“The Food Was Good but.....”

Strayhouse Espresso and Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Clinton
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Description: Strayhouse is a restaurant & coffee shop right off downtown Clinton, OK. We offer light breakfast of waffles and biscuits with gravy. We offer gourmet sandwiches, soups and salads for lunch. We will start offering our lunch menu for dinner on January 19th, 2017. Strayhouse also offers a full espresso and coffee bar, as well as hand curated beer and wine options.
Reviewed 3 July 2018

Stopped here for lunch on day 18 of our cross country journey. One "must do" for us is experiencing local cuisine....no national chains...so we were delighted in finding this restaurant and reading the wonderful reviews. We stopped here for lunch and walked in.... there was no one behind the counter, no directions as to what we should do (find a seat, order or wait to be seated) and no one eating at the restaurant offered any help so we stood there, awkwardly, until someone came from the back. She explained about their ordering process... we followed through and took our seats. Our food was served and it was good. What wasn't good was the rather distant atmosphere and all around uncomfortable feeling upon entering and throughout our visit. Also, while we were there someone came in with a large non service dog and sat at a table behind us (nothing stated that it was a "pet friendly" restaurant and one of our party has animal dander allergies). This is one of only a couple of restaurants on our journey that, while the food was good, I probably would not eat there again. A nice hello and a smile from the staff upon entering or even a chalkboard sign stating what to do (grab a menu in the basket.... order at the counter...) would really be an improvement.

1  Thank Angela B

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stopped here for breakfast after spending the night in Clinton. Along the drive on Route 66 good coffee hasn’t always been easy to find so we were relieved to find this gem. Good light fare for breakfast and really good coffee and lattes and a friendly staff. Highly recommended for anyone passing through.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

This coffee shop is located in a former lumber yard. It is decorated nicely. We went for lunch and shared the pimento turkey panini, which came with tomato soup. Because we were sharing, I think they upcharged us but put the sandwich on two plates and gave us our own sides and extra pickle, which was nice. Both the sandwich and soup were very good, as was my café latte. The lunch menu has several sandwiches and salads and they also have a number of baked goods. I would definitely recommend venturing off the I-40 and stopping for coffee or lunch at this cute restaurant. And they were open on a Sunday, which you don't always find.

Reviewed 25 April 2018

Delicious food and wonderfully, friendly staff. Decent prices for great coffee and pastries in the morning. We want to return for lunch someday!

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

Driving home from Phoenix, day 2 we pulled off for gas and a bite. Googled an hour before and it sounded worth the try. It's in an old lumber yard with as much original preservation as possible. I ordered a 1/2 & 1/2...Chicken lasagna and a salad. My wife had a cup of broccoli/cheese soup. It went like this: Honey, taste this soup (taste). Wow, that's really good. She marveled over it so much (I haven't had bc soup this good ever; this is the best I've ever had etc); I wish I'd ordered a bowl rather than a cup. She ordered another cup. 20 minutes down the highway...ya know, that soup would be worth a trip down here from home (SW MO). Pretty sure she liked it. My lasagna was delicious as well... Tasty cheeses and tender chunks of chicken as were in my salad as well. Salad was fresh fresh and the healthy lettuce and croutons were topped with a nice ranch dressing. The house grind coffee was delicious and smooth. Service was efficient but like any prepare-as-you-order quality place, plan to spend a bit more time waiting...it comes out hot and tasty and worth any extra time. The deserts are choice morsels as well. A sky high chocolate 3-4 layer cake ... Decadent! Scones, melt in your mouth cookies and pastries. Coffee grinds in bags are available also as well as an assortment of 'foo-foo' coffee drinks (hot or cold). It's not a 52 flavor place but the considerable variety they offer is truly magnificent. Worth the ~mile North off I-40. Interesting atmosphere and gift shop but the food and coffee are great. Can't wait to go back.