“Overnight after Ripon races”

Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Scotch Corner
Reviewed 20 August 2017

Hotel itself is very nice, decor is eye catching. The room was a good size and clean, however the zircon did not work and the room was very hot poor nights sleep, NOT HAPPY. On check out informed the reception man, he said he would get it fixed however not much use to me as was checking out, no offer of compensation either......, secondly the TV was missing batteries from remote had to ask for them also.
The restaurant:- We had dinner not the greatest by a long way, The pate starter was very odd, it had very tired salad, pate and what i can only describe as a popadom broken up with some over done french bread toasted, the red onion jam was nothing more than red onions in sweet water, not jam as you would expect. Main course, was cooked correctly however over seasoned with pepper which was all that could be tasted, the onion rings were bland and greasy, oh and some more tired green stuff. The sweet potato chips were nice.
Breakfast was a buffet style and was fine. I must say overall I would look for another property to stay when next in the area or insist that these issues were put right or given another room. The room was 110, tooooo hot.

Room Tip: Avoid room 110, unless aircon is fixed
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Hi axeltramp!

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience. I'm glad to know that you liked our hotel aesthetics, and spacious and clean rooms. I'm sorry to know though about the uncomfortable temperature in your room and disappointing dining experience.

We are committed to bring true hospitality to life, everyday. Your feedback will go directly to our maintenance and restaurant teams to ensure that steps will be taken to avoid these in the future.

Again, thanks for your comments, and we hope that we can win back your heart back and try us again.

Many thanks,

Gian M
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 17 August 2017

I stayed here for a few days whilst visiting family. The room was exceptionally clean and had all the necessary amenities. The breakfast was outstanding but the best thing about the stay was the lovely friendly staff especially Caroline who made us feel so welcome and couldn't have been more helpful during our stay . Her husband was also lovely . What a difference exceptional staff make !!!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Stayed for one night, Its a holiday inn so you know what to expect. This one did seem a little more luxurious that some though. Staff were helpful and very friendly. Nice food in the evening with surprisingly large portions. Help yourself breakfast with everything you could want and very tasty. Free parking. Good free Wifi. Good access to the A1, but then it is on the main roundabout, traffic does not intrude though.I would definatey stay again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Stayed at this hotel for three nights and was pleased for the allocation of a comfortable bedroom and although overlooking the Scotch Corner Roundabout experienced very little traffic noise. The staff were extremely pleasant and friendly, in particular those employees in the restaurant. Breakfast was self service and was of a 'good' standard.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

I was unfortunately disappointed with this hotel, it's absolutely gorgeous. The rooms are lovely and the food was great! However I returned to my room after 12 hours out to find the housekeepers had left my room unlocked all day. The keep kept unlinking so it wouldn't open the room door, electric cut out and on the Saturday night I didn't have a great experience at the bar. There was one staff member in the hotel, he was manning the desk, phone and bar! Whilst serving me he answered the phone twice and just randomly kept walking off without even saying excuse me or giving me a warning that he was going. The bar was poorly stocked, no cash in the till etc. Just poor in general.

I was quite frustrated by the lady on the desk who for some reason seemed to think I wasn't capable of placing my key card in the electric slot properly and in such implying I was doing something wrong. I think if annoyed me more because she was actually really lovely, I just found this incredibly patronising as I'm not thick and I know how to put a key card into a slot.

I explained I was quite annoyed and pretty unhappy with the issues and nothing was done to resolve my feelings about this at the hotel. Probably won't return for this reason.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Hi Barnes1993,

Your insights are important to us and I appreciate your recent visit at the Holiday Inn Darlington - A1 Scotch Corner, UK. It is good to know that the room and the food met your requirements. We take pride in providing high standards of service and accommodations.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the bar service. It is our aim to deliver true hospitality and your feedback will help our hotel to improve your next visit. To ensure that nothing is missed, I sent you a private message to acquire additional detail.

We are looking forward to hear back from you!

Many thanks,

1.8 km away
Middleton Lodge
Middleton Lodge
#4 of 8 in Richmond

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner? Share your experiences!