“Seasonal camping”

River Retreat Campground & Marina
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Clinton
River Retreat Campground & Marina
Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

Spent 3 summers there first 2 were ok. This last summer we were very upset as they rented out our spot to someone else without our consent when we pulled our camper out for our county fair. We were phoned by friends from the campground otherwise we would never have known. When I called the owners expecting an apology for forgetting to let us know that is not what happened. This would be similar to a landlord renting out your apartment because you left for the weekend. Not cool. Loved being on the river and close to Port Clinton but we are moving to a campground that is respectful to its campers.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank MommaGoneVaca

Reviewed 18 July 2015 via mobile

What a joke. Host only available by phone. Area run down. Nothing but a glorified trailer court in the back waters of Lake Erie No activities. Nothing but a mud field. Very disappointing. Over rated by others so they must be friends or family!

Stayed: July 2015
4  Thank Marilyn R
Reviewed 9 January 2013

My wife and I stayed for two years, but the second year was the worst. The bath rooms are nasty and at that time a single shower was a mess. We invited guests who said they where surprised I stayed there do to the dumpy look. My wife had to take cleaning supplies when she used the restrooms. I brought my mother out and she wanted to go home because the son was racing the engine real loud on his crash derby car. You couldn't miss it because it was parking in the area of junk that looked like Sandford and Son lived. She said it made her crazy listening to that on a Sat afternoon.
Then one night her sons friend hit a deer and brought it back to the camp office to clean it. I looked at one of there kiss butt campers who stays in the big front camper next to the office. I asked if he knew if they had called the police. He immediately told me to be quiet because you never say anything about there sons or i might be thrown out. So as time went on saw how their sons road on their 4wheelers 50 miles a hour. If some one else went to fast look out.
The problem with Janet is she thinks because they have there hay rides and their big cook outs she is entitled to talk to anyone anyway she wants. The fact is we are the customers. And when you don't have any customers you go out of business. She has a filthy mouth, and talks to people horrible. She is not a people person at all.
Plus when I bring out my 10 year old niece I really didn't like the long haired drunk guy that works the store selling ice cream. I don't know where Janet gets off talking about family, but I don't think having a drunk guy run the counter is a family atmosphere. Or maybe at her house it is.
We left in the winter but not after she got us for $200.00. I was gone by December. And storage was only 100.00. The thing is she nuts, and broke.
They are losing money so beware if you stay their and don't follow her rules. She won't give you 1 dollar back.
Also if the wind is wrong, or a dry season your boat will be sitting on the mud bottom.
I feel sorry for people who pay them their hard earned money and are excited to enjoy summer. It's the worst experience I have ever had. Everybody or its just Janet writing the good reviews says what a great rate. I would have paid double if I new what I was in for. Look out for their butt kissing buddies, because a few of them are drunks and like to just walk around and slur your ear off. Probably because their so drunk and don't remember where their camper is. Or also when Janet shows up and yells at you for letting her husband drink. I didn't know his sobriety was my responsibility. Well I could go on forever but won't. Hope this help you to stay clear.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Cat L
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I just thought that i'd stop in to answer a few of the lies being spread by a few campers who were booted out of the campground for their behavior.

1. The pictures shown in the traveler pictures are pretty misleading. The picture with the old tractor and equipment is NOT located near the main area or campers. It is located on the eastern edge of the property away from the campers. The photo with the car jacked up is in the garage area where the owner of the campground was doing work on the vehicle. Just so happened that the picture was taken while the work was being done on the vehicle.

2. Does there need to be work done to the campground? Yes their does need to be some work done. The showerhouse is nearing completion after some delays and the potholes that are spoken of will be taken care of as soon as the ground thaws from what i'm told.

3. What this campground IS on the other hand is a family owned campground. It is a place where you can take your kids and not have to worry about them playing. It is the kind of place where everyone looks out for each other and is always willing to lend a hand. It's the kind of place where everyone knows your name and your kids names and keeps an eye out for your kids while they play. River Retreat may not be perfect but it's a damn nice place to be and it sucks to see a few booted campers with a grudge try to run the place into the ground.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank Localguy04
Reviewed 24 October 2011

All of the reviews on this site are right on. It is a small family run campground, and it shows. The permanent campers are just like a family and are friendly and inviting. The campground itself is a bit run down and need of some serious upgrades, or just finishing projects. It is a great location close to everything and does have the best rates. The problems is that once or twice a year a couple "bombs" go off and a bunch of the seasonal campers pull out. It happens consistently, year after year. So, one has to wonder why there is so much turn over and ask yourself what is the constant factor - ownership.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family