All reviews cauliflower cheese fresh veg full english breakfast yorkshire pud saturday night carvery iron
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

Limited parking. Very small room with a cheap, very squeeky, tacky four poster bed. I can only assume it was the cleaners day off as there was dust around the very small TV and the one(?) bed side lamp. The canopy over the bed has dust and hair on top.
The mattress is so thin I wouldn't put it on the floor as a dog bed.
Dated decor.
Kettle still had water in.
Pleasant bar area with a small bar and seating area.
The hotel is centrally located and is surrounded by bars and food outlets.
We asked if breakfast was available to be told she wasn't sure as the manager was away?
Oh and you need a large pocket to take the key and the lump of attached tree out with you.
Would rather camp on the central reservation of the a14 than waste my money on this poor excuse for a hotel.

Date of stay: May 2018
2  Thank Milky2020
sowgate, Owner at Rothwell House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2018

hi yes the car park is small but we can get up to 15 car if everybody was good at parking and parking is free only 20 yards in the town.
as for you camping well.
the kettle we always levee water in it as a lot of guests turn the kettle on without checking the water levels and blows the kettle.
the key fob is big to remind guests to leave on reception or if you fall in the canal so you can float as for the bed i shook it and it was ok yes the top cover was a little dusty but no hair .
the bar is quit small but with a large seating area.
the hotel has just been decorated bars and restaurant the building is 1900 and not a premier inn or travel lodge.
We have almost finished gutting all the bathrooms and putting all new walls floors and all the white things.
good luck on the a14 will keep a eye out for you many thanks

Reviewed 30 April 2018

I paid for a family room as the double rooms had gone. This was simply a double room with a single bed squeezed in also! The one window in my room was a tiny rectangular window, more suited to a window in a downstairs toilet. The only lighting came from two wall lights that gave off hardly any light and my laptop has a bigger screen than the flat screen TV provided. I decided to eat in the restaurant as the only other place to eat was an Indian restaurant across the road and as I was attending a conference the following morning I didn’t want to smell of curry or garlic. There were probably 6-7 choices on the menu, two with garlic bread and one was a bowl of chips! I settled for the chips because I at least know how unhealthy they are. I was awakened at around midnight by the people in the room next door shouting and banging doors etc. I had to google the hotel to find the number to ring and complain about the noise. They did come up to speak to them and I heard a couple leave not long after. Then the guy left made a phone call and the walls were so thin I could hear the muffled voice of the person on the other end of the phone. I finally got back to sleep until about 2am when somebody along the hall started banging on one of the doors for his buddy to let him in!

I had paid for breakfast but just needed to leave ASAP so I didn’t bother.

I remember being unemployed and homeless years ago and the social paid my rent on a temporary bedsit and that was what this guest house reminded me of. I say guest house because a hotel doesn’t lock the front door but is open to guests at all times, phones are at least provided to call reception and beds are generally comfortable (this one was hard, so much so it hurt my hip to lie on it). If I’d stayed at the Premier Inn I would have received at least a partial refund for not getting a good nights sleep. As it was I struggled to stay awake during the conference due to lack of sleep.

Room tip: Find somewhere else
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Jayne M
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

This is a budget hotel. My partner and I booked through Air BnB for £42 on a Saturday night with breakfast. It is a 2 star hotel and is good value for money. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The full English breakfast was well cooked. We got exactly what we paid for. The room although dated was clean and the bedding and towels fresh. Would stay again.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Visited for Sunday carvery. Only 3 tables in use in restaurant, but was told to sit in empty bar area. Order draught beer. Had to send it back. It tasted disgusting. (Was warned about beer from locals) so settled for bottle beer. Service at carvery was very very slow. Only 3 people in front of me. Still stood in line for 10 minutes before being served. For the price £30 for 2 drinks and 2 meals for a poor experience I won't be back.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

Very tired old hotel stayed here for 5 nights (work related ).
Room was tired needed decorating,bed very uncomfortable lighting poor 2 tiny wall lamps,wardrobe so close to the bed you couldn't open it.
Bathroom was OK decent shower clean .
The TV was as big as a laptop screen,Tea,Coffee supplied.
Breakfast was not bad cereal juice and a full English for £5.00 was reasonable and adequate.
2Bacon,1sausage,1egg,hash brown,mushrooms,tin tomatoes,beans, fried bread,toast Tea or coffee.Had a carvery on wed evening £7.95 it was a nice meal.2meats pork and beef 6/7 variety's of veg ,roast pots and thick gravy, stuffing and the fluffiest Yorkshire puds.
The staff were friendly but overworked.

Date of stay: March 2018