“OK if no other htel is available”
Review of AmeriStay Hotel

AmeriStay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 28 June 2017

I reserved a King smoking room approx. 2 weeks before my arrival. When I arrived the front desk staff was friendly and helpful but was told they only had Double smoking available and blamed the mix-up on the computer system. They did contact the manager and I was offered a non-smoking King room but I needed to walk around to the back of the hotel to get to it. I took the double smoking room as no other hotels were available and after 10 hours of driving I was tired.

The room was ok. It was clean but the beds need to be replaced. Air conditioning did not get the room cool enough to be comfortable.

Stayed: May 2017

Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

At first glance I thought the room looked decent, especially for the price, but seeing that we had a tv screen was maybe 19" tops and from the 1980's there was pretty much no tv to watch. The bathrooms were clean and functional but definitely had all cracked and peeling dry wall and the shower wouldn't stay one consistent temperature, although it did have awesome water pressure. The front desk lady was kind and sincere but when she described the continental breakfast the night before I would have thought it was going to be outstanding. Unfortunately the breakfast bar was honey buns, off brand donut packs, make your own oatmeal, bagels and frozen food. There were two refrigerators; one with cartons of lunch box sized 2% milk, and another with gritty frozen waffles, pancake sticks with sausage, frozen breakfast sandwhiches and breakfast burritos. They do not refill the breakfast bar at all so when one couple came in and ate the entire frozen meal fridge and all of the donuts, our first morning was greeted by half thawed, soggy bagels and cold cereal. To make matters worse, we bought a box of brownies and left them on our nightstand, then we come back that night after an exhausting day to find the maid took our brownies and some of our drinks were missing from the fridge!!! I reported it to the front desk this morning and they said they'd notify the manager. Overall this place isn't terrible but if we stayed again I know to eat breakfast no later than 7:30 and not to leave anything in the room I wouldn't mind losing!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2016

There were 4 of us in our group. We booked at this Hotel last year and again this year, but we are done. The rooms were clean enough. The issue is that we booked the rooms at $55.00 a night a year in advance, after we arrived on 10/14/16, they charged us $55.00 a night per person. This doubled during check-in. So we paid $440.00 for 2 nights. We are moving to another place down the street next year. This hotel is not worth $110.00 for 2 nights times the 4of us. Major ripoff. We also requested the rooms be beside each other, and when we arrived we found out they couldn't do that. We received rooms 137 and 257. And to top it off, we received no "breakfast" on Saturday the 15th. Not sure why. It was available only on Sunday.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be equal, the old pool is filled in with dirt & grass
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2015

We booked a room at this hotel over a year in advance for a cycling event. Our booking price was less than $60 with tax. However, when we checked in, the amount charged to us was more than double ($139.06) what we booked at. We would have never booked this place for that price. The overcharge was bad enough but there were no bath towels in the room, the ice machine has been removed (by the Fire Marshall according to the desk clerk) and there was no wi-if in our room. I contacted the owner about these issues and he never responded. Don't waste your money on this place. Stay at the Super 8 or Comfort Inn which are located very close.

Room Tip: Be prepared to pay whatever they decide to charge no matter what you book at.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin G
Reviewed 6 April 2015

I stay here occasionally due to thats were my work puts us. It is an "old" but clean place. Location is close to all the local stuff. The staff is always very nice! Forget their claim of free internet/wifi. It barely works if you're in the 1st two rooms closest to the lobby. 3 rooms or further away & forget using the "free internet". The free breakfast is good "considering" hotel price & type of hotel. Most of its business is from railroaders & some construction workers. Like I said clean but "old". For a few dollars more & you can stay somewhere much nicer. Especially if you'll check prices online. Like I said, clean but "old".

Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
1.4 km away
21.5 km away
Franklin Furnace Inn & RV Park
Franklin Furnace Inn & RV Park
#2 of 2 in Franklin Furnace

Been to AmeriStay Hotel? Share your experiences!