“Superb food in a relaxing, welcoming setting”
Review of North Wheddon Farm Restaurant - CLOSED

North Wheddon Farm Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I heard about this wonderful restaurant through a friend as the owners don't advertise and have already built-up a solid reputation through word-of-mouth. We booked to celebrate a friend's birthday, which meant we all but took over the intimate dining room - complete with its wonderful open fire and lovely furnishings. And because it was just like eating in your own (but much grander!) dining room, it meant we could easily hold a conversation with the person sitting at the other end of the table . . . and there were 12 of us! Because it was a large booking we were asked to pre-order from a £25-a-head set menu. There was plenty of choice and the food was superb. Good local produce, expertly cooked and wonderfully presented. The website has a sample menu which gives you an idea of the type of fare to expect - venison, rabbit, pork, home-smoked meats and fish, terrines. All glorious hearty stuff! We will definitely be returning as the service was exemplary, nothing was too much trouble, and the food was right up there, too! It would be great to go back as a couple to really make the most of the relaxed setting.

2  Thank Henwife
exmoorman, Owner at North Wheddon Farm Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Thks for such a great review, It’s always a real pleasure to get feedback. Keep a look out for our new menu which we launching in August. Hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

We ate here last weekend and had such a wonderful night!
My husband and I hadn't had such a fabulous meal in ages. Last meal, just the 2 of us, was 12 months ago so no pressure!! BUT it was wonderful, great atmosphere, lovely service and the food was amazing!
The home smoked ham was such a deep flavour (my husbands starter) and my home smoked chicken salad just melted in my mouth. For main I had pork loin with cheddar,apple and cream ( which sounded filling but) was really really tasty. Finishing with homemde choc icecream, well i nearly embaressed myself licking it off my skirt!!!
(BTW my husbands main of chicken and sticky toffee pud were just as delicious but i don't won't to spoil all your fun!)

The dinning room was intimate but not intimidating, you could be a group or a couple and feel equally welcome.

BUT you must book and I reccommend you do as you won't be disappointed!

1  Thank Emalourowe
Reviewed 23 May 2012

The three course meal was served in a lovely characterful dining room. The food was excellent and very good value for money. The wine list, although not extensive, was very good and reasonably priced.

1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Even if the log fire isn't blazing when you visit North Wheddon Farm Restaurant, you can be sure of a warm welcome from owners Julian and Rachael. Four of us tried it on the recommendation of a work colleague for a 60th birthday celebration, wanting a low key occasion ahead of a hectic family party. The atmosphere was relaxed and the hosts friendly but not obtrusive, offering service that was just right. A really nice touch was a birthday card - beautifully made by one of the children - and sparklers on the birthday girl's pudding. You can order ahead, which we did, but you don't have to. The menu provides more than enough choice and the comfort of knowing that every dish has been home produced, with many of the ingredients not having far to travel. The salmon and ham are home smoked and pork and lamb reared on the farm, while the bread is also home baked. The dishes are well cooked, presented with flair and delicious. The restaurant uses a local wine merchant and the wine list offers some good, yet reasonably priced choices. Overall, the experience was excellent - and, an added bonus - ten per cent off the food for locals!

1  Thank Charlies_mumSomerset
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Food is great, service is lovely - they accommodated my partner being a coeliac (and neither of us eating meat which isn't easy in all hunting and fishing Exmoor!). Really well priced and we ate in front of a blazing log fire. Lovely.