“If you love fish and chips this is the place.”
Review of The Garnon Bushes

The Garnon Bushes
Ranked #17 of 67 Restaurants in Epping
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2016

My brother and I often use the Garnon Bushes for a pint after golf but in this occasion we attended Friday evening to take advantage of the "Friday is fish day" promotion, together with our respective wives. I and my sister in law ordered cod, my wife ordered haddock and my brother wing of skate. The cod was superb. Thick moist and perfectly cooked with a crisp dry batter. The skate covered three quarters of my brother's plate and he declared it to be the best and biggest piece of skate he had ever had. My wife's haddock was bigger than the plate. Again superbly cooked with a dry crisp batter. All meals were served with chips and fresh peas. The service was very friendly and all of our needs were met. The cost including drinks and a tip came to a total of £60. All in all it was a successful evening and we will definitely be returning.

Reviewed 7 May 2016

I am so glad I came across this pub. I needed to book somewhere halfway meeting point for our two families to meet up for a reunion lunch. So I decided Epping would be a great place to meet and eat.
The staff here are all very welcoming and friendly and attentive service. As it was Sunday some of us had the roast beef very good. Another dish ordered was the cottage Pie delicious Spinach and Ricotta Pasta dishes good and Sticky Toffee Pudding / Bushes Sundae went down well. Good menu Selection. The pub was busy but the staff did not make you feel rushed. Both our families really enjoyed our dining experience here. Shame we live so far in Hampshire but would definitely book again if we visit Epping.

Reviewed 6 February 2016 via mobile

A great pit stop during our dog walk. Nice beer and nibbles with friendly staff. Sat outside in the sun and watched the world go by.

Reviewed 30 January 2016

I am sorry to have to write this review but feel it necessary. I am adding to the review already written by one of our party. We went for lunch here having pre booked our table for 6 adults and one baby. The pub has some very good reviews and based on these we believed we would be having an enjoyable Saturday family lunch. The food was disgraceful the sandwiches were made with green mouldy bread, which was obvious to see. The fish fingers were blatantly the cheapest you could buy with the fish being very grey and little of it. The pie was burnt and hard. The fish and chips was greasy and the burger bun was stale. The salad was not fresh. How is it possible to run a business and survive if you are serving mouldy food. I was very upset as we sent the food back and did not eat lunch, especially as we had booked it as a treat. No real understanding from the lady we spoke to either just a shrug really.

3  Thank 628LandK
Reviewed 30 January 2016 via mobile

We decided to stop here as my dad had a helicopter flight scheduled at North Wield. We checked reviews before hand and decided that this was the the best place to go.

In short, the owner was friendly, as were the staff we encountered.

The pub was cleaned to a basic standard.

There were no changing facilities for babies, so we resorted to changing our son on the floor of the ladies toilet.

The food:

The fish fingers in the fish fingers sandwich were very poor in quality - fried heavily on the outside and grey in the middle.

The (fresh?) bread was green and mouldy in the creases. We did not discover this until we were mid eating..
Neither the salad nor the vegetables were fresh. My husbands pie was badly burnt on one side and all of the food was just a bit 'greasy'.

Although she appeared surprised by the situation, the owner did listen to our concerns and refunded the price of the 3 meals that were inedible.

The only reason I have given it two stars instead of 1 is because the pub has a beautiful exterior. Unfortunately this is not representative of the experience we had on the interior today. I'm hoping we just had some bad luck because the other reviews on here are very good...

Either way, it did spoil our family day out as 3 out of six adults left hungry and grumpy after sending their food back.

3  Thank jobeans90