Open today: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Ways to Experience Alton Towers Theme Park
from US$47.74
More Info
19,041 results
All reviews alton towers theme park cbeebies land sky ride fast track tickets big rides runaway train queue times nemesis sub terra scare mazes end of the day log flume merlin passes free tickets popular rides longest queue thrill rides
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 August 2021 via mobile

We visited on Friday 13th August, purchased our tickets in advance online for £39 each. I have read reviews where people bought tickets for another day then realised forecast was rain and the theme park refused to refund, you should buy them after checking forecast to avoid this, we purchased day before and knew it would be sunny.
Weather was good, we set off from home very early but due to excessive traffic on motorway it did delay our arrival by the time we got into the busy car park it was 10.30. Then choice of free monorail to take you yo gate entry but 20 min queue for monorail or 15 min walk we chose to walk.
It is £6 to park but you have an option to park closer to the main entrance but at £18 we stayed with the longer walk.
We got into the park at 11am and had already downloaded the app so we could see which rides has least queue time. As expected the main big ones were showing 75 mins on average most of the day. We managed a few smaller ones with 10 min waits such a Dual but majority of the day was 60 min min queuing time.

I don't understand how people can leave bad reviews based on queue times ever since I've been coming to Alton Towers (30 years now) it's what you expect especially in the school summer holidays! Some people just want everything for nothing! They have to fill the park so they can pay their overheads.
My only gripe about queuing is I've never understood why they don't do something to either entertain you or even staff walking around selling drinks/food but either way it's just the boredom of 75 mins and would be great if there was something to do in that time, we were lucky as weather was good and most queues were outside in fresh air and not too bad an experience however my brother said the queue for Smiler was horrific as they were inside and liked a caged area so in that respect I'm glad we avoided that.

My sister paid £8 to go to the Dungeon Tour and loved it, you have a time slot given and just work your day around it.

We stayed at the park right until the death and found that the last hour 6-7 ride times drastically reduced, Galactica was 20 mins and Wickerman was 40 mins.

We did 22,000 steps in total and thoroughly enjoyed our day, we are an active group so I'm not sure how effective the park/cost would be if you have mobility issues however there are beautiful gardens to explore also so it's not just rides I always love attending regardless of rides.

If you hate queuing this is not the place doe you.
If you are organised like we were, book your tickets based on weather forecast, they don't run out of tickets and it's same price day before as it is a week before, bring snacks in rucksack and think of ways to keep your group entertained in the queues we downloaded games to play.

All in all would recommend

2  Thank missy_diva
Reviewed 14 August 2021 via mobile

Great day out for my daughter's 8th birthday. She enjoyed cbeebies land and bits of other stuff. Tiring day for kids but really worth it for memories.

Couple of tips I wish I knew:

*We spoke to families the night before and traffic can be bad. We set off around 8.30 and was just getting busy but felt about right so good time to arrive I think.

*Disability parking - we really needed this for mum and we arrived early enough to get the best spot. When we returned to the car there was not s spot left anywhere.

*Guest services / mobility scooter - again desperate for this for my mum to independently enjoy the day, we were worried about getting one. Guest services is just located past the entrance so no need to go looking anywhere else or trek. Really helpful and take the 25 deposit and charge 25.

1  Thank kamerona690
Reviewed 14 August 2021 via mobile

Went here on a Friday and agree with lots of the comments. Took an hour to get into the park, when inside the queue time was 70mins at least for all the big rides. Took my daughter to CBeebies land which she loved, sadly again too many people and the ride time 40minutes plus, one broke down after waiting 30 minutes.
I will say the staff were fantastic, making and real fuss as it was my daughters birthday - thank you.
All in all I’d say you need 2 days here, a lot of money and patience.

1  Thank victorialF5882YK
Reviewed 14 August 2021 via mobile

You spend 90% of the time waiting in queues, rides keep braking down and the worst thing is that the park is open from 10 am to 19pm and believe me 9 hours is not enough to complete 10 rides, the park is well over the capacity just not fair on customers.

3  Thank giboia27
Reviewed 14 August 2021 via mobile

Did a hotel break at hilton garden and 2 days at alton towers and waterpark, theme park was very good, kids went on numerous rides over the 2 days, both had ride access passes so didnt have to queue much, 2 nd day went to the rollercoaster restaurant which was fun, bit pricy at 50 pounds for the 3 of us but food was nice and good service, was a bit disappointed with the waterpark, there were no proper signs for the water rides that I could see and people seemed to be queing aimlessly all around, however we had a good time overall and we got in really quickly both days as opposed to other trips to Thorpe park and chessington