“Yummy brisket!”

The Proper Pig Smokehouse
Ranked #20 of 153 Restaurants in Lakewood
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Description: The Proper Pig Smokehouse is a no frills down home fast casual BBQ joint that offers you a unique, hands on experience as we cut our fresh smoked meats to order right in front of you. In the true Texan way we serve it up on a cafeteria tray with a side of pickles, onions and some white bread with a hearty selection of local beers.
Reviewed 10 July 2017

Went at just the right time (6pm Saturday) Hardest thing to do was decide what to have! I got the brisket sandwich with potato salad. My friend got a 2 meat combo, with smoked turkey and pulled pork. It came with cole slaw and 2 slices of white bread. The meats are served w/o sauce which is at the tables. Hot sauce is also provided. Generous portions of meat and sides are served in front of you.

Reviewed 4 July 2017

GF and I dined here with a friend and his daughter because they had been eager to try this place due to its reputation and food truck heritage. We were expecting killer BBQ, but came away a little puzzled. My friends got the big pulled pork/brisket/sausage sandwich, which they said they enjoyed but also that it was kind of bland and non-descript tasting. GF and I got platters that included brisket, ribs, smoked sausage, coleslaw, baked beans, and potato salad. The brisket was tender, but didn't seem to have much flavor. The sausage was quite good. The ribs were dry and tough, and I couldn't pick out much smoky flavor. The sides were actually very good, and were the highlight of the meal. GF and I both felt that the meal weighed on us heavily and uncomfortably later in the evening, but that seemed to be mostly the size and nature of the meal, and nothing at all related to food safety - absolutely not. The restaurant is clean as a whistle, the personnel are pleasant and helpful, and the portions are generous. I would definitely recommend giving this place a try, and hopefully you will find it more satisfying and appealing than we did. In that it is far away from where we live, I doubt we will go back, but I give them lots of credit for turning a food truck into a bricks and mortar place. I hope the best for them, but this wasn't a stellar visit for us.

Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

All the meats were moist and flavorful. The potato salad was a hit for 2 of us. The other sides weren't bad. I'll be back again. Those meats (all of them) were that good.

Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

I did take out and my mouth started watering as soon as I stepped inside and was enveloped by a sweet, smoky scent. I ordered the 4 meet combo and they let me swap out more brisket for the sausage as I don't like spicy. Also added ribs. There were 3 of us eating and I was originally afraid it wasn't enough so also ordered a sandwich. No need. With all the included sides it was way more than enough and provided leftovers. Best part. Whole dinner for 3 plus leftovers was 40 bucks. Plus it was very good barbecue. Brisket was by far my favorite.

Reviewed 14 May 2017

I was at the Cleveland Flea and decided to try their Oulled Beef sandwich with coleslaw. Very dry beef, not tasty at all and no coleslaw. They still charged me $9 for this horrible sandwich. They were running out of everything, definitely not prepared for crowds. Will never waste my money at this place again.

2  Thank David V