“Better than buffets”

Ranked #29 of 130 Restaurants in Willoughby
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 24 September 2016

Food is subjective

I've been coming here for decades & do enjoy their food. I usually judge a Chinese restaurant by their fried rice & Hong To's is one of the better ones around. It has changed over the years (less carrots, egg & peas), but not to the point where I won't order it.

If you dine in, the food comes in a covered serving tray, which makes it easy for the table to sample. Their sauces don't taste canned & are stick-to-the-meat thick. The menu is plentiful, a little more than standard Chinese restaurant dishes. If you have multiple tastes, the family dinner may be the way to go. Most of the time, there is leftovers to take home. Specials are offered daily & at specific times.

My favourites are the Beef with Snow Peapods, Szechwan or Teriyaki Beef appetizers. I have a difficult time finding good peapod dishes (sauce is too soupy or worse, not brown) & tend to go back to them every time. But I haven't had a bad dish from them & when friends come to that side of town we will go there.

Reviewed 8 September 2014

I have been frequenting Hong To, since before they moved across the street. MANY years
Saturday night, we ordered, a Rib combo, Wanton Soup, Crab rangoon, and Pork with Chinese vegetables. The soup was very yellow, but not too bad. The fried rice was so salty, it could not be eaten. the ribs were very fatty, and only 1 was able to be eaten. I called them on the phone as I live about 20 minutes away to explain my situation. A new cook I thought, or a problem in the kitchen. The lady on the phone, placed me on hold a couple of times, and asked if I wanted a free meal next time. I told her, that this meal could not be eaten. She said if I brought it back, she would credit my card. So I drove back. I was informed that the cook is not new and that nothing has changed. For $28 I could have eaten anywhere. My opinion, nothing is as it used to be and I will not be recommending this venue again.

3  Thank mrmarc295
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We use to go to Hong To when it was across the road in the WilloPlaza shopping center. It was always our favorite place for Chinese food. We have been to the new location a few times. For a few years, we have gone to the Chinese buffets, however, I have never felt it had the quality of the food at Hong To. We returned last night and were pleased with our trip. My husband had Governor's Chicken, made with extra spice. I had the Sweet and Sour Pork with fried rice. The food was great, as was the servive. The young lady who waited on us was so friendly. We will be returning again. I want to try the Shrimp in Lobster sauce.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Hong to has been around in Willoughby for a long time. It is good when you have a hankering for some fried rice and egg roll.

It is pretty average.

1  Thank Greg P
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My dad and i went there for lunch today and as usual it was amazing , awesome priced lunch menu and you get a lot of food too! Best egg rolls around!