All reviewsplace to staylodge roomsgolf cartsized refrigeratorplanning another tripcleanest placethe location is perfectnext yearstayed this past weekendthe main dragclose to downtownannual tripquiet at nightlindadennypropertyhh
Reviewed 29 June 2012

This was my first visit to PIB and Harriet's House and I will NEVER stay here again. Take heed of all the warnings by previous reviews of the owners watching your every move. The people who were staying in the condo directly next door to ours were not even allowed on our porch! Denny (the owner) literally stood on the sidewalk with his arms crossed to make sure only the people on the original list of those who were staying there were allowed in the house. Linda even asked for ID of one of the members of our group to be allowed into the house. We did not receive any new towels for the second day, and be prepared to clean the entire house before you leave - included stripping all of the bedding and taking out the trash. What did I just pay for again? Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jane D
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I arrived to the island from Arizona and spent a few days this past week at Harriet's House and had a great time. I have traveled the world as an airline pilot and along with our planned family vacations I have experienced the extremes in accommodations. I would rank the Harriet's House in the upper tier for what they offer, and along with the modest pricing for their units makes them a sought after refuge for the island . The rooms are clean, well maintained and very appropriate for a visit to the island. Denny and Linda are wonderful accommodating hosts, extremely friendly and were available for my questions and needs. Denny and Linda live on the grounds at Harriet's House during the busy summer months and I found that while they attended to everyday business duties they still took the time to engage in conversation if I was in the area. I don't envy them in this ruthless business of attempting to please everyone's needs and desires while hosting and attending to a vast array of personality types that frequent the island. There is an 11p.m. quiet time on the grounds at Harriet's House. I mention this because I am grateful for the fact that Denny will do his best in his attempt in keeping the noise of party people to a minimum, while respecting the rights of his many other guests who are looking for some quiet time at that time of night. I plan on returning to Harriet's House as it is a great place to stay offering not only great rooms, but peace of mind knowing that the owners truly care about all their guests. Thanks for the memories.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank skypapa
Reviewed 21 June 2012

What the owners of this place do not realize is that they are tarnishing and ruining memories people are trying to make with their families, their last moments and memories with their elders. I put much effort into a vacation to include my 78 year old grandma and my disabled mother as well as my children and sister. As you read in other reviews about the parking, lighting, owners watching you 24/7 is TRUE! and rude and disrespectful. I want to know who taught them the meaning of hospitality because I came from the industry and I would NEVER treat a guest or any other human the way they treated us. I only kept my cool so my grandma wouldn't have to sleep in the woods because the rest of us were PREPARED and probably preferred sleeping in the woods over being within sight of them, any of them. Even the maintenance guy's eye took over when the owners were tired from watching. PLEASE Linda and Denny go to a class for hospitality because you will find your guests much happier in the end. And if you even care about their stay, you will at least stop ruining memories that cannot be regained. I scold you for this, you stole this from me and for that you will pay on your own because there is a God! Good Luck, your going to need it when your on the look for your own memories. I'm betting you have had a few bad vacations on your pay from Karma. Good day and good riddens. Shoot, I probably won't ever step foot back on that island just because the thought of seeing them gives me heeby jeebies. That Bad! We couldn't even get away from them for dinner, they showed up at the restaurant.. Too small of an island when your dealing with these people. They very much disappointed me as humans period.
A few more things... There is only one TV in the house, downstairs so there is no relaxing or taking a break because there is not enough room in the living room for everyone. They also decided to replace a mattress and boxspring in the middle of our stay, "probably just to watch closer" pathetic hosts... And to top it off.. I asked for a pillow case, the guy was very nice and said I'll get it right away. Well I turn around and go back in the house and he's already in the freakin kitchen diggin out a pillow case from a locked closet. I about crapted myself.. All he said was "oh sorry, I just thought I would get it real quick" what the!!!!! GET OUT!! Freaking weird is all I can say.. Well, guess we will never forget that trip!

Room Tip: Choose the hotel down the street that has the pool you have to walk to from Harriett's if you want to swim. I'm sure every else would be an upgrade.
4  Thank Sarah I
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I was also there with my family for a week of vacation. My Mother is 78 years old and we wanted a week to relax with her. Not possible with the warden next door. Not only did I eventually feel like we ALWAYS had eyes upon us. The main house has 2 doors which lock from the other side. Only the other side. The owners maintenance man lives in the 2 rooms behind those doors and they lock only from his side. Not at all cool. Walk in and there stands a man in your kitchen? really? The other door is in the half bath... really? his bathroom is on the other side of that door. Whats to stop him from watching you there?? I began to wonder if they had the place wired to spy on people.

Not only was the building questionable at best... there is no stove...so be prepared. Not a place for a family at all. They informed me that I was not to pull in and out of their driveway. Once I parked, I had to leave my car sit where it was or load it from several hundred yards away where I was told to park, down the street behind a motel. Really? I had my mom who had a stroke not too long ago and cannot walk easily or far. I have had 5 surgeries on my right foot and have a bone graft and am not to stress it... I was packed to the roof, coolers, luggage,food,...I was told to drag it down the street to load.... Whatever.. I never blocked their precious driveway and left my vehicle. But they have friends who do block the drive whenever they take the notion. So...the game is that you have to pay an extra 45 - 60 dollars a day to rent their golf carts.

I was spoken down to more that once by the "friendly" Denny. I am 58 years old and far from an idiot. If this is one of the best places to stay on the island, then I will stay onshore...

We spent a small fortune and left feeling like we had been literally guarded the entire time. I would have left days before had I the funds to stay elsewhere.. For my money, the time would have been more enjoyable if we had taken the tent and went to the campground. At least there would have been something pleasant to look at.

So - Put-In-Bay was not the vacation we had hoped for. But because of where we stayed, not the island itself.

Room Tip: If you have no choice,then maybe you could stay in the new building and not the original house. But I would just stay home before I would deal with them again..
4  Thank Anita B
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This place is in a good loaction. With this being said. We stayed in the older house. We all felt like we were being watched 24/7. It almost seemed like they had camaras. Mind you we were all Adults and even my 89 Year old grandma felt she was being watched. There is very min parking on the island which we understood so we brought one car over for grams so she didnt have to walk as she is not in that good of health. We were told we could park there. But 2 days in Linda tells us we are allowed to park but we are not allowed to pull in and out of the driveway. the car needed to stay parked till we leave. Well that was not possible with an older lady. and we were unable to afford the golf carts $70 a day. We were not told that in advance.. BUT Lindas friend comes to walk with her everyday and blocks the driveway for an hour or two.
Overall this was not a pleasent place to stay. NO privacy at all... There are two doors in the house one in the bathroom and one in the hall right before you go upstairs. These are locked from the outside.. There was no way to lock them from th inside. You can hear people back there everyday. I was always afraid someone might open the door as i use the restroom. There were a few other things that really bothered me why we were there but i wont go in to all of it. . I WOULD NOT RECOMMAND THIS PLACE TO STAY AT. Look around the corner and im sure denny will be sitting there listening to you.. I honeslty think they are protective over this house since they once lived in it.. Their Daughter and her sons were very nice though. Also they said the house was haunted.. The lights were flickering in one of the bedrooms. We all went up there to check it out and the light bulb was hanging. The fixture was very hot , and it accually sparked on to the bed. Luckly we caught it and turned the electric off to that light before it caught fire. They did replace the bulb but did not fix the problem. We had to move a lamp in there to see after dark as the light not longer worked.

3  Thank Becky I