real cooking involved.