Maples Motel
Comfort Inn Sandusky(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$124
US$111
US$70
La Quinta Inn Sandusky - Cedar Point(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
US$89
Travelocity
US$140
US$170
Groupon.com
Cedar Point's Express Hotel(Sandusky)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsdonuts and coffeecedar pointthe owner's sonmom and poptrains runtube tvkids loved the pooljoanearplugsgablespark
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 August 2015

My husband and I stayed here for a night to go to Cedar Point the next morning. This motel is old school. I loved the sign. I think it could an update without losing that feeling. Steve, the owner, is friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast is at 7am and I mean 7am. It is just coffee and donuts and that's only if you get to it before people let their children eat it all up. Maybe if donuts are set out at different times they would be enough for everyone. I thought there was a microwave so I made some oatmeal for breakfast. When I noticed there wasn't Steve offered to cook it in his personal microwave and insisted I put some milk in it. There was a television, refrigerator, and window air conditioner in the room. The room was much smaller than expected but fine for an overnight stay. But do not expect to get the best night sleep. There are train tracks across the street and trains go by like every hour.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2015

I read reviews and thought this would be a nice retro motel to try on our road trip. The people who said this was a great place were definitely wrong. I was not expecting a Hilton or even a Super 8 so my expectations weren't high. The owner was nice and service was good but the hotel itself is in terrible condition. The room was as clean as they could probably get it, but that's not saying much. It was in total disrepair. I would not recommend this motel to anyone.

3  Thank Andrea W
Reviewed 16 August 2015

I don't usually stay in motels and have experienced some pretty high-end places, but I think I had a realistic expectation of the Maples Motel; just wanted a comfortable and clean place to crash after Cedar Point that was close. We were highly disappointed. We arrived shortly after check-in time, but our room was not ready; no worries, we can just change in their public restroom and hit the pool. The pool was pretty buggy but I skimmed it to a reasonable state. I thought it was a heated pool, but it certainly wasn't, after a while my daughter's cheeks were purple. Finally our room was ready and it was disappointing. It was damp and musty with a loud window air conditioner and pretty dirty (hair in the bathtub, bugs in the bathroom, filthy feet when walking barefoot on the carpet). We had two beds and the one my daughter chose was absolutely horrid, it significantly sank in the middle, and I mean a LOT! Thank goodness she chose that bed and doesn't weigh enough to have made it too uncomfortable, my bed was much better though not great. Free doughnuts are limited, you better get to the office early if you want one. Oh, and you better be a sound sleeper, there are very active train tracks right across the street from the motel and an intersection as well, lots of loud whistles at all times of day and night (my daughter counted 12 in about a 6-hour span). They do have wifi but it was very spotty, literally if I put my tablet in my lap I lost my connection, kept having to hold it up at shoulder level. Very disappointed, especially after reading so many good reviews on TripAdvisor. Not clean, not comfortable and frankly I felt grossed out the entire time we spent in the room and could not wait to leave. The only positive I have is the location, really close to the back entrance to Cedar Point, we breezed right in.

Reviewed 8 August 2015

My son and I stayed at the Maples as it is very close to Cedar Point (definitely a great coaster amusement park). I loved the notion that this motel was reviewed as a retro kind of family place to stay in Sandusky. The reviews weren't wrong! From the moment you park your car, check in and then check out the room, you almost get a sense of a time warp. This motel was last decorated in about 1969 and it is in immaculate shape, as if time has stood still at the Maples. Truly a cool experience if you are middle aged and remember your own family trips taken in the 60's and 70's. The pool is extremely well kept and the grounds are simply "charming" including the motel sign and very cool metal table umbrellas just outside the pool. Steve is a wonderful host and he made sure all guests felt welcome. If you want to enjoy a wonderful motel stay "Mad Men" style..this is your motel. Thanks Steve!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, bring or ask for ear plugs,,the train is close. Bring shampoo and lotions; soap is provided.
3  Thank Ellen O
Reviewed 7 August 2015 via mobile

Enen with leaving the park early we were running close to the 10:00 check in time.
Calling ahead I told the answering machine we were on our way and should arrive before check-in time.
I also told the machine we were 4 people for 2 beds instead of 2 people for 2 beds. I mean 2 beds are 2 beds right ?
Upon arriving with time to spare I was informed there was only one room left and it was 1 bed and 1 rollaway. WHAT???
"That doesn't work" I said, "all I have" he said. BUT he would call another hotel close by to see if they had a room.
Waving our reservation in the air was not going to accomplish anything.
He made the call ( a moment of complete sarcasm here) What great customer service.
Off we went to the Knights Inn and happy to do so.
At the Maples a reservation is not worth the paper it was printed on.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family