“Good food and lovely service”
Review of Birdies

Birdies
Ranked #8 of 137 Restaurants in Whitstable
Price range: US$24 - US$32
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Beautiful French Bistro in the heart of Whitstable, full of character & charm, serving local seafood, an array of french delights & homemade deserts. Child friendly, groups & private parties welcome.
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Theresa and I arrived at 6.30 on Thursday evening. Glad we had booked as the restaurant appeared to be full. We were shown a table by the bar. The menu is not huge - only 6 main dishes geared mainly toward fish. I had squid fried in garlic. It was lovely and our server offered us some focaccia style bread to finish off the sauce. My skate was lovely and Theresa had a beautiful niece if line-caught cod. We were very happy with our meals and found the servers to be very personable and made our evening very memorable. Thanks to them both.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

We visited Whitstable last summer and as we passed Birdies Restaurant noticed that they had some delicious sea food available.
As we live miles from the sea we don't often have fresh sea food!
Sadly, on this occasion we were unable to have lunch as they were fully booked.

We returned last week having booked a table for four of us and we were not disappointed.
We sat by the window, (watching the world go by outside) and two of us had mussels, two had bouillabaisse followed by cod and bream.
The local beer was excellent as well.

Following this we walked into the fish market and along the sea front to help "walk it down".
Thank you Birdies for a lovely meal in very pleasant surroundings.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Have just had lunch at Birdies, although we are local, it was our first time there. We both had Cod with potatos and vegetables, and it was delicious. Followed by Chocolate Torte and Sticky Toffee Pudding, both heavenly!! Staff were lovely and friendly. Will definitely return!

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

The Redhead and I have always liked Birdies. My reviews have been a tad half-hearted for the stars awarded, but not this time. On an unusually quiet and cold midweek evening, we were the only customers, but that is not why the meal was so good. Unusually for us, we chose exactly the same dishes (bar my no 'no salt' chips). Too often, squid is either hidden in a batter, or is overcooked. Ours was cooked naturally and was tender and tasted of squid. A delightful waitress got her head around our strange requests. The owners son was in the kitchen. The French (Oc) house rose was inexpensive but as good most from Provence. The star, however, was the duck breast. Anyone who watches Masterchef knows how difficult professionals find cooking duck breast. Ours was moist, not tough, and pink, not bloody. In short, the best duck we have eaten outside of France (and better than many there). It was so good that the Redhead insisted there not be any equivocation! A great night out.

2  Thank Clive W
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I attended birdies on Saturday night 11/3/18 for a Mother’s Day meal and to celebrate my return from abroad. We had been before and had no complaints.
However the first moan was the entrance door needs a closer as anyone who left or came left the door wide open and the cold coming in. We had to close it ourselves every time,as we were close to the door.
The meal now, choose from the board menu. My starter was to be French onion soup however they had none. This was not pointed out on arrival. So I choose lobster bisque instead which tasted like it was from a tin. The bread I asked for was forgotten and brought halfway through after reminding the staff , who seemed more interested in chatting behind the bar than making sure the clients were ok.
My main was bass which I had to send back. It was salty and tough. I have had better fish from a birds eye pack. They apologised and asked if I wanted something else which detracts from the fact my wife would have finished her meal. (Steak wellington , which was ok)
We were not charged for the meal , however it spoilt the evening completely and the apology was half hearted.
As I said had no complaints before but they need to up their game as there is plenty of good competition in Whitstable.

2  Thank Michael L