Strahan Wilderness Lodge
Silver Hills Motel(Queenstown)
US$91
US$79
Priceline
Comfort Inn Gold Rush(Queenstown)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$90
TripAdvisor
  • Room Service
All reviewsb bother guestssized kitchennew ownersbreakfast was includedmacquarie harbourwould definitely stay here againtown centresemiaccommodationloungetownshiptoaster
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 October 2016

We stayed in the semi-detached cottage for two nights and had an enjoyable stay. Having just wanted something quiet and reasonably priced for a couple of nights, I was very happy!

The decor is very old fashioned and it felt a little like I was staying in an elderly friends' home - loved the old fashioned feel! I tend to like my accommodation quirky and grew up in old, quirky houses with interesting additions and nooks and crannies, so this felt homey (although why cover the walk-in robe in the main room with a wardrobe?)

The bathroom even had carpets!

The cottage was clean enough (with the slight feeling of grubbiness that you get in older places that haven't had a renovation in a while) and the loungeroom heated up easily with a modern heat pump. The bedrooms had lovely views and light, and were chilly with oil heaters - not that this mattered with the electric blankets turned on. The bed was an older style, extremely soft but comfortable. It felt like snuggling into a nest for the night. I loved the bright bedroom and big bay window, the old photos and all the quirky little objects/decorations.

The kitchen is huge for a holiday house, and I liked it.

Both my husband and I have asthma and allergy issues, but did not notice any kero or mould smells inside and neither of us noted any asthma symptoms during our stay.

I'd happily return the next time I feel like a low-key stay in the area.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2016 via mobile

We had a great overnight stay here, amazing hospitality, nice clean cosy room, amazing views. All the other guests we met were very friendly. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying here and will be back again. Thanks very much

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2016

We arrived to find a key in an envelope. No sign of anyone. The 2 rooms we had booked stank of dust and mould and there was a very strong smell of kero inside the house. As we had 1 person who is a severe asthmatic and another 2 with bad allergies we were forced to seek alternate accommodation. The lodge where our rooms were booked needs to cleaned up and an upgrade wouldn't go astray. Cheap but not desirable.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 461lyng
Reviewed 6 April 2016

We stayed in the cabin 3 for one night. Pluses it was very private and secluded and had fantastic views of the bay. Minuses very dated and in need of some tlc. The veranda was very tired looking and not at all inviting, this was a shame as it would have been a lovely place to sit to enjoy the view. The price was ok and the view worth the price but don't expect much for the decor inside the cabin.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2016 via mobile

Stayed three nights in a double room with ensuite. Was welcomed with a key in an envelope to let ourselves in. This was a welcomed start made my wife feel like she was entering a friends house and we were given the run, no-one there giving us a chance to have a good look. If you are on the West Coast after a bit of history when was the last time a stranger trusted leaving his keys for you to explore his house. The building was well loved probably with plenty of stories to tell, it was basic but warm with great views at a reasonable price compared to others in town, even our usual stop inflated its prices for easter, but good for us. There was a couple of squeaks in the floor but that is to be expected from an old house and adds to the charm. The drive was 3 minutes to the Wilderness Cruise and was on the road leading to the Great Ocean Beach and Hell's Gates. My wife and I slept well to wake with Brian (the owner) preparing our continental breakfast in the dinning room, coffee made and toast placed on the table and a warm greeting. The rooms were clean and had that old house smell, like being at Grandma's house. You can go anywhere to stay in a modern hotel at an inflated price but to stay at a place that makes you feel at home when your away is a bit harder to find. Stayed in Strahan a fee times now and we will return to this accommodation next time. Also to top things of met some great people whilst staying there. In brief: good price, clean room, great views, conveniently placed, homely, feel of yesteryear, holiday went well.
Dean and Tina.