Newton House B&B(Newton Solney)
TripAdvisor
The Unicorn Inn(Newton Solney)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscountry housewaiting on staffwedding guestswedding receptionfor sunday lunchlovely hotelfunction roombreakfast staffbeautiful buildingbit datedstandard roomprivilege roomshort breakafternoon teaburton upon trentvenueconservatory
Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel with a group of work colleagues. My room had plenty of space, was clean and the bed was big and comfy. The hotel let us have our dinner in a separate room which meant we could make a bit of noise and stay talking. The food was tasty with good portions. All in all a good nights stay.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
018gm, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Dear Kaymanuel,

Thank you for your very kind review of the Hotel. I very much look forward to welcoming you back with us.

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed here while attending a course nearby. Hotel was quiet. Staff were very friendly. Can’t comment on breakfast as I was out too early every morning but the bar menu was good for dinner. Decor is a little tired in places particularly in the bathrooms but the hotel is clean and there is plenty of hot water. Beds are very comfy. Perfect as a base for exploring the local area.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
018gm, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Dear Wizzbuff

Thank you for your review. Your comments are very much appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

Stayed for one night with work and this is a truly lovely building much of the original features are intact and are beautiful- if management replaced some of the soft furnishings it would lift the hotel - and clean the carpet in the dining room. We had two top floor rooms and they were very clean good firm bed and nice bedding but a bit dated. Breakfast was good but the evening meal promised more than it delivered with some adventurous choices reduced to not quite up to par. Wine and food prices quite high I thought and service was slow. Staff need a bit of a lesson in charm as they are lifeless although still helpful . Our night was slightly ruined by a group of four workmen who effed and jeffed loudly until I told them off. I'd probably stay again if I was in the area

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
018gm, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Dear GeordieJulie,

Thank you for your review. I have taken on board what you have said with regards to the soft furnishings etc and also the carpet - Carpet cleaner is booked to come to the hotel to do all of the downstairs.

Good on you for telling other guests to mind their ps and qs. I would have done exactly the same.

I hope to see you back in the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

Surrounded by lovely villages and rolling countryside this hotel set in its own parkland feels relaxing as soon as you enter the drive. Admittedly all the decor is worn and some parts of the hotel frankly tatty but made a change from modern boring hotels.
some terrific architecture and great view from our bedroom window.
good varied menu.
A point I often make re Accord hotels.....why is the wine selection so poor and so few FRENCH wines available at a French owned hotel?

Room Tip: Don't book if they have a wedding event.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
018gm, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Dear Nigel P,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. It is very much appreciated. Our hotel indeed has character.

We are franchised under the Accor umbrella, however we are not owned by them, but I take onboard your comments regarding the wine selection.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

Older style hotel, with lots of wood panelling, creaky floor boards and beautiful stained glass windows at the top of the stairs. This is a comfy, cosy hotel not a sleek marble shiny characterless edifice like many modern hotels. We had a very reasonable room rate, that didn't include breakfast and although the room was small, it was adequate, clean and comfortable, though the bathroom was very tight, particularly for sitting on the loo!!
We had drinks in the bar area which was pleasant and we felt the drinks were not unreasonably priced as mentioned in some other reviews.
The receptionist was polite and very friendly and welcoming. All in all we were please with our one night stay and would happily stay again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
018gm, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Dear Lollsol,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience. We do indeed have character and I suspect many stories hidden in our oak panelling. If only this building could review secrets of bygone years when it was a former country home.

I am delighted to read you found my team to be polite, friendly and welcoming. Thank you so very much.

I would love to welcome you back in the very near future.