“Disappointing Mercure Hatfield”

Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Reviewed 7 October 2017

11 of us stayed for one night and a business event the next day early October and whilst the venue was good for our event (of 35 people) we were disappointed with the evening meals (delayed and cold), breakfast (poor quality), poor staff (seemed unfamiliar with working in a hotel) and general decor (tired but refurbishment in progress).
To be fair, managers were keen to address problems and after raising our concerns, the lunch for the event was truly spectacular and we thought we were in a different hotel (hence 2 not 1 rating). Business meeting rooms (we used 3) are very good, particularly upstairs which are newly refurbished.
So, with some polite complaining and some effort from hotel managers, great things can be achieved. For me I am afraid that it still rates poor as guests should not have to battle so much with a hotel to get what they need.
Worth a visit if you don't mind a gamble on service standards and are prepared to complain until you get what you want.

Room Tip: Some rooms are quite a hike from reception. Avoid front of hotel rooms which face the busy road
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 October 2017

OK for a maximum one night stay if you are on business, but certainly not a place to go for in your leisure time. The rooms (I stayed in one which has not had the refurbishment) were old and dated. There was no atmosphere in the bar or restaurant and the food again was very average. Surely there must be better hotels in Hatfield?

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Katherine W, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

We won't be staying again. Check in was fine, we were given keys and wi-fi code. The reception & bar area were clean, comfortable and nice looking. We were told the corridors to the rooms were being decorated so to avoid the wet paint. That was fine, smell of paint but that didn't bother us. Our room was lovely, clean for the most part and modern with a nice bathroom & brilliant shower.

Six of us went for dinner in the empty restaurant. The one waitress was very pleasant and took our drinks order. We got our drinks and ordered food. 3 of the 6 meals ordered came out together. Those 3 meals were very nice. 3 never made it to the table, we cancelled after the first 3 had finished eating and the 4th meal to arrive was a cold beef sandwich, not the hot chicken sandwich expected. The waitress was very apologetic and she was very sincere. The restaurant manager, although a pleasant bloke seemed to be somewhat inept in his role. We spoke after the 6 of us left the restaurant and sat in the bar. The restaurant manager apologised and said he was short staffed. I asked him what we were being charged & he returned 15 minutes later with a bill for 2 meals and the drinks. Fair enough, not a great experience but he wasn't trying to charge more than he should have.

We all retired to our 3 rooms. At 2am I was woken by the sound of very loud voices and doors banging in the corridor outside our room. I was sharing a room with my 7 year old son who luckily stayed asleep through this, so I remained with him as he was settled rather than investingate and potentially wake him. This continued sporadically for 2 hours until I heard somebody say 'we can all smell weed, that needs to stop along with the noise or I shall call 999'. A little noise continued for about an hour and then peace.

Breakfast, not to bad. Loads of staff but had to ask for some tea. It was assumed the jug of milk on the saucer that had 'tea' written on the sign for it was tea, a little confusion there.

We ate out on the second evening and returned to the hotel and sat in the bar. There was a wedding reception in full swing and the music from it was pleasant. A few children running around which was fine, the screaming from the tops of their voices randomly, not so much, but kids will be kids.

Second nights sleep much better, hardly any noise from the corridors which I thought was pretty good considering a whole wedding party we're staying that night.

Last mornings breakfast, probably 8 members of staff eagerly waiting for a bowl of bacon to appear for guests to devour, then eggs, then hashbrowns ........ two members of staff could've covered what was needed and a little bit of common sense and thinking ahead would've meant nobody would have to wait for any items.

If I could offer any advice or constructive criticism to the powers that be, give your staff more training or simply employ people with some more basic skills. You could've had half the waiting staff for breakfast and paid each of them twice as much in wages and everyone would've had a much better experience of the hotel.

We've dubbed the place fawlty towers, nice building, shame about the staff, all pleasant enough but pretty incapable.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems you encountered within the food and beverage area , and ensure that the issues you raised are addressed to prevent future occurrences, although I am aware that any action we take now can offer little comfort.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future, and show you the usual standard of service and food that we can deliver and are usually so proud of.

Once again on behalf of myself and the team here at the hotel we are truly sorry for the experience you and your party received.

Katherine Webster-Brown

Reviewed 16 September 2017

I stayed here for one night. The hotel was great. The staff were very friendly, polite, and helpful. The room was very comfortable, although the mattress was a little too firm for me. I still got a very good night's rest thanks to it being very quiet, and very, very dark with the curtains drawn and the lights out. The breakfast was excellent. My one suggestion is to have some tall glasses for the orange juice.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Eirewolf

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Booked a 2 night all inclusive break.
On arrival the receptionist Lisa was lovely and very helpful. We were given a lovely newly refurbished room that had everything you needed, hairdryer, tea and coffee.
The food was lovely with plenty to choose from.
All the staff we encounter were brilliant, couldn't do enough for you.
The location is excellent, if recommend a trip to Woburn safari park, that's about a 40 drive.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ralphy30

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We hope we can welcome you back when you are next in the area.

Kind Regards

Katherine

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
1.9 km away
4.2 km away
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22
5.5 km away
Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Best Western Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
6.1 km away
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans

Been to Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!