“Great pasta!!!”

Baci Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Baci Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 194 Restaurants in Sandusky
Price range: US$14 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Junction US250 & RT2
Description: Baci Restaurant & Bar is an Italian fine dining restaurant and nightclub located in the heart Lake Erie Shores & Islands of Sandusky, Ohio. Born & raised in Italy, Carmelo Ruta, Executive Chef, in the kitchen, Baci Restaurant & Bar combines the best of old and new world thinking, to create a wonderful full-flavored and well-rounded menu.
Reviewed 29 October 2015

I eat here when I'm in town and want a nice meal. I sit at the bar and always get prompt service. The pasta is excellent and served hot with bread and oil, or a salad for an extra couple bucks. I haven't ordered any drinks here but they always seem to have Stella and Peroni on tap. Enjoy!

ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Baci Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2016

It's great to hear that you're a return guest of ours--no better testimonial than that! We hope you continue to come back and enjoy all that we have to offer many more times in the future!

Reviewed 17 October 2015

Baci's decor is a bit gaudy (very Las Vegas-like), but the way the seating is structured allows for a bit of privacy for many of the tables. When you enter, there are no clues to tell you where to go (no host stand and several entrance doors scattered around the restaurant). No one (including the bartender, who was in plain view of us standing there looking awkward) greeted us or directed us to a table. Finally, I remained where we were and my husband intercepted a server en route to her table. Once we were seated, things got better (although I saw two other couples enter and eventually leave because there was no host/hostess). The food was very good and, considering the four-course format, priced within reason. Do not go if you are in a hurry though; we witnessed one couple that was very upset with the amount of time their meals took. My husband had the rack of lamb, which was presented nicely. I order the filet and the flavor was good. The menu actually describes it as being cooked medium-rare, which I thought was interesting. Since I would have ordered it that way anyhow, no problem. However, it actually was cooked somewhere between medium and medium-well...a bit overdone for me (and kind of funny since they state it on the menu). They had a great selection of martinis...I had my eye on one particular martini for dessert, but when the time came I was too full (and we had been there so long) to order it. Our bill (with tip) was a bit over $100. Overall, it was good enough that we will try Baci again, keeping in mind to allow plenty of time and money.

Yes, as you clearly indicate, dining with us at Baci is an EXPERIENCE--one that takes time to fully appreciate and digest (pardon the pun)! We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience and, thank you, for bringing the entrance confusion to our attention. We will look into improving and attending to the immediate perception of our guests in the future. It's great to hear that you plan to return in the future!

Reviewed 12 October 2015

As a big review reader, I was absolutely shocked at how terrible this restaurant was in light of so many great reviews. It was bad from the moment we stepped in the door. Despite that there were only about 3 other tables, no one even acknowledged us. After 17 minutes of sitting (with 2 hungry kids and 2 very thirsty adults), I went to the bar to order drinks. The bartender took my order -- one glass of wine (I asked for the house Chianti) and one Budweiser. About 10 minutes later, she brought one very awful glass of old wine and one Bud Light to the table. I took the Bud Light back to the bar for an exchange and she said she'd bring out the right beer. Never did. Had to go to bar again about another 10 minutes later.

Finally, our poor excuse for a server (she was very nice, but she was terrible) showed up at the table. No apology for ignoring us for nearly 1/2 hour. I asked her to take back my wine and pour from a fresh bottle or suggest a different kind. She asked me what kind I had and I told her I ordered the house Chianti. She insisted that they didn't carry such a brand, and I gave up trying to explain what a "house" wine was.

Then the really weird stuff began. We ordered a calamari appetizer and four entrees. Instead, we were brought a series of four courses of food that we didn't order, as "compliments of the chef." The dishes kept coming. We literally received four completely unwanted appetizers -- soup, an extensive antipasto plate, entire bowls of pasta, and breads and crackers with dips. Never received the calamari, though.

By the time the expensive entrees came, we were stuffed and couldn't eat another bite. I tried valiantly to eat one of my six sea scallops. I bit into so much sand my teeth got filed down. I tried another one--same thing. I've eaten scallops all over the world and while I've occasionally gotten a sandy one, this was a beach on a plate.

I informed the server, and she simply acted in disbelief that their scallops could possibly be sandy. She said they just changed scallop providers. Never once offered to discount the meal or take the uneaten dish off the bill. I was charged full price.

Two hours later, we were finally free to go from this awful place. Bummer for those of us who had palatable meals that we could not eat, we were staying at a hotel without a refrigerator. So everything was wasted, including our money.

People -- don't serve your guests a bunch of food they didn't order! While they were trying to be nice and hospitable, it ruined the meal completely. (I can't see how that would be a good business decision, either, to give away so much free food.) And the service was as bottom shelf as I've ever seen.

Good luck if you try it.

3  Thank sajara

We're truly sorry that you weren't able to enjoy the kind of experience that 99% of all of our other reviewers rate as outstanding and some of the best food and service they've ever enjoyed. Clearly, your experience was not in line with what we've come to expect and we hope you'll treat this as an isolated incident and give us another opportunity in the future to prove this to you.

Reviewed 10 October 2015 via mobile

The food at the Baci was excellent the cook get a great job Mr Carl Ruta and John Esposito a great cooks how do you recommend the restaurant to all visitors

Thank you for the very kind comments. We're glad you enjoyed your experience with us and look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 October 2015

The food here, for the most part, was very good to excellent, but the service was so extraordinarily poor that it more than canceled out the positive culinary experience. Also, the first entree choice for 5 of our group was 7 was unavailable. The decor is a bit gaudy, but if the service had been at least passable I would not have minded. The staff did try to make amends in various ways, (which prevented me from rating it "one star"), but it was too little, too late.

1  Thank HooferNewYork

We're very sorry to hear that your experience was not on par with the the overwhelmingly positive majority we've heard in the past. We apologize for this experience and hope that you'll give us another try in the future.

Been to Baci Restaurant & Bar? Share your experiences!