“Best Spaghetti ”

Phil's Inn Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 77 Restaurants in Port Clinton
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 14 June 2017 via mobile

We have enjoyed eating at Phil's Inn Resturant for over 47 years. We stop in at least once on every trip to Lake Erie. The portons are generous. But if you don't like spaghetti there is plenty on the menu to choose from. The prices are moderate. Dress is casual, which is nice since it's next to the water and a lot of people stop in after being out on a boat.

Reviewed 6 June 2017

I have been eating at Phil's Inn for 45 years. The spaghetti sauce is close to what I make and my family likes it. We have always had the spaghetti and or ravioli. The ravioli is homemade (some of our friends didn't like it). The meatballs are excellent. The Italian and celery seed dressings are homemade too and are very good. Beware they are not skimpy on the sauce either. The meals are served with bread and butter.The food is served on glass plates and regular silverware.
Now for the bad news, which breaks my heart to tell you. The restaurant is really run down from its prime that I knew. The outside is rundown and the side entrance looks like a storage area for old equipment. The patio is not usable. Nothing has changed inside. We used to wait an hour for a seat now just about walk in and set down. The men's room is gross. That's all on that issue. The carpet is dirty and sticky (probably 30 years old) along with the salt, pepper and cheese shakers on the tables. The brass railing has not been polished in a long time. . They do offer carry out. They must be under staffed. Service is awful but they do try. The one tall server has waited on us many times but I witnessed him being rude to customers and he is always complaining. The staff takes up several tables to roll silverware and stack menus. It is also very expensive. They do offer pizza and perch meals along with steaks and sandwiches and a bar, which we have never tried. If we didn't like the sauce so much we would not come back.

2  Thank fishjcc
Reviewed 28 May 2017

I am a senior citizen 67 years young and my family has been visiting Phyls Inn since I was 10 back in 1960, or earlier possibly. In 1970 we started taking our children who are now grown and in their 40's! So we know how good this Italian food really is! Lasagna, Ravioli, Spaghetti, and Pizza! Stop in and enjoy! Its tasty stuff !

Reviewed 17 May 2017

I have been coming to this place since I was in high school. Yes, the sauce is different, but that's Phil's sauce. I LOVE coming here for the oldish atmosphere and the good food. The servers are very friendly.

Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

In the Port Clinton area to take in the lake on Mother's Day and though we'd give Phils Inn a try.

The decor was old looking and couldn't help to notice the ripped seats in several of the booths we passed on the way to our table.

At the recommendation of our waitress I ordered the spaghetti and ravioli combination and my wife went simple with the BLT sandwich.

I was excited to try the ravioli especially since it was filled with pork. So when the plate came, I started there. The first thing I noticed was the color of the sauce. Dark with an almost brown tint. Was expecting a bright red sauce with a fragrant smell. The best word I could use for the smell of this sauce would be "old".

Turns out that's what it tasted like was old, with a burnt, kind of earthy taste with a hint of oregano. The raviolis were big enough but I noticed right a way they were hard on the surface and shaped kind of odd, more like a meatball. I cut into it and it cut more like meat than a fresh pasta. It also tasted old and not very tasty for being filled with pork. Frozen?

The spaghetti was chewy and not close to tender. If you've ever had reheated leftover spaghetti you know what I'm talking about. At that point, I decided not to eat it.

My wife's BLT was ok. Two pieces of baccon. Meeeh.

When our waitress asked how everything was at the end of the meal, I shared our disappointed and asked if the ravioli were frozen. She said they're made fresh on site and frozen. She told the manager at the bar, Pam about our experience. Our waitress returned and said if we want to go to the bar and talk to Pam about our experience , we could. Since we just told our waitress, I thought if Pam was concerned she might have come to our table and asked. So that was strange to us. Usually the manager comes to you at the table.

Finally my wife used the restroom during our visit and commented on the awful smell in the ladies room and that the door didn't shut properly.

Obviously disappointed with our visit. Felt bad because we chose to eat here for Mother's day.