“Awful experience”

Jay Jay's Roadhouse
Ranked #302 of 441 Restaurants in Youngstown
Cuisines: Mexican, Steakhouse
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

First off we were seated in an area I believe to be intended for families which was perfectly fine. We were the only ones in that section for a short time then the waitress seated another family in the booth directly behind us. There were at least 6 other seating areas available in this area why would she seat people on top of one another? The waitress was uneducated about the happy hour specials and menu in general. Salads came with mine and my husband's meals. It was bagged lettuce which was at least half brown and wilted. Finally our meals came. My husband ordered enchiladas and beans. He enjoyed his enchilada but the beans were not good. My 5 year old son ordered a hot dog and fries. The hot dog had burn marks on it. Not like the ones from a clean grill grate but from a dirty grill. It wasn't even warm. My son that LOVES hot dogs refused to eat it. We tried a bit and agreed with him and told him he didnt have to eat. I ordered seafood nachos and beans. Again the beans were not to my liking. The shrimp on the nachos were rubbery. My husband and I both ate one and he said 'don't eat anymore or you'll probably get sick'. So I didn't. The waitress came back and asked if we wanted boxes. I told her no and also stated that we weren't happy with our dinners since mine and my sons plates were practically untouched. She never offered to do anything about it or even speak to her manager. We decided to just pay the bill and leave. In doing so the owner/manager (?). Asked if we liked our meals. My husband told him that he liked his but explained about mine. He ALSO DID NOT OFFER TO REMEDY THE SITUATION. After being home only a short time I ended up getting sick and spent the rest of the evening and half the night in the bathroom. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. Where is John Taffer when you need him. And PS their bathroom was foul.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Formerly Don Victor's, this Mexican restaurant gone steakhouse has a huge menu with something for everyone. The service was good. Our waitress was attentive and busboys kept the table clear of empty plates. However, I was surprised at the prices. Especially the steak and add on shrimp pricing. I would have expected high prices in a tourist area or if the food was amazing, but this is neither.