“Run of the mill”
Review of The Lazeppe

The Lazeppe
Ranked #16 of 68 Restaurants in Epping
Description: We opened our doors to business in June 2017. Our simply aim is to bring in the great taste of Mediterranean to Epping. We are passionate and ambitious to focus on what matters the most for our guests and deliver it without a fail on every occasion.
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Visited for the first time recently for lunch. As mentioned in another review, the metal tables outside are a very bad idea in hot sunny weather, as they get ridiculously hot.
Our waitress was very good and made the meal a more enjoyable experience as she was very friendly and cheerful.
Was really looking forward to the food, and the lamb meatballs that I had as a starter were indeed very good.
Personally I found the quality of the meat in my main course the Steak Au Poivre to be very average and not up to the standard I had been hoping for. To be fair though others in the party were very happy with their kebabs, so maybe I was just unlucky.
Would probably give the place another chance, but did not quite live up to expectations

1  Thank DARREN M

Reviewed 27 June 2018

We finally made our first visit to Lazeppe, attracted by the hot weather and the "20% pre-5.00 p.m. discount" offer.
We had planned to sit outside but even touching the metal topped tables in the current heatwave could have resulted in 1st degree burns! Still, it was very pleasant sitting just inside by the open doors and a lovely way to spend a lazy sunny afternoon.
I was eagerly anticipating the sweetbread kebab as it is one of my favourites and a rare treat in a UK restaurant only to find that they no longer serve it. I cannot blame Lazeppe as the manager explained that there was just no demand for it, although it was irritating that it had not yet been removed from the menu. It seems that Epping is just not interested in anything other than the standard steak, chicken, salmon etc. etc. etc.(yawn!) Recently we have seen such delicacies as deep fried oysters, smoked eel and even Tuna diaappear from Epping menus through lack of demand. People of Epping - broaden your culinary horizons!
Unfortunately for Lazeppe (and me!) they had also temporarily run out of my choice of starter - mussels. So this was not going well! My second choice of mixed Mezze was very nice, if a little pedestrian, but both starters were elevated by the attention to detail of a lovely dressing on the small salad garnishes. My wife had crab and avacado which was declared delicious with perfectly ripe acacado and a reasonable amount of crab
My wife's Chicken Beyti (kebab) was also excellent, although lacking the traditional tomato sauce. I had the Iskendar keebab which was OK, but I have had better elsewhere. The bread had been cut into such small pieces that it just disappeared into the sauce and the unneccesary addition of cherry tomatoes totally unbalanced the dish.
The staff were lovely and seemed genuinely concerned that the dishes I had wanted were not available. Service was efficient on what was a very quiet Monday afternoon.
On balance, we really enjoyed our afternoon at Lazeppe and just about preffered it to Pivaz. However, we will probably not be rushing back given the lack of any "exotic" dishes on the menu (not really their fault!) and, in particular, we understand that the 20% afternoon discount deal may be coming to an end.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

A beautiful evening we sat on their decking. They allow smoking in a small cramped area which was very unpleasant when you are trying to eat.
The music was too loud. We asked twice to turn It down & they kept turning it up. I thought it was supposed to be background music not loud so it makes it difficult to talk over. So everyone was talking with raised voices.
The food was OK. Mixed mezze good. Salmon Nicoise salad was alot of lettuce and tiny flakes of salmon.
We asked for 2x decaf filter coffees with cream. They came up as floaters. When we explained it wasn't what we wanted the waitress sent for the manager (or head waiter). He said he has made them for us. We explained that they were not what we asked for. He spoke to us as if we should have them but we said we just wanted cream on the side.
The service was slow and not attemtive. We waited 30mins for coffee. And trying to get their attention to order or get the bill was not easy.
All in all I would not recommend and will not be returning. It looks good but is very disappointing.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

We (3 of us) ate here last Friday, luckily we got a table last minute. We’ve eaten here a few times now and will bring friends next weekend.

There’s a lovely atmosphere here, just the right amount of noise without being too loud. All the staff are friendly & welcoming.
There is a very good menu with a great choice of food, drinks & desserts.
It’s not the cheapest but we always enjoy the food and it’s fast becoming a favourite place to eat.

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

I’m going to give a 5 star purely because I have struggled for years to find a good restaurant in Epping, one that my husband and I want to re visit and call it our little escape. We visited one Friday evening and the restaurant was packed. The waiter and waitresses were so welcoming. Food was good, I have definitely eaten better, but abroad in Greece and Italy. We re visited a few days later and we were not disappointed! Lovely service, we tell them that we want to have a few glasses of wine and chill between courses and they are really cool with that. It’s nice to sit by the big windows and watch the world go by. I have had the garlic prawns which are awesome and I have had the Shish kebabs which are delicious. To top it all off was ana awesome dessert topped off with a Baileys and it really was gorgeous. A great restaurant in total.