“Murder Mystery Evening”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

My husband treated me to tickets to the Bell Hotel's Murder mystery evening. Started off as a bit of a disaster. We weren't on the seating plan even though we had tickets, then a staff member realised that our surname had been completely changed. The vegetarian option that had been requested for me they knew nothing about even though we had an email confirming it so I was presented with an alternative starter which would have been fine if it was proper soup. Was obviously a packet that they'd made up. No bread with it or even a spoon. Had to use my dessert spoon. Rest of the food was lovely and the theatre group were wonderful. I really enjoyed the evening in the end but The Bell needs to address the things that went wrong as I'm not sure I want to go back again. This was my first vist and it has put me off. Husband will be emailing a complaint.

1  Thank Michelle V

Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

Excellent lunch, very good service and charming staff. I opted for the cod and chips, which I could not get through as it was a large serving. I would certainly return. Excellent value for money and well cooked food. Our waitress was friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 1 June 2017

At the bar, we waited while a couple of ladies were being served by a young lady behind the bar. They had already received their drinks and were reviewing the menu and submitting food orders. A male employee arrived and started harassing the female employee while she served the ladies.

The male, with a thick non-British accent, then came to take our orders. We ordered drinks and requested the menu, at which point we were advised food service doesn't commence until 16:00. It was 15:54. No problem, we will provide our order, pay and get the meals when the galley opens.

He totally refused to take any meal orders until 16:00. Disgusted with his attitude and complete lack of customer service, we left the drinks (untouched and unpaid) and departed for another local restaurant, which employed vastly superior staff.

3  Thank Gla_Rangers
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Just took my partner and our son out for lunch and have been very disappointed. As a chef myself I think it's disgusting that a "chef" could send out a meal so poor. I had the slow cooked lamb shank which was flat and looked more like a lamb steak and also had more fat on than meat. The vegetables were all over cooked and could tell the dish was sat under hot lights for God knows how long as the carrots were as dry as sand. My partner has the hunters chicken which was ok apart from the bacon was so overcooked that you touched it and it would shatter and the chicken was just as dry as my carrots. The only good meal was our sons and I asked for fish fingers but yet got battered cod which he didn't mind but the tartare sauce was served in a red hot ramekin. The best thing I can say was the beer was cold but can easily say we won't be back for a long time. Think you need to get a new chef to be honest, someone that actually cares what they serve and has passion for what they do. Very disappointed.

2  Thank Alex B
Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

We had a table booked for 6 for Sunday lunch. Friendly and quick service and very good value for money 2 or 3 course set Sunday lunch menu.

Well worth a visit.