Esplanade Hotel
PremierInn.com
US$44
Travelodge
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe hotel managerfull english breakfastroom with a sea viewtown centrespacious roombudget hotelbobby
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I’ve just finished a short business stay at this hotel & was pleasantly surprised. I stay in hotels all over the UK most weeks & because my company aren’t too generous have to consider the price. The result of that is I’ve stayed in some very bad hotels, so I know one when I see one. But my stay here was excellent. Yes the building is old, most seaside hotels are, and yes you can see the joins where successive owners have changed the layout. Here my room was clean, tidy & warm. The bed was clean warm & comfortable so the first two things on my list were ticked OK. The room had a modern TV with built in DVD player & free Wi-Fi connection. The extra coffee & milk I asked for was also free, not something automatically available in hotels in this price range. The Bathroom was functional if a little worn & the shower was fine & the towels were clean & good quality, so I’m still ticking the OK boxes. The breakfast was first rate offering everything I’ve paid up to £10 for in other hotels. Other reviewers of this hotel have compared it Faulty Towers in a derogatory way. If you are a fan you will know that the hotel was fine it was only the manager that was the problem & that may be a little true in this case. The manager does appear a little brusque sometimes but that is more than compensated for by his wonderful staff. To a person they were helpful & polite. And at the end of the day I didn’t book the hotel to spend the night with the manager.As I was leaving a member of staff showed me around the part of the hotel that is currently being renovated & I was very impressed. At the time of writing there are four rooms finished & they are truly splendid, all with brand new Bathrooms & furniture. I would go out of my way to stay here again, but I’m afraid with the refurb he may put the prices up!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Geoff L
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Arrived at our room at 1st glance it's very tired looking but soon found wallpaper hanging off the wall debris on the floor the bathroom was mouldy and dirty if that wasn't bad enough at 11pm the manager decided to start doing some banging out in the hall with a hammer and chisel this went on for at least 15mins so we decided to up and leave and asked for a refund but he was extremely rude and refused point blank to give us a refund and then had the cheek to say it's only 11pm ! I advise everybody not to stay here ur better off in a bus shelter and the rats have more manners than what the manager at this hotel had !

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Snoopy8083
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We stayed on a short break at the Esplanade about eighteen months ago. The hotel was in need of a make over but this shortfall was overcome buy the friendly welcoming staff . The food offered represented fair value for money. We re-visited a couple of weeks ago to find that quite a few improvements were taking place.Our room had been tastefully re-styled and the en suite refitted to a high standard. Work was in hand to redecorate the stairways and halls and rest of the hotel. The food had also improved , and the staff remained friendly and welcoming.
In conclusion this hotel is "on the up" and offers good value for money, and a much more pleasant stay than in one on the "sterile" chains.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This once Grand Dame of Clacton has fallen on hard times and now owes much of its existence to emulating Fawlty Towers. I cannot think why anyone would choose to use the hotel otherwise. Unfortunately I was on business and had no choice in the matter.
Wrestling with a dirty shower curtain whilst fiddling the electric shower control in a space no bigger than a hand towel was how I looked forward to starting my day.
In the restaurant/dining room I tried the breakfast. Once. Thereafter any local cafe was capable of beating the quality of food that was served up. Who's idea of a pot of coffee is a teapot filled with Nescafe granules?
Attempting to open the broken window in my room was a feat accomplished only whilst wearing gloves such was the dire state of the broken handle and the razor sharp edges.
Sleeping is best accomplished diagonally as that way you'll avoid the large dip in the bed. The staff were enormously friendly and welcoming, no doubt delighted that guests were actually paying to stay in the hotel - they couldn't believe their luck.
If this was DSS hotel and I was paying £30 per night I probably wouldn't have minded so much but it was almost double that and a week there has left me broken, both physically and mentally.
Enjoy your stay in Clacton. But the Esplanade is best viewed from the outside.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Booked a room here, wanted a nice weekend by the sea and the weather held out, this is a prominent positioned hotel right opposite the sea & as you will see from previous reviews it is under-going a re-furb, to be honest this didn't really affect us we didn't encounter anything other than the rear entrance to the car park being closed but hey a walk round the corner to our car was refreshing so we didn't mind. Superior Room..... Superior as in it had a terraced balcony over looking the sea, had a new double bed could tell this as it wasn't put together properly we had to whack the ends of the headboard into their correct position, the mattress was new but my word that must have been cheap it was springy as in lumber comfort at the discount end I think? run a hotel? then pay more for a decent bed for your guests - every part of it squeaked if I just moved an inch, the decor, well the room had a lick of paint & new wallpaper, what I want is comfort and what I paid for, I would expect two BATH towels, a HAND towel & a mat to step on from the shower, a loo brush & a few more toiletries in there too, scrap the drab shower curtain that sticks to your back because the cubicle is incredibly small & replace it with a proper shower door to modernise it & shower in comfort. The staff, very nice & friendly, the breakfast incredibly nice & the service, wonderful! .. the room, Superior? no.. small & basic .. hey! new curtains! bed runner to match!.. "very premier inn trying to look-a-like", bit more effort I think if your going to pull this off, advertise a "superior room" at a higher cost? then do please make it superior.

Room Tip: As with any seaside stay ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple