“Big Difference Between Queen & King”

Extended Stay America - Portland - Beaverton - Eider Court
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Beaverton
Reviewed 22 September 2009

UPDATE to previous review:

We found ourselves needing to use a hotel in this area a dozen times over the past few months. Every single time we bid on Priceline ($30 / night + tax, 2-stars in the Beaverton area) we were put in this hotel regardless of how many nights or which nights of the week. This is a STEAL since this hotel is usually $65 / night + tax online.

During our many stays we got to know it well. The Queen bed rooms have less square footage, older shower heads, smaller TVs, and are generally located in the "middle" of the hotel. The King rooms are very spacious and the furniture is arranged to make the desk and dining table more useable.

On once occasion we were upgraded into a King suite because nothing else was available. This room is huge with a larger kitchen, separate living area, two TVs and lots of seating. If you're planning a long stay and there are two of you, I would strongly consider booking this to make yourself more comfortable.

They provide coffee (just ask for more at the front desk) and were glad to give me an additional pan when I needed an extra one to cook something. The laundry room is big so you don't have to wait to use a machine, but each wash is $1.50 and each dry cycle is $1.50 - a little steep. One washing machine I used did turn two white garments a slight grey color. The other pros / cons I wrote before still apply, but I would reiterate that the front desk staff is very helpful and even went so far as to print my boarding pass for me at no charge when I was getting ready to leave.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank OpEd

Reviewed 28 April 2009

We were in the process of moving and required a place to stay. The bed was the hardest I have ever slept in. The room smelled and something caused us to itch. We checked out early.

• Stayed: April 2009
Extendedstayhotels, Manager-GRE at Extended Stay America - Portland - Beaverton - Eider Court, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2009

"I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Portland - Beaverton. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the bed in your suite. Please know how important your comfort is to us. We have chosen bedding that we think best fits our customers' needs, and we continue to look for new ways to satisfy everyone's sleeping preferences.

Reviewed 12 September 2008

Definitely a lesser-expensive, no-frills hotel. Good value for the money. Despite being near busy streets, its a fairly quiet location, because it is set back from the street about 150 yards. Also quiet because my room faced the yet-to-be-developed area behind the hotel. Walking distance to about 20 restaurants and a grocery store.

Other no-frills "features": wireless internet not included; housekeeping does only the basics (no washing dishes); kitchen appointments are minimal; towels replaced once/week (every day for $5). Definitely a good location for a budget hotel traveler.

Biggest downside for me is the thin walls & floors--you can hear all the other guests. We had someone above us who stayed up all night, and kept us awake, too. We heard every step they took. Probably won't be staying here again because of it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

"Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Portland - Beaverton. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

I am eager to respond to your issue. Please know that we strive to provide our guests with a relaxing home away from home experience. We do have systems in place to ensure that outside noise doesn't interfere with a guest's stay. Additionally, our hotels are constructed in such a way as to mitigate the noise from outside disturbances. In the event that you are disturbed by an outside event while in your room, a call to the front desk usually ensures a rapid resolution. In your case, we recognize that we failed to operate according to our standard practices, which caused the disturbance to last longer that it should have.

Reviewed 16 July 2008

our main goal for our Oregon visit this July was to visit family, so we wanted a decent hotel room just to shower and sleep in as we knew that we would mostly be out. so cheap and clean was what we were looking for--and we found it at this hotel. the furniture was new, the room itself had a kitchen with utensils which was kept quite clean, the bathroom was well stocked (although missing a hairdryer), and the bed was comfortable. Complaints that might be concerning to some are that there is no continental breakfast, you pay $4.99 for your ENTIRE stay for the use of their wireless internet, the walls aren't as thick as you may want it (so you hear your next door neighbor talking at night), housekeeping doesn't clean your room everyday and restock things unless you pay extra for it, and finally, eventhough we requested a non-smoking room, the smoke still seeped through the bathroom vent. But all in all, a good value the served it's purpose (we went on priceline and named our own price and paid $160 for three nights whereas our relatives who booked with hotels.com got it for $81 a night.)

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2007

Booked two King Suites at Homestead, Beaveryon, OR to be close to my family and was moved to Extended Stay just the night before check-in. They gave us one room which was much smaller than what I had booked and that too at the same price. Kitchen in both rooms ill-equipped with hardly any utensils and no coffee maker in one room....the dishes that were there were all dirty! There is no trash collection on Saturday or Sunday and the whole lobby stinks.

I left four voice mails for Operation Manager Tom on his cell and he did not have the courtesy to call back.

Overall a very bad experience, if you don't want to spoil your trip spend 20 bucks more somewhere else and enjoy Portland.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family