“Great Food”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 November 2017

We were staying at The Moon Inn for a few days during half term to do some walking in the hills - there's not many of them in Essex! Although The Moon's food was very good, having seen so many good reviews for the Curry Cottage we felt we had to try it for ourselves. And we weren't disappointed. We picked up a couple of Kingfishers from the Spar at Calver (the restaurant is BYOB with no corkage) and walked to the Curry Cottage on the Wednesday evening. We hadn't booked but getting a table at 7:30 was not a problem. What followed was one of the best curry meals we've had for a long time. We live close to what we regard is the best curry house in England, and the Curry Cottage gives it a run for its money! Unfortunately there was no Handi of the Day (or Staff Special as it's often called) so I plumped for the Garlic Chilli Chicken - a favourite of mine that has dropped off many menus in our area. It was excellent - hot without the chillies being too overpowering. The wife had had Tinda Gosht - it too was superbly flavoured and cooked. Sides were flavoursome and well presented without too much oil. And excellent portion sizes. You must give it a look if you are in the area - we're planning a return visit, but it won't be until next October unfortunately.

2  Thank LardLad

Reviewed 29 October 2017

I booked the table about 10 days before we went. I explained that it was my son's 18th birthday and asked if it was OK for me to bring a cake. I was told that the cake was no problem and booked for 10 people saying I would confirm the number the day before. The day before we went confirmed there would be 15 of us.
When we arrived we were shown to a long table with birthday balloons on it and a banner saying 'Happy Birthday'....I was really surprised and delighted as I had no idea they would do that. Handed over the cake and also all the alcoholic drinks we had brought.
We had a fantastic evening and the food was amazing with excellent service. As we had finished eating I went to the bar to organise the bringing out of the cake and to hand over some candles. I was total to sit down and relax as it was all under control and the candles were not required! Five minutes later the cake appeared with two large firework candles in the top...it looked amazing! the staff came to join in the singing and even had happy birthday playing on an iPad.
The service and attention to detail without any input from me was way above what I expected. And for 15 people a very reasonable bill. Thank you so much for making such a wonderful evening for my son and all the family.

1  Thank 63Veronica
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Decided to stay in and get the delivery service. Food was good but delivery was very poor. We expected a wait - but not 1.45 hours. Rang to chase and they clearly hadn't even cooked it!
Food decent quality but can't recommend service!

3  Thank Woodies13
Reviewed 27 October 2017

Situated in Stoney Middleton in the Peak District you might not expect to find a decent Indian restaurant after all it is a relatively small village but be assured this is a very good restaurant. In the heart of the Peak District it is popular with visitors but it was clear the "locals" were regular users of the takeaway service. I ate in and it was clean, airy, having crisp table cloths, clean glasses and cutlery with decent chairs and cushioned benches. Its appearance pushed all the right buttons but the clincher was the menu; packed with many standard "Indian" dishes it also included some dishes that were new to me. Check out the Specials and the House and Chef Specials.

You cannot taste the whole menu on one visit but I did hear other customers making favourable comments about their food amongst themselves as well as with the staff. My Stoney Mixed Starter Platter, followed by a Chef's Special and Naan were excellent. The current owners have been there two years so ignore the "terrible" reviews as I think they predate the new owners. Service was attentive and food was delivered in a timely way, however, the place was relatively quiet in comparison with peak times.

In summation if you are looking for an Indian meal in a small Peak District village try the Curry Cottage, if you are in any of the larger nearby towns do not be afraid to travel out and visit Curry Cottage, Stoney Middleton it will not be a wasted journey and you will be pleasantly surprised. Will I visit again? As Simon Cowell etc say "It is a definite yes from me".

When writing the review Trip,Advisor would not let me Click on ratings:-
Service 5
Food 5
Value 4

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

We order a takeaway. It was promptly delivered and reasonably priced.

We very much recommend Curry Cottage to you.

Don't often give five stars but well deserved in this case.

1  Thank David B