“Worst customer service I have ever experienced!!”
Review of Newton House

Newton House
Ranked #4 of 15 Knaresborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Booked here through booking.com then rang hotel to check on parking lady lol on reception then told me abruptly and rudely that I couldn't have booked as it was fully booked all weekend eventually she came down off her high horse to say she would look into it and ring me back...... No call this was last November for booking in July. This morning I went to book another break with booking. Com and noticed I was still down for newton lodge? I rang the hotel again and spoke to the same delightful person who said oh it's u again I thought u cancelled it? I said you was going to check it out and ring me back then she said I'm busy what do you want!! I have never had this attitude from an hotel when it was clearly not my fault!! Your hotel might be lovely love but your in Yorkshire now where we pride ourselves on being friendly. I'm going for a cold shower

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Littleman6666
newtonhouse, Owner at Newton House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Any readers of this review should be aware that this person did NOT stay at
Newton House, contrary to what TripAdvisor shows. Denise.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I would agree with other reviewers about the attention to detail re the facilities in the room and the delicious breakfast. And the lady who served our breakfast was friendly and helpful.
But the stay was spoilt by the manner of the manager. Having been put under pressure to state our arrival time we were made to feel uncomfortable because our arrival wasn't as precise as we'd said - 'This is a guest house, not a hotel'. Perhaps the word 'hotel' should be removed from the signage at the front of the building and on the entrance door? This meant that Denise was busy with another guest as we arrived so she came to our room to 'welcome' us. She questioned our use of a portable radiator - 'It's very warm in here, do really need to use that?' She later rang our room to ask us at what time we intended to take breakfast - a little exceptional in view of the fact that the breakfast slot is only an hour and a quarter? On our emergence in the morning she said, 'You will have noticed that the heating isn't working'. - how about, 'I'm really sorry that the heating isn't working this morning'? An attitude of brusque self justification and rightness isn't welcoming but makes guests feel uncomfortable.
This was a return visit to the hotel as we had good memories of staying some years before under a previous management. We won't be returning again.

2  Thank Mercia L
newtonhouse, Owner at Newton House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

I'm so sorry I got it wrong for you, Mercia L.

I work hard on providing lovely facilities as well as the warmest of welcomes, which is why we get excellent ratings and so many returning guests. But I really regret that 'events' that day may have let you down. I hope you'll change your minds and come back again too.

By the way, we spend a lot of money each year to be inspected by the AA, who have awarded us 4 Gold stars, Highly Commended, for Guest Accommodation. I did check with them some time ago about the old ‘Newton House Hotel’ sign. As this sign is part of the fabric of the building the AA are happy for it to remain. They are also happy that Newton House is being marketed as Guest Accommodation. As you know, we are busy decorating and refurbishing the interior of Newton House (I hope you got the information you required about radiator paint from my decorator). The exterior is due to be tackled in April, and the old brass sign on the conservatory door will be replaced then, with the correct name, as well as our new corporate identity which we are quite excited about.

PS: it's pretty normal for B&B owners to ask guests about their expected
arrival time and about their preferred breakfast time too - I have to shop
for fresh breakfast goodies etc, and it just help a bit!

With best wishes, Denise.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Found this hotel after browsing on net and read up on reviews, was not disappointed. Stayed only for 1 night in the superior doubles, room very spacious and clean. The staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfast was lovely, very good choice. Mini bar in room and also in lounge downstairs, we didn't use these facilities but there was a wide choice and good price. Would definitely stay here again. Will try when weather a bit better so we can continue the pub crawl!!!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay with our dog at this great little hotel.
Denise and her staff were so welcoming, with advice on restaurants, pubs and walks.
For a dog owner, Newton House is just perfect, your own front door to the outside courtyard.
There was even a jar of homemade dog biscuits!
Breakfast was delicious, including preserves and the most tastiest cooked fruit selection.
This included rhubarb, plums, pears and dried fruits, all beautifully flavoured.
My husband enjoyed the cooked option of Yorkshire sourced eggs,bacon,sausage and black pudding. I chose porridge and Egg Benedict, both very good.
Our room, was spacious, very comfortable and spotless.

Knaresborough is a delightful town, and Newton House is a perfect base for visiting further afield.
We took the train to York, and the bus to Harrogate.
We shall be returning!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
newtonhouse, Owner at Newton House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thanks so much for the lovely review - it was a pleasure to have you, and the gorgeous Flora, stay with us. I've been scouring all the border collie rescue sites ever since! What you didn't say was that Flora went with you on the train and the bus - she's a very well-travelled dog. Newton House has two 'dog-friendly' rooms. These are our superior double (or twin) 'stable' rooms with direct access from the car park. We can provide beds, blankets, towels, toys etc, but find most guests bring their own. Every doggie guest does get home-made dog bix (just like my grandmother used to make), plus information on where to go, walks etc - we even offer a dog sitting and walking service. Will look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Really couldn't fault a thing. We were travelling with our dog and so were allocated one of the special canine rooms. The room was very comfortable with lots of thoughtful touches - right down to the complimentary home made dog biscuits. Denise and her staff made us extremely welcome, suggesting walks that may be of interest etc. and the breakfasts we received were the stuff dreams are made of !

1  Thank GoJo950