“Terrible mattress, management does not honor upgrades for Marriott Gold Elite members”
Review of Courtyard Norman

Courtyard Norman
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Norman
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

Regarding the hotel: it is a great location for shopping, restaurants and proximity to OU. The exterior of the property looks a little tired and dated compared to other hotel chains immediately surrounding it. Interior has been recently updated and looks like any other standard Courtyard. My room was clean, however, the mattress was terrible. After pulling back the fitted sheets it was obvious that the mattresses had not been replaced in quite awhile.

I am loyal to Marriott hotels. It is my preferred brand everywhere I stay. I travel often and rarely ask for an upgrade- which is a complimentary benefit because I'm a Gold Elite member.
As stated on Marriott's website: "Complimentary Room Upgrades: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in."

I reserved a 2Queen room. When I checked in I asked if there were any 2Queen rooms available that also included a sleeper sofa since my oldest son decided to join us. I was informed there were some available and I politely requested to be upgraded to that room. I felt it was not an unreasonable request. The sweet girl at the front desk was new, she did try her best to accommodate me. She called her manager and told them I was a Gold Elite member and would like a room with a sleeper sofa. The manager said I could not upgrade because I booked the room using a military/govt rate. My husband is in the military, I work for the govt, we always use this rate and it has never been an issue. The manager stated that I would have to pay the difference to upgrade to a room with a sleeper sofa. In my opinion, this is an example of poor management.
My son was not joining us until the next day, so I checked out and stayed the next two nights across the road at another hotel chain. I travel to OKC/Norman frequently and I will not be staying here again.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Jenny H, General Manager at Courtyard Norman, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry to see we did not meet your expectations during your stay -- or ours. While your experience was not the norm, your review has been shared with our management team so that this is an isolated incident.

We hope we have the opportunity to improve your experience the next time you visit Norman.

Reviewed 1 June 2016

Good size room and comfortable bed and linens. A/C did not work properly, the maintenance staff was told and failed to repair it, making the room uncomfortable sleeping for two nights. Would try to stay at another hotel in the future.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2016

We drove here from Denison, barely missed another tornado today when we visited family in Noble,OK. Getting here was a welcome relief and a perfect respite from the earlier excitement! Upon arrival , the front desk associate,Tara, was great. My wife is very allergic to feathers and so we had requested "no feathers" in our room with our reservation. Because there was not certainty about the feathers,Tara volunteered to accompany my wife and I to the room to physically check the pillows and comforter. This personal attention was very unusual and greatly appreciated.

Room Tip: The lobb and first floor rooms have been recently renovated and are beautiful!
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2016

Stayed 4 nights, two rooms, family of four in March 2016.

The Good: The people that work here are very nice folks.

The Bad : The General Manager (initials JH) failed to follow through on any commitments to us. This includes during and after our stay.

The Ugly: Upon arrival in the room noticed towel bar has barely attached to the wall and fell to the floor when taking off the bath towel. Also, the microwave was a mess with the previous guest's dinner splattered throughout. Ok, so talk to very nice person at front desk who assures it will be taken care of. Come back 10 hours later and nope - nothing has been fixed. Go back down and talk to the GM - she assures will be fixed right away. Nope. Didn't happen. Next day they microwave is switched (two days into the stay). Towel bar still laying on the floor. Talked to the GM. She can't understand why not fixed......So she tells me she will credit points (we stayed on Marriott points) for one nights stay back to the account. OK fair enough. One week later, no points back to the account. Sent a very nice email to the GM reminding her of her offer. Now more than another week later - no points, not even the courtesy to respond to my email.

As they say, leadership defines how a business operates........

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2016

I was able to get a room without a reservation. The staff was really friendly. There were a few room issues, toilet lid was broken and the doors are heavy and the closers are not adjusted so they close very fast and the doors are really heavy.

Room Tip: Request a balcony room if available facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family