Mother Shipton's Cave and The Petrifying Well
Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
A day in Knaresborough

I was last here 45 years, it seemed a lot further to walk then. Still a mythical walk and story but... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Dave G
via mobile
Interesting and picturesque

Interesting well told story with boards and audio. Small museum and shop. Entrance fee £7 for... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
shakespeare076
Tamworth, United Kingdom
via mobile

1,415 results
All reviews walk along the river teddy bears nice walk robin hood small museum guide book gift shop play area worth a visit beautiful scenery treasure hunt car parking interesting place to visit family ticket interesting history couple of hours sunny day
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Took our granddaughter on Monday to visit the advertised Beatrix Potter event, hoping to meet Peter Rabbit.

The event was in my opinion, a non event. A frog and squirrel who looked quite scary. A very nice Mrs Rabbit who had a lovely way with the children. But no Peter Rabbit. We asked at the shop and again at the entrance but were unable to find out if Peter Rabbit was actually at the event. Unless Peter was in a burrow having a nap, I do not believe he was there!

Attempted to use the toilet with the changing table but decided against due to health and safety. The toilet floor was filthy and food was lying in a corner. There was no where to hang a changing bag and I was certainly not going to put my granddaughter on the changing table.

This is an event that is certainly not value for money and would not recommend taking young children.

4  Thank Rhona C
Fiona M, General Manager at Mother Shipton's Cave and The Petrifying Well, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Thank you for your message and I am sorry that you feel this way. The character in the warren is Peter Rabbit as is detailed on the adventure quiz sheet. You may have been confused because the actor playing the role was female. We have informed the actors that they must introduce themselves as Peter Rabbit, to avoid any more confusion.

The toilet floors and changing unit are cleaned every evening. This is an outdoor attraction in a natural woodland and unfortunately we have the wet weather against us, we try our upmost to maintain them with regular checks through the day. Thank you for your valid opinion in regard to the hooks, we are going to address this by providing coat and bag hooks.

We are sorry to hear that you do not feel it is value for money as many young families have had a wonderful time. We believe that £5 for a child from 3-15 years with under 3 years free, is extremely reasonable.

Thank you for your comments.
Mother Shipton's Cave

Reviewed 19 February 2018

MOoher shiptons this year has totally mixed it up with many events coming up starting with Peter Rabbit the last weekend in March and not many of us knowing you can actually take your dogs!! Loved my day out here such beautiful scenery, witch history and being able to make a wish in the wishing well was amazing and lets not forget the hanging teddys ypu decided creepy or intresting? Wil 100% be visiting all the events this year !

6  Thank SaraSmile23
Reviewed 3 February 2018

I had so looked forward to seeing Mother Shipton's Cave and the Petrifying Well on our visit to England but it was closed for the winter. Winter closure this year is Oct 30 2017 opening for weekends in March of 2018

Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

I'd wanted to visit for some time. We were informed at the gate that the gift shop and visitors center was closed and offered a reduced price. We thought fair enough and went in. For the price we did pay I expected a bit more than a couple of caves. We might visit for a day out with a picnic when the baby is older and everything is open.

3  Thank Catherine H
Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

My family and I went here and I am glad we did! The history of this place is fascinating and it is very interesting to learn about I would go here again!

1  Thank amggtr06