“Summer camping”

River Retreat Campground & Marina
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Clinton
River Retreat Campground & Marina
Reviewed 16 October 2016

We camped here for 2 years. There are broken down arms everywhere and potholes in all of the roads. The owners are crazy. We bought wood and it was taken back when we left for the weekend. They tried to put someone in our camping spot when we pulled out for the week. All of the reviews on this campground are accurate.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Michele A

Reviewed 15 October 2016 via mobile

Well, we had a good first year until the end when there was a miscommunication on what immediate family was. I thought parents was immediate family but apparently not. So we owed for that. But they couldn't tell me how much I owed. So I figured it out and paid an extra $10 just to make it right. Well we came back and the fire wood we bought was gone. They took it back. But I just ignored it to not cause problems. Then had a good second year, and for whatever reason they kicked us out. Why? I don't know. No explanation. We did pull our camper for fair and they wanted to put someone else in our spot and I said no. Maybe that's why. Then our friends who also pulled for fair, they just put someone in there spot without asking. Our cousins also got kicked out with out reason. No skin off my back though I wasn't coming back to the crap hole anyway. It's very trashy looking. If you camp here good luck. We are going to a much nicer place.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Joshua R
Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

Spent 3 summers there first 2 were ok. This last summer we were very upset as they rented out our spot to someone else without our consent when we pulled our camper out for our county fair. We were phoned by friends from the campground otherwise we would never have known. When I called the owners expecting an apology for forgetting to let us know that is not what happened. This would be similar to a landlord renting out your apartment because you left for the weekend. Not cool. Loved being on the river and close to Port Clinton but we are moving to a campground that is respectful to its campers.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank MommaGoneVaca
Reviewed 18 July 2015 via mobile

What a joke. Host only available by phone. Area run down. Nothing but a glorified trailer court in the back waters of Lake Erie No activities. Nothing but a mud field. Very disappointing. Over rated by others so they must be friends or family!

Stayed: July 2015
4  Thank Marilyn R
Reviewed 9 January 2013

My wife and I stayed for two years, but the second year was the worst. The bath rooms are nasty and at that time a single shower was a mess. We invited guests who said they where surprised I stayed there do to the dumpy look. My wife had to take cleaning supplies when she used the restrooms. I brought my mother out and she wanted to go home because the son was racing the engine real loud on his crash derby car. You couldn't miss it because it was parking in the area of junk that looked like Sandford and Son lived. She said it made her crazy listening to that on a Sat afternoon.
Then one night her sons friend hit a deer and brought it back to the camp office to clean it. I looked at one of there kiss butt campers who stays in the big front camper next to the office. I asked if he knew if they had called the police. He immediately told me to be quiet because you never say anything about there sons or i might be thrown out. So as time went on saw how their sons road on their 4wheelers 50 miles a hour. If some one else went to fast look out.
The problem with Janet is she thinks because they have there hay rides and their big cook outs she is entitled to talk to anyone anyway she wants. The fact is we are the customers. And when you don't have any customers you go out of business. She has a filthy mouth, and talks to people horrible. She is not a people person at all.
Plus when I bring out my 10 year old niece I really didn't like the long haired drunk guy that works the store selling ice cream. I don't know where Janet gets off talking about family, but I don't think having a drunk guy run the counter is a family atmosphere. Or maybe at her house it is.
We left in the winter but not after she got us for $200.00. I was gone by December. And storage was only 100.00. The thing is she nuts, and broke.
They are losing money so beware if you stay their and don't follow her rules. She won't give you 1 dollar back.
Also if the wind is wrong, or a dry season your boat will be sitting on the mud bottom.
I feel sorry for people who pay them their hard earned money and are excited to enjoy summer. It's the worst experience I have ever had. Everybody or its just Janet writing the good reviews says what a great rate. I would have paid double if I new what I was in for. Look out for their butt kissing buddies, because a few of them are drunks and like to just walk around and slur your ear off. Probably because their so drunk and don't remember where their camper is. Or also when Janet shows up and yells at you for letting her husband drink. I didn't know his sobriety was my responsibility. Well I could go on forever but won't. Hope this help you to stay clear.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family